Skylake bclk??

BrisoX

Should i get i5-6400 for oc-ing via bclk or 6600k?

i already downloaded new bios for my Z170A krait gaming. but idk which processor to take. so i have moded BIOS and downloaded windows few days ago, so i could still update this moded BIOS and oc right?

WHITE MIST

CPU: I7 6700K @ 4,7GHz 1,38V GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 980 Strix @ 1568MHz RAM: G.Skill TridentZ 4x8GB 3200MHz CL16 MBO: MSI Krait gaming 3X Z170 PSU: Cooler Master VSM 750W CASE: Fractal Design Define S/window CPU COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 1,5TB Seagate Barracuda

PcPartPicker - White Mist

Vidox Production - Official page

Intel is blocking bclk overclocking, so I wouldn't as they can push out a microcode update through windows that will block it regardless of your bios. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Yep the money whores have to ruin all the fun.  This is why we can't have nice things.

"As Individuals we are weak like twigs but when we come together we become a mighty faggot"

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Intel is blocking bclk overclocking, so I wouldn't as they can push out a microcode update through windows that will block it regardless of your bios. 

yes, but if people already used this method, they can still use it until they update to new bios right?

Just now, Marziman said:

Yep the money whores have to ruin all the fun.  This is why we can't have nice things.

yea, so true...

WHITE MIST

CPU: I7 6700K @ 4,7GHz 1,38V GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 980 Strix @ 1568MHz RAM: G.Skill TridentZ 4x8GB 3200MHz CL16 MBO: MSI Krait gaming 3X Z170 PSU: Cooler Master VSM 750W CASE: Fractal Design Define S/window CPU COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 1,5TB Seagate Barracuda

3 minutes ago, BrisoX said:

yes, but if people already used this method, they can still use it until they update to new bios right?

Or until Intel forces a microcode update. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

Or until Intel forces a microcode update. 

which will be through windows i suppose?

WHITE MIST

15 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Downgrade to a stable, older OS (7, 8.1?) and refrain from updating both the BIOS and Windows itself? I don't know how much software functionality you'd sacrifice, but since Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 aren't receiving a ton of large updates, it probably isn't very much. Of course, you'd be giving up Windows 10, but it does seem like a justified trade for an overclocked processor.

14 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Isn't SetFSB or CPU-Tweaker a thing anymore?

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

1 minute ago, DEcobra11 said:

Or until BIOS modders blob out of nowhere with BIOSes and guides to set write protect

so actually, it won't be possible in the future right?

WHITE MIST

1 minute ago, BrisoX said:

so actually, it won't be possible in the future right?

It will always be possible, but Intel will try to annoy everyone.  You have to block Windows updates, and use certain bios'.

Just now, stconquest said:

It will always be possible, but Intel will try to annoy everyone.  You have to block Windows updates, and use certain bios'.

i have that certain BIOS. i downloaded it here for my MBO (http://overclocking.guide/msi-z170-non-k-overclocking-guide/)

and i downloaded windows 10 iso yesterday for my new pc. will that workout?

WHITE MIST

Just now, BrisoX said:

i have that certain BIOS. i downloaded it here for my MBO (http://overclocking.guide/msi-z170-non-k-overclocking-guide/)

and i downloaded windows 10 iso yesterday for my new pc. will that workout?

If you have the Pro version, you can stop automatic updates.  The microcode is what Intel uses for critical bug fixes and that is what they are using to disable the overclocking.  If you know what Windows update has the bad Intel microcode, you can block it.  If it gets through, you will have to re-flash the motherboard's bios.

Just now, DEcobra11 said:

For current mbs that can OC non-K CPUs you'll be able to OC in the future.

With new mbs in the future, unless intel is greedy enough to force physical changes in new MBs, you'll be able to OC on newer skylake mbs

i bought motherboard two days ago and it has oc possibility. it's Z170A krait gaming. so i can take i5-6400 and oc it in the future?

WHITE MIST

2 minutes ago, stconquest said:

If you have the Pro version, you can stop automatic updates.  The microcode is what Intel uses for critical bug fixes and that is what they are using to disable the overclocking.  If you know what Windows update has the bad Intel microcode, you can block it.  If it gets through, you will have to re-flash the motherboard's bios.

i can download PRO version from the internet today and stop the updates

WHITE MIST

2 minutes ago, BrisoX said:

i can download PRO version from the internet today and stop the updates

There are a few other quirks with the BCLK overclocking:

-You will lose the iGPU.

-You will lose the ability to read the temp of separate cores.

1 minute ago, DEcobra11 said:

As long as you don't update to the "locked" BIOS (and maybe some windows updates), yes

yes, i know the downsides.. but the i5-6600k is just a bit exepnsive + water cooling for it.. oh boy..

WHITE MIST

31 minutes ago, BrisoX said:

yes, i know the downsides.. but the i5-6600k is just a bit exepnsive + water cooling for it.. oh boy..

why would you watercool it? a 30$ air cooler will get the job done just fine...

in fact are you aware of the problems with overclocking the locked i5-6400? it means that you have to disable all the powersaving features (C-State and variable voltages) and the CPU will not longer trottle down...it will run full clock and full voltages all the time...it will also disable the thermal diode on the CPU so you cannot even tell how hot it run...and intel will force a microcode update through windows it's been said already so it will no longer work in the future.

here, listen to this video at precisely 13:52 (in fact you should listen to all of it, but at 13:52 will tell you why you should get the 6600K if you own a Z170 board)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

10 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

why would you watercool it? a 30$ air cooler will get the job done just fine...

in fact are you aware of the problems with overclocking the locked i5-6400? it means that you have to disable all the powersaving features (C-State and variable voltages) and the CPU will not longer trottle down...it will run full clock and full voltages all the time...it will also disable the thermal diode on the CPU so you cannot even tell how hot it run...and intel will force a microcode update through windows it's been said already so it will no longer work in the future.

here, listen to this video at precisely 13:52 (in fact you should listen to all of it, but at 13:52 will tell you why you should get the 6600K if you own a Z170 board)

okay, will go for 6600k, but what is the best cooler i can get to fit my mastercase pro 5?

WHITE MIST

3 minutes ago, BrisoX said:

okay, will go for 6600k, but what is the best cooler i can get to fit my mastercase pro 5?

this bad boy will offer a lot of cooling for the price...you can take the chip pretty high with somehting like that without worrying about temps:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cryorig-cpu-cooler-h7

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 minute ago, BrisoX said:

Look at the BeQuiet Pure Rock, or the Cryorig H7... both are around $35.

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

this bad boy will offer a lot of cooling for the price...you can take the chip pretty high with somehting like that without worrying about temps:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cryorig-cpu-cooler-h7

what about hyper 212?

1 minute ago, stconquest said:

Look at the BeQuiet Pure Rock, or the Cryorig H7... both are around $35.

don't have these in my stores. i'm in Croatia...

only these

http://www.adm.hr/subcategory.asp?subcate=hladnjaci-cpu&cate=hladnjaci&id=183

WHITE MIST

Just now, BrisoX said:

what about hyper 212?

yes the hyper 212 will do just fine as well.

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

yes the hyper 212 will do just fine as well.

okay, cheap and good. i even won't do a lot of OC-ing. mid range only

also, in video says that i get the fastest RAM i can. what do you suggest?

WHITE MIST

Just now, stconquest said:

The 212 is just as good as the others, but it is noticeably louder.  The fan is loud but, for the money, the 212 is really good.

actually the included fan with the hyper 212 ain't bad at all...you just have to set a fancurve for it so that it won't spin too fast for no reasons...i did swapped the fans on mine but it was mostly for better looks....cause the stock fan was working perfectly fine for me.