Racks on racks on racks!

megadarkwood

(sorry, I couldent think of a better name :P )

What would be a nice rack for my house that can hold my storage server and my networking stuff? (Router, switch, modem .etc)

I don't really want a lack rack, I want a real rack..

I would like it to be as cheap as possible and from a Canadian site please! 

Thanks! :D

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

How many U's do you think you need?

Does anyone even use PCIe SSDs?

Do you want mobility? 

Do you want mobility? 

Nope, It will stay in one place

How many U's do you think you need?

Im not sure, 25?

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Im not sure, 25?

do you really need 25 Us? how many servers are you sticking in there and how many Us do they take up?

You are currently running a laptop right now...and you always complain about budget.

How in the world are you going to afford so many servers?

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

You are currently running a laptop right now...and you always complain about budget.

He has to put his money somewhere? 

Fill the rack with taped together stacks of bills?

He's 13...

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

Im not sure, 25?

25 is nearly 3/4 of an entire rack. An entire rack normally has 3 phase power and 10 gigabit supply. 

The power bill for running a rack that size would be huge. 

25 is nearly 3/4 of an entire rack. An entire rack normally has 3 phase power and 10 gigabit supply. 

The power bill for running a rack that size would be huge. 

I want to leave some space for upgrades, I will probably use like 6 at the start

@megadarkwood posts = 1337.

Not anymore :P

correction: "he has to put his parents money somewhere" :P

He's 13...

Fill the rack with taped together stacks of bills?

Birthday is in 3 days :P

Birthday is in 3 days :P

...eh congrats 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

...eh congrats 

Hey, I get quite a lot of money and I have to spend it somewhere!

Hey, I get quite a lot of money and I have to spend it somewhere!

COUGH giveaway COUGH 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

COUGH giveaway COUGH 

Sounds like you have a cold.

tylenol.jpg

I want to leave some space for upgrades, I will probably use like 6 at the start

"use like 6?" what do you have right now and what are you planning to add? I would look at something between 8 and 12U rather than 25.. 

"use like 6?" what do you have right now and what are you planning to add? I would look at something between 8 and 12U rather than 25.. 

I was going to have a 4U server and a few switches .etc. I have multiple servers that will go in there also once I get the cases

I was going to have a 4U server and a few switches .etc. I have multiple servers that will go in there also once I get the cases

To be honest a rack would be a waste of money and may be worth more that the equipment in it (assuming it was cheap ebay servers) you would be better off building a lack rack. 

To be honest a rack would be a waste of money and may be worth more that the equipment in it (assuming it was cheap ebay servers) you would be better off building a lack rack. 

I dont want a lack rack....

And they are fully custom build storage servers made by me

Startech may have what your looking for, however I haven't used it yet, so i'm not sure how good or bad it is but it should work for what you need.

http://ca.startech.com/Server-Management/Racks/12U-4-Post-Open-Frame-Server-Equipment-Rack-Adjustable-Posts-and-Casters~4POSTRACK12A

Looks like it is available at a few resellers here in Canada. You can get bigger, but I would stick with a 12u and go from there. Looks like it will include cage nuts and bolts as well.

He complains about budget so he can get this