Help

Goot

PCpartpicker comes out to 293 watts. Would a 430 psu work? or should i get a 500

yes.  430 is fine, if it's a good one.  What is it?

You know, for that matter, what's the rest of the system too, so we can check that 293 is reasonable?

Edited by Ryan_Vickers

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

yes 430 will work. but if the 500 is only like a dollar or two more get the 500 watt. For example many graphics cards recommend you have a 500 watt power supply at least (970, 980)

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

yes.  430 is fine, if it's a good one.  What is it?

EVGA 430W 80+ certified. It's cheap, that's why I want it. I'm working on a budget build

Just now, FatPenguin said:

yes 430 will work. but if the 500 is only like a dollar or two more get the 500 watt. For example many graphics cards recommend you have a 500 watt power supply at least (970, 980)

I'm getting a 4gb 960

1 minute ago, Goot said:

EVGA 430W 80+ certified. It's cheap, that's why I want it. I'm working on a budget build

Hm, well that one is cheap for a reason... according to the ranking here that rates lower than a CX... I would see if you can find something better for a similar cost.  sometimes really good quality ones are on steep discount.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Goot said:

I'm getting a 4gb 960

that does not need a 500 watt PSU

Good luck on your build post a topic when you are done. we would love to see it :D

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Hm, well that one is cheap for a reason... according to the ranking here that rates lower than a CX... I would see if you can find something better for a similar cost.  sometimes really good quality ones are on steep discount.

2 minutes ago, Goot said:

430 is enough. I'm always using cx500m for single gpu builds. workx for my 980 and my friends 960 4gb, 290/x and 770 4gb

wow... pretty empty here...

Just now, das affe said:

430 is enough. I'm always using cx500m for single gpu builds. workx for my 980 and my friends 960 4gb, 290/x and 770 4gb

Well lets see what the experts think :P

@Aniallation @STRMfrmXMN

11 minutes ago, Goot said:

I'm getting a 4gb 960

WAIT LET ME TALK YOU INTO GOING WITH AN AMD GPU

Edited by Ryoutarou97
No, but actually.

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

@Aniallation @STRMfrmXMN

"experts" :D

Just now, das affe said:

"experts" :D

meh, they're better in this area than I am so for or against what I said, I'd like to know what they think :)

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

meh, they're better in this area than I am so for or against what I said, I'd like to know what they think :)

nothing to say against that :) 

12 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

@Aniallation @STRMfrmXMN

980 and 960 are fine

770 is pushing it a bit

I would not run a 290/x on any CX unless the PSU is well-ventilated. 

"Rawr XD"

9 minutes ago, Aniallation said:

980 and 960 are fine

770 is pushing it a bit

I would not run a 290/x on any CX unless the PSU is well-ventilated. 

So what about a 960 on a tier 7? (previous comments)

26 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

@Aniallation @STRMfrmXMN

summon the PSU gods

46 minutes ago, das affe said:

I mean, I generally recommend nothing more than a GTX 960 or R9 380 on AMD for a Corsair CX. I'd definitely take it out of the 980 system if possible.

50 minutes ago, Goot said:

I'm getting a 4gb 960

I'd up the PSU quality just a little, maybe to a 500B or CX430M.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

2 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I mean, I generally recommend nothing more than a GTX 960 or R9 380 on AMD for a Corsair CX. I'd definitely take it out of the 980 system if possible.

I'd up the PSU quality just a little, maybe to a 500B or CX430M.

OMG He replied! 

ILKu04i.jpg

43 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

So what about a 960 on a tier 7? (previous comments)

Honestly I wouldn't run anything on a tier 7 because it's a very small price increase to step up to a tier 6 anyways

"Rawr XD"

20 minutes ago, Aniallation said:

Honestly I wouldn't run anything on a tier 7 because it's a very small price increase to step up to a tier 6 anyways

So OP should probably get something other than the 430w? :)