Work in progress Build Help requested

Go to solution Solved by GER_T4IGA,
1 hour ago, ShaunC said:

I'd go with something along these lines
If you're planning to do upgrades, i would just suggest a slower processor and a good mobo that you can build off of.  Also, if you can find a good power supply on sale, i'd work with that.  Try to find a Motherboard, Case, and power supply that will fit you're ideal computer needs after upgrades.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G4500 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($84.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170A Tomahawk AC ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($149.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($35.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial BX200 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Superclocked Video Card  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Raidmax Vortex ATX Mid Tower Case  ($19.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($43.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $494.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-19 16:13 EST-0500

That PSU is a definite nono if you plan on putting a real graficscard in there. Apart fromt he fact that the pentium will be to weak to push anything worth calling a GPU.

I'm looking to build a rig that I can really add onto whenever I have extra cash. I'm in the US starting budget of around $500. I was looking at AMD FX series processors the 6300 with the possible upgrade path of the 8350. I was also looking at the 750 TI with an upgrade to the 960 down the road. I want to game at high settings at 1080p max setting if possible. I'd also like fast transfer speeds so Sata lll and USB 3.0 and possibly 3.1 would be preferred. Its been a long time since I built a rig any help would be appreciated.

I wouldn't go with a 960, I would go with a R9 380. I have both and the R9 easily out performs my 960. I think I even got the 380 for $10 less than my 960.

You know how it is, the cow goes "moo", the dog goes "woof" and the gamer goes "The PvP is unbalanced."

Spoiler

Personal Computer: CPU: i7-4790 Mobo: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 Graphics Card: MSI R9-380  Memory: 16GB (8GB x2) G. Skill Sniper Gaming Series PSU: Apevia Warlock 750W Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Series Storage: 240GB SSD (OS) 3TB HDD (data and such) 500 GB SSD (Movies and Large Data Transfers (I'm constantly moving this one around to other computers))

5 minutes ago, InsaneJoe said:

I'm looking to build a rig that I can really add onto whenever I have extra cash. I'm in the US starting budget of around \

You would start at the 8320e if you were going AMD, but it's not worth getting one of those chips unless maybe you were streaming or doing virtual machine work, as an i3 will be faster in games

If you're going to save up a bit more than go for an i5, otherwise this will be fine, live without a case if you need to get the price down

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/D3WRZL
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/D3WRZL/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($123.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2HP Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($68.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($31.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 380 4GB PCS+ Video Card  ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($24.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $529.72
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-19 14:17 EST-0500

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

8 minutes ago, InsaneJoe said:

I'm looking to build a rig that I can really add onto whenever I have extra cash. I'm in the US starting budget of around $500. I was looking at AMD FX series processors the 6300 with the possible upgrade path of the 8350. I was also looking at the 750 TI with an upgrade to the 960 down the road. I want to game at high settings at 1080p max setting if possible. I'd also like fast transfer speeds so Sata lll and USB 3.0 and possibly 3.1 would be preferred. Its been a long time since I built a rig any help would be appreciated.

What do you need? OS, peripherals, ... monitor ?

My default suggesstion is this:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($98.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.75 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($92.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Mushkin ECO2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($72.89 @ Newegg)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 280X 3GB TurboDuo Video Card  ($203.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($36.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $580.36
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-19 14:18 EST-0500

NOTE: You this does not include a monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset or OS. Note that neither the 6300 nor the 8350 are a good CPU. intel i5s are preferabel but probably not in your price range.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($179.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($51.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($44.34 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card  ($104.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($34.99 @ Directron) 
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($43.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $496.17
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-19 14:25 EST-0500

Better and more future proof than the FX 6300

1 minute ago, Matty2hatty said:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($51.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card  ($104.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Fractal Design Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($39.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $501.17
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-19 14:24 EST-0500

This is better and more futureproof

This will not even get close to maxing out games like he requested. The i5 is a far better choice than a 6300 but the 750 TI is so much worse than a 280x that this would not be worth it.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                

Well considering your build was over $500 by 80$, yeh? I thought he said his max budget was $500 now I saw it was his starting point in his budget, this would be better for $580:

Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 380 2GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($163.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($72.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $584.18
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-19 14:31 EST-0500

20 minutes ago, InsaneJoe said:

budget of around $500

!=

Just now, Matty2hatty said:

his max budget was $500

These are not the same iirc

3.Use

You could save a bit on the PSU and change the 120gb ssd to a 1tb HDD if you care more about quantity than speed

I have most of the peripherals. It doesn't have to max out at the start but something I could add onto continuously to get it to high settings on 1080

Read my post again, I stated that I had realised his budget was around $500 and built a system nearly equal to the price of yours.

1 minute ago, InsaneJoe said:

I have most of the peripherals. It doesn't have to max out at the start but something I could add onto continuously to get it to high settings on 1080

If you consider going step by step I would get seomthing completely different than I recommended. Wait I sec I'll be back.

3.Use

You can do something like this and play a while with the integrated GPU while you safe up for a good GPU aswell.
As always I might not have hit it perfectly but it is one option:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H170A-X1 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital AV-GP 1.5TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($61.00 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($36.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($58.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $450.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-19 14:49 EST-0500

3.Use

20 minutes ago, Matty2hatty said:

Well considering your build was over $500 by 80$, yeh? I thought he said his max budget was $500 now I saw it was his starting point in his budget, this would be better for $580:

Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 380 2GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($163.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($72.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $584.18
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-19 14:31 EST-0500

The 380 is inferior to a 280x and you only have 120GB of space which about 20-30GB are eaten up by Windows and everyday programs. That leaves 100-90GB for games which might not even suffice for 4 recent titles irrespective of any data you might want to store. If performance is your main focus at this budget you can't go for an SSD unless can REALLY limit your storage consuption. So all of this comes down to you personally however some things generally apply to all builds.

3.Use

24 minutes ago, Matty2hatty said:

Read my post again, I stated that I had realised his budget was around $500 and built a system nearly equal to the price of yours.

Sry mb bro.

3.Use

I'm starting at around 500 but I would like a system I can add too I'm not dead set on AMD either just an idea. Really I need a mobo starting point

If you want to add to it very soon in the future take away the GPU and spend the rest on a better cpu and motherboard and cpu cooler and then stick in a GPU when you can, it won't be very good until you do but if you can wait for a month or 2 it could be the better option

6 minutes ago, Matty2hatty said:

If you want to add to it very soon in the future take away the GPU and spend the rest on a better cpu and motherboard and cpu cooler and then stick in a GPU when you can, it won't be very good until you do but if you can wait for a month or 2 it could be the better option

I suggets not going for a CPU cooler insce he won't OC with intel at this budget therefore the budget for a mobo is also pretty much set and pointless to increase above a certain margin.

3.Use

Honestly, just get an i3-6100. It simply is the best CPU for gaming right now when it comes to price to performance ratio, it isn't even close. The socket 1151 motherboard would also offer you a clear upgrade path down the road should you wish to upgrade. Finally, I'd recommend, contrary to popular opinion around here, to get a GTX 960 instead of a R9 380, since the AMD cards seem to struggle with driver overhead pn some DX 11 games causing frame drops even though their overall performance is slightly higher.

1 hour ago, InsaneJoe said:

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($123.88 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($30.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB FTW ACX 2.0+ Video Card  ($200.80 @ Newegg) 
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($24.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($19.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $502.43
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-19 15:20 EST-0500

If you're planning to do upgrades, i would just suggest a slower processor and a good mobo that you can build off of.  Also, if you can find a good power supply on sale, i'd work with that.  Try to find a Motherboard, Case, and power supply that will fit you're ideal computer needs after upgrades.

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Superclocked Video Card  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 

CPU: AMD FX-6100 3.3GHz 6-Core OEM/Tray Processor + Antec Kuhler H2O 620 Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX ATX AM3+ Motherboard Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive + Western Digital Caviar Green 500GB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive & Seagate Barracuda 750GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card Case: Rosewill THOR V2 ATX Full Tower Case + Thermaltake TR2 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter Monitor: Asus VK278Q 27.0" Monitor

Peripherals: Razer DeathStalker Wired Gaming Keyboard + Razer Abyssus Wired Optical Mouse Headphones: Bose SIE2i Orange Earbud Headphones + Mic: Kaxidy Stereo MIC

1 hour ago, ShaunC said:

That PSU is a definite nono if you plan on putting a real graficscard in there. Apart fromt he fact that the pentium will be to weak to push anything worth calling a GPU.

3.Use

6 hours ago, GER_T4IGA said:

I agree, I'd change the PSU to something at least a little better (a evga 650watt would be a bit better), then when saving for upgrades, upgrade the processor first.  I think the 750 ti will probably be OK for a little while if you're good with lower/medium graphics 1080p or 720p gaming.

EDIT:
Here's a video LTT did a while back of the differences between a bunch of different processors and their fps in games

CPU: AMD FX-6100 3.3GHz 6-Core OEM/Tray Processor + Antec Kuhler H2O 620 Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX ATX AM3+ Motherboard Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive + Western Digital Caviar Green 500GB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive & Seagate Barracuda 750GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card Case: Rosewill THOR V2 ATX Full Tower Case + Thermaltake TR2 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter Monitor: Asus VK278Q 27.0" Monitor

Peripherals: Razer DeathStalker Wired Gaming Keyboard + Razer Abyssus Wired Optical Mouse Headphones: Bose SIE2i Orange Earbud Headphones + Mic: Kaxidy Stereo MIC

Thank you the Tomahawk MoBo is exactly what I was looking for I can start with a lower end processor and video card and build up from there