Romer-G vs Cherry MX Brown noise

Squirrel724

How do the romer-g switches compare volume wise to the cherry mx browns. I was wondering how loud they are compared to the cherry browns on the g710+. Are they quieter than the browns? I was looking at a g810 for use in my dorm.

Most of the noise of a keyboard is actually the keys bottoming out on the backplate. Personally I would go with a cherry MX brown board with an o-ring mod for extra silence unless you're in love with the Romger-G switches and the rest of the board. I would go to your local Microcenter or Fry's and see which keyboard you like more.

ASU

Just now, Hackentosher said:

Most of the noise of a keyboard is actually the keys bottoming out on the backplate. Personally I would go with a cherry MX brown board with an o-ring mod for extra silence unless you're in love with the Romger-G switches and the rest of the board. I would go to your local Microcenter or Fry's and see which keyboard you like more.

I actually have a g710+ right now with the factory o-rings. I find it to be rather echo-y, especially the spacebar. I was wondering if the romer-g switches were quieter than the g710+.

2 hours ago, Squirrel724 said:

I actually have a g710+ right now with the factory o-rings. I find it to be rather echo-y, especially the spacebar. I was wondering if the romer-g switches were quieter than the g710+.

They probably are. That being said, the echo that you are experiencing is probably due to the stabilizers, and/or the fact that the spacebar will produce a different tone, since it's a larger key.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

2 hours ago, Squirrel724 said:

I thought the g710+ didn't come with o-rings?

ASU

On 2/21/2016 at 2:54 AM, huilun02 said:

They do

indeed! 

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

1 hour ago, MashiroShiina said:

Romer-G sounds like a membrane keyboard... they're way quieter than MX Browns

I bet they aren't quieter than Matias Quiet Click/Quiet Linear!

Hey! New SIgnature! 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys if you're looking for o-rings that won't break the bank but still deliver optimal effects you should take a look here : http://tigri.bigcartel.com/product/125-epdm-rubber-o-rings-for-cherry-mx-switch-keyboards 

These O-rings are 40A and 1.5 mm (0.059 inch) thick. The best choice if you want to keep the "click" but get rid of the "clack" on your mechanical keyboard.

They offer fast worldwide shipping and are not overpriced like most online resellers.

Edited by Tigri

2 hours ago, Tigri said:

Hi guys if you're looking for o-rings that won't break the bank but still deliver optimal effects you should take a look here : http://tigri.bigcartel.com/product/125-epdm-rubber-o-rings-for-cherry-mx-switch-keyboards 

These O-rings are 40A and 1.5 mm (0.059 inch) thick. The best choice if you want to keep the "click" but get rid of the "clack" on your mechanical keyboard.

They offer fast worldwide shipping and are not overpriced like most online resellers.

I didn't know solicitation was alowed on ltt. Besides, even orthodontic grade rubber bands work just fine as dampners, I use them in my board. 

ASU

Topic is about o-rings just bringing in some advice. You are not obligated to buy anything so feel free to keep using what works best for you

If orthodontic grade rubber bands work for you that's fine.Not everyone thinks about it the same way. Clearly you have never tried real o-rings.

On 3/18/2016 at 2:51 PM, Tigri said:

Topic is about o-rings just bringing in some advice. You are not obligated to buy anything so feel free to keep using what works best for you

If orthodontic grade rubber bands work for you that's fine.Not everyone thinks about it the same way. Clearly you have never tried real o-rings.

Topic is about key switches not o-rings. I am already using o-rings as the g710+ already comes with o-rings installed. Also solicitation tends to be frowned upon.

well i would kindly remove the post but i don't see any option to do so. you can report it if you want 

Honestly the best thing you can do is go to a local big box store (I know ew) and test out each switch and if the sound bothers you get a silent keyboard like the strafe with Cherry MX silent switches.

On 3/18/2016 at 9:00 AM, Tigri said:

Wait... O rings break the bank? It's not like O rings are expensive in the first place, and as mentioned, dental bands do really work just fine if you're looking for a budget solution (not that o rings are all that expensive in the first place.)

Hey! New SIgnature!