Changed my GPU and CPU fan stopped working

Hello,

I recently decided to upgrade my GPU. Friend gave me his old Gygabyte GTX 660 and I swapped my Gygabyte GTX 550ti with it. And a VERY odd problem occured. My cpu fan stopped spinning and only twitches 3 times, 1 second interval between twitches, the third twitch is very minor, and then the twitching stops for 5 seconds and it starts twitching again. The twitching was happening when i had my olg gpu, but only when computer was booting up, once it booted up, the cpu fan would spin at the highest speed and then slow down to its normal speed. I've tried changing settings in BIOS, didnt help, the fan is not spinning. Thanks for the help in advance!

My specs:

Motherboard: Gygabyte H61M-D2H-USB3;

Power: Corsair CX600;

Cpu: Intel Core i5 2500k with stock heatsink and fan;

So am I understanding this right, it works but occasionally it does the twitch thing? Try disconnecting the fan and then reconnecting.

If I use words like probably or most likely, it is because I dislike certainty. These words can probably be omitted and the sentence read as a certainty.

1 minute ago, NTF5252 said:

So am I understanding this right, it works but occasionally it does the twitch thing? Try disconnecting the fan and then reconnecting.

It's not working at all, only twitching. I've tried disconnecting it multiple times. I've also tried plugging cpu fan into system fan socket, if the computer is just left idle the cpu fan wont stop, but if I start any game the cpu fan stops after some time.

15 minutes ago, Eimas25 said:

It's not working at all, only twitching. I've tried disconnecting it multiple times. I've also tried plugging cpu fan into system fan socket, if the computer is just left idle the cpu fan wont stop, but if I start any game the cpu fan stops after some time.

Try getting a can of compressed air and blowing out the middle part (where the motor is located) of the fan. The twitching means that something is stuck and the fan is trying to spin up again. You might have gotten something stuck when changing parts.

Quote me if you want me to see your message. Like my post if it helped. Click "Show More" to see things that I use.

Desktop (2014): CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k @ 3.50GHz | GPU: MSi GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Motherboard: MSi Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill RipJaws X 1600MHz + 2x4GB HyperX Black 1600MHz | SSD: Samsung 750 Evo 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212x | PSU: Corsair VS650 | Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus | OS: Windows 10 Home

Laptop (2017): Model: Asus UX310U

Peripherals: Monitor: Samsung S24D300 OC@75Hz + Viewsonic XG2401 (144Hz) | Mouse: Logitech G305 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 | Headset: HyperX Cloud Core | Speakers: Logitech Z333 | Additional: Logitech G29

Mobiles: Samsung Pixon (2010-2012) | Samsung Galaxy Ace (2012-2013) | Samsung Galaxy S3 (2013-2016) | Samsung Note 4 (2015)(Lost) | Samsung Galaxy S7 (2016-2019) | Samsung Galaxy S10 (2019 - Current) | Additional: ASUS Zenwatch 2 (2016)

Just now, Silyy097 said:

Try getting a can of compressed air and blowing out the middle part (where the motor is located) of the fan. The twitching means that something is stuck and the fan is trying to spin up again. You might have gotten something stuck when changing parts.

If I put my old card in, the fan works just fine.

Just now, Eimas25 said:

If I put my old card in, the fan works just fine.

Huh, thats weird. Try spinning the fan in the direction of the blade manually and see if the fan can catch up from there.

Quote me if you want me to see your message. Like my post if it helped. Click "Show More" to see things that I use.

Desktop (2014): CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k @ 3.50GHz | GPU: MSi GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Motherboard: MSi Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill RipJaws X 1600MHz + 2x4GB HyperX Black 1600MHz | SSD: Samsung 750 Evo 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212x | PSU: Corsair VS650 | Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus | OS: Windows 10 Home

Peripherals: Monitor: Samsung S24D300 OC@75Hz + Viewsonic XG2401 (144Hz) | Mouse: Logitech G305 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 | Headset: HyperX Cloud Core | Speakers: Logitech Z333 | Additional: Logitech G29

Mobiles: Samsung Pixon (2010-2012) | Samsung Galaxy Ace (2012-2013) | Samsung Galaxy S3 (2013-2016) | Samsung Note 4 (2015)(Lost) | Samsung Galaxy S7 (2016-2019) | Samsung Galaxy S10 (2019 - Current) | Additional: ASUS Zenwatch 2 (2016)

Just now, Silyy097 said:

Huh, thats weird. Try spinning the fan in the direction of the blade manually and see if the fan can catch up from there.

I tried, nothing happened.

Just now, Eimas25 said:

I tried, nothing happened.

Try a different fan port?

4 minutes ago, Silyy097 said:

Try a different fan port?

I tried. But my motherboard has only one cpu fan port so I plugged the fan into the port for system fan. It worked but only for some time then stopped and started twitching only.

Do you have any fan controllers laying around you can test with?

MSI Nightblade MI2

CPU: Intel i7 6700. Motherboard: MSI B060. RAM: 16GB HyperX Impact. GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 970. Case: Nightblade MI2. Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue, OCZ 120GB and 125GB M.2. PSU: Custom 350w Bronze. Display(s): BenQ 24" & 50" Samsung TV. Keyboard: Logitech G15. Mouse: Logitech MX Revolution. Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64

Just now, Ruhel said:

Do you have any fan controllers laying around you can test with?

No

Does the system post and boot to Windows? 

MSI Nightblade MI2

CPU: Intel i7 6700. Motherboard: MSI B060. RAM: 16GB HyperX Impact. GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 970. Case: Nightblade MI2. Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue, OCZ 120GB and 125GB M.2. PSU: Custom 350w Bronze. Display(s): BenQ 24" & 50" Samsung TV. Keyboard: Logitech G15. Mouse: Logitech MX Revolution. Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64

Just now, Ruhel said:

Does the system post and boot to Windows? 

Yes it boots

Can you use speedfan application to get the CPU fan spinning. You may need an external fan to blow air on to you CPU cooler whilst in Windows as obviously you wont have effective cooling. Is the power draw for your new card higher than the old card?

MSI Nightblade MI2

I will try that. The new card needs about 50 wats more than the old one.

I am in no way an expert but could there be an issue where the motherboard is not supplying enough power to the CPU fan to get it started? I would have no idea how to troubleshoot that. If SpeenFan get the fan going then this will obviously not be the case.

MSI Nightblade MI2

The speedfan shows RPM only when the fan twitches. the power is set to 100% but the fan is only twitching. I dont thinks its the power issue bucause my system fans and my cpu fan works with the new card when CPU is in sys fan socket and system fans are in cpu fan socket. HOWEVER when the cpu fan is in cpu fan's socket and system fans are in the system fan's socket only the cpu fan does not work.

most likely your PSU is undersized. this os common behavior for when you stick a huge gpu on a small psu

most likely your PSU is undersized. this os common behavior for when you stick a huge gpu on a small psu. what are your system specs and what power supply do you have

11 minutes ago, Conan1600 said:

most likely your PSU is undersized. this os common behavior for when you stick a huge gpu on a small psu. what are your system specs and what power supply do you have

Its all mentioned in my topic

My specs:

Motherboard: Gygabyte H61M-D2H-USB3;

Power: Corsair CX600;

Cpu: Intel Core i5 2500k with stock heatsink and fan