Astro a40+mixamp or Hyperx cloud+mixamp

sbocky

hey guys, 

One little question. Which one has the best sound? I own bove of them, don't ask me why, but i'm not really an audiophile and i'm curious which one is better. I'm almost sure that the Astro has better soundquality, but I just want some feedback. The astro is from 2011 btw.

I'm pretty sure the Astro A40 has better sound

- Cloud user

I'm a fucking AMD kawaii weeaboo desu I have seen the light

i5 6600k EVGA 980 FTW Z170A PC Mate 1TB WD Blue240GB SSD Plus NZXT S340 | EVGA 600b  | Dedotated 8GB

Of the 2 which would have the best audio quality? The HyperX Cloud hands down. On top of that the build quality is worlds better as the Astro feels pretty much like a cheap chinese plastic toy. That said though, if you own both, what sounds better to YOUR ears?

MSI Z97M Gaming | i7-4790k | NZXT Kraken X61 | 16GB Kingston Savage DDR3 2400
EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2

@sobe , for me, the astro a40 sounds better. But why would the cloud sound better?

So you have both? Do you have the ability to form an opinion? If you answered yes to both then this is what you do....... listen to them and use whatever one you think to be best.

Point is, they're both lower end headphones and everyone has different opinions on what sounds good. 

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3

28 minutes ago, sbocky said:

@sobe , for me, the astro a40 sounds better. But why would the cloud sound better?

Better drivers and design for the most part (not talking looks), but that's all good, you like the sound of the Astros better, so it would be my opinion to just stick with the Astros if those sound better to you.

EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2

3 hours ago, sbocky said:

hey guys, 

One little question. Which one has the best sound? I own bove of them, don't ask me why, but i'm not really an audiophile and i'm curious which one is better. I'm almost sure that the Astro has better soundquality, but I just want some feedback. The astro is from 2011 btw.

Astros aren't worth their price, they fall into the overpriced category. I use the mixamp for connecting my Sennheiser 558s and modmic to my PS4 which works great but the headphones aren't that great for their cost, they are also tuned to hear footsteps and gun shots easier which takes away from other things like music or movies (similar to how beats are tuned for bass but they fall short on the other frequencies).

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

@Ryoku , ive had these astros since 2011, so i already bought them. Also i bought the clouds a year ago, and i cant decide which soundstage is better. The clouds have a wider frequency, higher impendance, and are overall more comfortable to me. Still the astros sound a bit different to me, more clean sounds. 

Btw in the upcoming week im going to buy the sennheiser game one, same as you have, but the overpriced one. Im just asking this in this thread because im curious about it.

from my understanding the sennheiser game headsets are good, but you may be better off going with a mod mic and then the best pair of headphones you can afford (that's what I did).  But the Games will probably be fine unless your super picky.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

@Ryoku , seems like thats a good option in your country. In my country the modmic costs 57 euro and the sennheiser 558 costs 127 euro. The game one costs in total 189 euro and the one with the modmic 184. So im going for the one which matches my colorscheme, just for fun(5euros more)

Just now, sbocky said:

@Ryoku , seems like thats a good option in your country. In my country the modmic costs 57 euro and the sennheiser 558 costs 127 euro. The game one costs in total 189 euro and the one with the modmic 184. So im going for the one which matches my colorscheme, just for fun(5euros more)

@Ryoku , nvm the sennheiser 558 costs 143 euro, and the modmic 62 euro. its even more expensive then the "gaming" headset. 

30 minutes ago, Ryoku said:

Astros aren't worth their price, they fall into the overpriced category. I use the mixamp for connecting my Sennheiser 558s and modmic to my PS4 which works great but the headphones aren't that great for their cost, they are also tuned to hear footsteps and gun shots easier which takes away from other things like music or movies (similar to how beats are tuned for bass but they fall short on the other frequencies).

If you are referring to the HD558's as "tuned to hear footsteps which takes away from music", you would be mistaken. But, in the context of your post it sounds like it is aimed at the Sennies.

21 minutes ago, Ryoku said:

from my understanding the sennheiser game headsets are good, but you may be better off going with a mod mic and then the best pair of headphones you can afford (that's what I did).  But the Games will probably be fine unless your super picky.

The G4ME One is basically the 598 in headset form factor with a Sennheiser mic.

@sobe ,  the game one should be way better than the astro/ cloud right? 

4 minutes ago, sbocky said:

@sobe ,  the game one should be way better than the astro/ cloud right? 

Most definitely, and the open back design is perfect for FPS soundstage. It does come back to that subjective point though of what sounds good to you. The HD558/598 are a great all-rounder set to have though that excels remarkably for positional audio and I would sooner have a pair of 558 or 598 over the Cloud or Astro.

I have a Astro A50 and Seinheisser 598.  I've only used the Cloud I but not the Cloud II.  The Astros sound is much better than the Cloud I.  Neither Astros or Clouds are as detailed as the 598 however.  If you have the A40s and the mixamp I would stick with that setup.  Can't imagine the A40s sounding any different than the A50s.

@2jzo ,  the clouds 1 is the same as thr 2. The thing is,  the cloud should have the better sound but the astros sound way clearer. Anyway my astro is 5 years old,  im getting aanoyed by its hard top,  not steady shifters on the side and the cable is annoying as of now. So im looking for a next headset and came to the conclusion that the game one is the best.  I was looking for a replacement a year ago,  which was the cloud.  It didnt satisfy me because the sound is just lacking clear tones.  Its more comfortable but out of my perspective the audio is just not it. 

The ASTRO's do sound a lot better in my opinion, but it all comes down to preference. I own almost every ASTRO Headset and the Cloud I and II's and I definitely like the audio signature of the ASTRO's better.