BLACK BARS ON PC SCREEN

GeorgeKellow

I locked my pc screen and went for a bath, I came back and there is black bars either side of my screen 

have you tried turning it off and on again?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Maybe a resolution problem? Go into settings and check on it to see if it's at native resolution or not.

2 minutes ago, Digital_ said:

Maybe a resolution problem? Go into settings and check on it to see if it's at native resolution or not.

Its at native 

Is your connection connected properly? I didn't put my cord in properly and it had black bars once.

Just now, Digital_ said:

Is your connection connected properly? I didn't put my cord in properly and it had black bars once.

Just took it out, cleaned it and put it back in. The text in windows is now really fuzzy looking 

Well then. Might be a faulty cable then. How old is the cable you're using and also what kind of cable is it?

Just now, Digital_ said:

Well then. Might be a faulty cable then. How old is the cable you're using and also what kind of cable is it?

I'm using a VGA cable and I have had it for about 9 months or so. I spent a bit on it for durability 

5 minutes ago, GeorgeKellow said:

I'm using a VGA cable and I have had it for about 9 months or so. I spent a bit on it for durability 

What exactly did you clean that cable with? 

Just now, GeorgeKellow said:

Compressed air 

Do you have any other VGA cables you can use to test if it's a faulty cable? You should really consider upgrading to a better cable btw. That is if you can support it like a HDMI, DVI, DP, etc.

2 minutes ago, Digital_ said:

What exactly did you clean that cable with? 

Just now, Digital_ said:

Do you have any other VGA cables you can use to test if it's a faulty cable? You should really consider upgrading to a better cable btw. That is if you can support it like a HDMI, DVI, DP, etc.

Give me a min and then I can check 

8 minutes ago, Digital_ said:

I have tried an HDMI cable, I had to resize it. It works. I will try VGA but I have installed latest driver 

17 minutes ago, Digital_ said:

VGA cable still doesnt work 

VGA cable still doesnt work 

There is a chance that there is a problem with your vga port itself in which case just use a different port.

39 minutes ago, Digital_ said:

Got a new VGA cable and its black bars again

22 minutes ago, Digital_ said:

There is a chance that there is a problem with your vga port itself in which case just use a different port.

Tried on my motherboard as well with both cables still the same problem 

Honestly, you might just want to stick with HDMI. VGA is an analog signal and is really seen as a poor choice in general as far as video is concerned.

Core i5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce | MSI Z170 Krait Gaming Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR4 2400 | NZXT S340 Red                                              EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo | Razer Blackwidow Tournament | Logitech G600 Razer Kraken USB                                                                                                            If you want me to see your post, please remember to quote me!

Just now, TrifectaIII said:

Honestly, you might just want to stick with HDMI. VGA is an analog signal and is really seen as a poor choice in general as far as video is concerned.

I've only got 1 HDMI port on my TV

I've only got 1 HDMI port on my TV

This might be the time to go buy another one then :)

Just now, Digital_ said:

This might be the time to go buy another one then :)

I've only just bought this tv 

I've only just bought this tv 

I meant the cable.

Just now, Digital_ said:

I meant the cable.

I just did buy a new cable, my supermarket sells them, I live two mins away from it xD