**need serious networking help** Troubleshooting an IP camera over a wireless hotspot

tcolecruz

So I made this post a while back, which explains my situation. please do not reply before reading

Essentially I'm in a similar situation now. I'm not sure if Sprint will be a viable option for my network, and I can't figure out how to connect the camera to the Sprint router in the first place. I've checked and a PC client won't be possible, and neither will wifi. If anyone had any suggestions, they would be much appreciated as I am getting paid for this and would like to figure out a solution. Srry i'm not that good with networking...

One side note: Would it be possible to run a super long optical cable to the camera (like @LinusTech did with his PC) to the camera itself and to a PC at the bottom of the mountain? 

Thank you so much for your time.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460Motherboard: Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GBStorage: A-Data Premier Pro SP900 128GBGPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X OC Video CardCase: Corsair SPEC-01 REDPower Supply: EVGA 600BNetworking Card: TP-Link TL-WDN4800Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" MonitorKeyboard: Razer BlackWidow Tournament Edition (Cherry MX Blue) Mouse: Logitech G100s | Quote me and say "Dope Flamingo" if you actually read this. 

In looking at both posts, this seems like a difficult situation.

Assuming no ISP level filtering, an IP camera over a hotspot can work if there is no double NAT, though there are security risks since some IP cameras limit the password length and character space which opens them up to brute forcing. Other than that, if constant monitoring is needed, then prepare for nation state bankrupting data fees.

If you are up for the fees, then while risky in its own way, a cloud reliant IP camera may be the best bet.

For connecting it to a hotspot, does the foscam device have an Ethernet jack that you can use first in order to configure it to connect to the hotspot, as well as allow WAN access?

If you were to run a fiber cable, how long would it need to be? Would something like this work? http://www.amazon.com/TRIPP-Converter-Gigabit-Ethernet-N785-001-SC/dp/B003CNLQM8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1455950044&sr=8-3&keywords=fiber+optic+ethernet

53 minutes ago, Razor512 said:

In looking at both posts, this seems like a difficult situation.

Assuming no ISP level filtering, an IP camera over a hotspot can work if there is no double NAT, though there are security risks since some IP cameras limit the password length and character space which opens them up to brute forcing. Other than that, if constant monitoring is needed, then prepare for nation state bankrupting data fees.

If you are up for the fees, then while risky in its own way, a cloud reliant IP camera may be the best bet.

For connecting it to a hotspot, does the foscam device have an Ethernet jack that you can use first in order to configure it to connect to the hotspot, as well as allow WAN access?

If you were to run a fiber cable, how long would it need to be? Would something like this work? http://www.amazon.com/TRIPP-Converter-Gigabit-Ethernet-N785-001-SC/dp/B003CNLQM8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1455950044&sr=8-3&keywords=fiber+optic+ethernet

The hotspot doesn't have an Ethernet jack, but the camera does.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460Motherboard: Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GBStorage: A-Data Premier Pro SP900 128GBGPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X OC Video CardCase: Corsair SPEC-01 REDPower Supply: EVGA 600BNetworking Card: TP-Link TL-WDN4800Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" MonitorKeyboard: Razer BlackWidow Tournament Edition (Cherry MX Blue) Mouse: Logitech G100s | Quote me and say "Dope Flamingo" if you actually read this. 

With foscam cameras, you typically have to begin the initial setup using Ethernet, there you can specify and SSID and password for the network you want it to connect to. Then depending on the camera (I only have experience with their older models), you can then enter in your dynamic DNS info (as you will likely not have a static IP), then you can enable WAN access (it if restricts access to your local network range by default).

PS some IP cameras require multiple ports to forward, e.g., for remote access, some may need port 80 and port 9000. If the router supports upnp you can also use that.

Also be sure to check if the 4G modem is using an IPv4 or IPv6 address. Some may cause a 4to6 tunnel to be used which can make it a bit difficult to access some devices remotely. In those cases, you may have to check if your 4G hotspot offers the option to enter in an IPv4 APN.

23 hours ago, Razor512 said:

With foscam cameras, you typically have to begin the initial setup using Ethernet, there you can specify and SSID and password for the network you want it to connect to. Then depending on the camera (I only have experience with their older models), you can then enter in your dynamic DNS info (as you will likely not have a static IP), then you can enable WAN access (it if restricts access to your local network range by default).

PS some IP cameras require multiple ports to forward, e.g., for remote access, some may need port 80 and port 9000. If the router supports upnp you can also use that.

Also be sure to check if the 4G modem is using an IPv4 or IPv6 address. Some may cause a 4to6 tunnel to be used which can make it a bit difficult to access some devices remotely. In those cases, you may have to check if your 4G hotspot offers the option to enter in an IPv4 APN.

I've set the camera up over WiFi with their Android app which works fine. Then, I can access its settings on my computer no problem. Thank you for the advice. What would I need to set my Port(s) to? Right now I have my port forward set as 8093 on the camera and port forward, which I thought should work. I'm going to try resetting the camera along with some other things. Are you interested in helping me further with this project? It's really hard to find much help with these Foscam cameras and your time is much appreciated.

I can try to provide any help that I can, though the latest foscam camera that I have experience with using, is the foscam 8905.

With upnp, it was able to automatically add the needed port forwards for WAN access, though i eventually ended up blocking its WAN access so that I could get to it using a VPN (mainly since it had no protection from passwords being brute forced).

If possible, as short term test, if the hotspot offers a DMZ option, then you can put the camera on the DMZ and see if you can access it remotely. if you can't then it means that the traffic is either trying to go through a 4to6 tunnel, or hosted on IPv6 only, or the cell service company is blocking the traffic.

PS, if you plan to run the camera 24/7, then data usage can get pretty high, pushing upwards of 5 Mbps for a 720p feed, while cloud reliant cameras can often do 1080p at around 1 Mbps using a ton of compression. Cameras hat are more focused on local recording to an NVR are able to prioritize quality over data savings. If your camera did that, and you ran it over a 4G connection, then it would use 1.62TB of data within a month (for just 1 camera).

Overall, it should not be complex.

Oh my god. Anything close to 100gb (much less 1,682) of data usage would be completely unheard of and would probably prevent my client from using the setup. Guess it's back to the drawing board... what are some alternatives if there's not a close WiFi signal? Could I use an antennae possibly to connect to a distant wifi network?

Data usage can be saved if you run the cameras at like 320x240 resolution, or 640x480 at 15FPS, but the lower the resolution and detail, the less likely the police will be able to use the footage. Overall, for recorded footage, they need to be able to spot unique features of the person in cases where a crime happens and the criminal is arrested at a later date. If the only evidence it video and they can cast doubt on the video (is it the person in question or is it someone else who looks similar).

If you only want on demand viewing then the data usage will not be an issue, even at 1080p at 30FPS, but for 24/7 usage, it is difficult to get by with 4G unless they are wiling to offer a true unlimited plan.

If you have a location with a proper internet connection (no caps), then it is possible to use a separate router and create a wireless bridge, and replacing the external antennas on both ends. This can work if you have line of sight and are within a half mile or so.

6 hours ago, Razor512 said:

Data usage can be saved if you run the cameras at like 320x240 resolution, or 640x480 at 15FPS, but the lower the resolution and detail, the less likely the police will be able to use the footage. Overall, for recorded footage, they need to be able to spot unique features of the person in cases where a crime happens and the criminal is arrested at a later date. If the only evidence it video and they can cast doubt on the video (is it the person in question or is it someone else who looks similar).

If you only want on demand viewing then the data usage will not be an issue, even at 1080p at 30FPS, but for 24/7 usage, it is difficult to get by with 4G unless they are wiling to offer a true unlimited plan.

If you have a location with a proper internet connection (no caps), then it is possible to use a separate router and create a wireless bridge, and replacing the external antennas on both ends. This can work if you have line of sight and are within a half mile or so.

To my knowledge this isn't really being used for surveillance footage, but rather to monitor the state of various solar panels which my client has set up. It will just be on demand viewing, so thanks for clearing that issue up as well.