CPU Upgrade Halp

CaptainCadmium

So I've narrowed down what I'm gonna upgrade in my PC, so it's just a case of what to go for. I can't quite decide whether to go z170 or x99 for a mixture of Audio Production and Gaming. More specifically, the i7 6700k or the i7 5820k. I can find both including a motherboard and 16GB of RAM for a similar price. 

I'm really stuck aha, because my reasoning is that the more cores and cache will be beneficial to the audio production side, but the newer Skylake CPU's would be more efficient.

Any help would be appreciated! 

If you have to pick between those 2 and they are the same price for you the 5820k is the way to go since it will be useful for longer and out performs the 6700k in almost everything, as for power consumption you only need to worry about that if power rates in your area are extremely high, Belgium is an example of that, otherwise don't worry about the power consumption to much.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

5 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

If you have to pick between those 2 and they are the same price for you the 5820k is the way to go since it will be useful for longer and out performs the 6700k in almost everything, as for power consumption you only need to worry about that if power rates in your area are extremely high, Belgium is an example of that, otherwise don't worry about the power consumption to much.

Yeah would agree. 5820K is a much better chip for performance.

+1 for 5820k

Also offers facility of 3x SLI, more PCI lanes for m.2 drives etc

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

i7 5820k all day.

2 more cores and more threads.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.