New mobo/CPU with old ssd/windows 10

Palvand
Go to solution Solved by tahmidkhan123,
2 minutes ago, Palvand said:

Oof. That's rough lol. So if I plug in the ssd to the new hardware, will it even boot up to tell me that my key is invalid? I had issues with a (slightly not paid for) version of XP in highschool that told me it was invalid but let me use it, just couldn't get updates.

If I can at least get it hooked up and pull stuff off of it before getting a new version of Windows, that'd be great.

Unfortunately I don't have large quantities of money to hand over to Microsoft for a new copy at the moment, so this new build might collect dust for a few weeks lol.

im not sure about it, I've used an un licensed copy of windows 8 while my product key was being weird and i had to go through customer support. It was usable, but not super sure if its the same with windows 10. Plugging that ssd into another computer will have tons of issues with mobo drivers and in general cause difficulties. If you have another computer, you can plug the ssd in an pull files from it just as if its usb flash drive.

But  yea it is quite rough, i don't have that kinda money either and had to abandon plans of a severely needed mobo upgrade 

but talk to microsoft about it, customer service, some may tell you no but if you get a nice guy, they probably will let you use the original license. Explain ur problem as strictly hardware related, i.e. fried hardware and im sure they'd understand. They helped me out when I had similar problems with my bootcamp installation (had to exchange laptop but wanted to use the same license) 

First post here, hope it isn't out of place.

My motherboard and/or CPU fried when I plugged in a sound bar to the fiber optic port on my old board, so I ordered new parts to replace them.

I have Windows 10 installed on my ssd, which I want to use as my boot device in the new system. The problem is that I have no other PC to throw an installer for Windows 10 onto a flash drive or make a backup of my ssd, and I only have a Windows 7 install CD, since I installed 10 using the updater.

Everything I've read online tells me Windows will hate my new hardware (which is now AMD, old was Intel). Is there any way to configure Windows to my new hardware without a complete reinstall/losing my data? Or am I better off just wiping it and installing 7 and hoping I didn't have anything important on it? lol

Appreciate any help, hopefully I'm not missing some extremely obvious answer to my problem. 

It should be fine just to plug it in and continue, you may need some chipset and other drivers for your new stuff but it should boot and be ok.

can you borrow a friend's computer to make a windows 10 install usb, or go to a local computer store, they may have them for sale. Also depending on what kind of windows intallation you have, you may not be able to switch hardware, oem versions are tied to the motherboard. 

6 minutes ago, Palvand said:

First post here, hope it isn't out of place.

Best off reinstalling windows whenever you change hardware.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Just now, tahmidkhan123 said:

can you borrow a friend's computer to make a windows 10 install usb, or go to a local computer store, they may have them for sale. Also depending on what kind of windows intallation you have, you may not be able to switch hardware, oem versions are tied to the motherboard. 

My windows 7 install was from the local computer place, so I assume it's OEM (they put it on when a bad Ubuntu install on a separate HD messed up my windows install). Does that carry over to Windows 10 when using the updater?

1 minute ago, Palvand said:

My windows 7 install was from the local computer place, so I assume it's OEM (they put it on when a bad Ubuntu install on a separate HD messed up my windows install). Does that carry over to Windows 10 when using the updater?

yes it carries over, that means any major hardware changes such as motherboards is not permitted cos microsoft considers that essentially a new computer so you have to buy a new licence for it. I had this same problem when  i wanted to upgrade my motherboard, ended up sticking with my old one cos i could add the cost of a new windows 10 licence into my budget. 

yes it carries over, that means any major hardware changes such as motherboards is not permitted cos microsoft considers that essentially a new computer so you have to buy a new licence for it. I had this same problem when  i wanted to upgrade my motherboard, ended up sticking with my old one cos i could add the cost of a new windows 10 licence into my budget. 

that being said, I know that microsoft customer support can allow you to use oem version of windows with hardware changes (they manually do some stuff) is you had hardware problems and needed to, for example rma your motherboard. so that may work...

I see, thank you. Does the OEM license get thrown on their servers or anything then? If I install windows 7 OEM again, my key is tied to my old mobo?

3 minutes ago, Palvand said:

I see, thank you. Does the OEM license get thrown on their servers or anything then? If I install windows 7 OEM again, my key is tied to my old mobo?

the key is still tied to the original hardware... i think that's how it works. The key has one use and only works on the first computer it is used one. Windows 10 and 7 used the same key because of the upgrade process so the windows 7 oem key is still tied to the old mobo

the key is still tied to the original hardware... i think that's how it works. The key has one use and only works on the first computer it is used one. Windows 10 and 7 used the same key because of the upgrade process so the windows 7 oem key is still tied to the old mobo

Oof. That's rough lol. So if I plug in the ssd to the new hardware, will it even boot up to tell me that my key is invalid? I had issues with a (slightly not paid for) version of XP in highschool that told me it was invalid but let me use it, just couldn't get updates.

If I can at least get it hooked up and pull stuff off of it before getting a new version of Windows, that'd be great.

Unfortunately I don't have large quantities of money to hand over to Microsoft for a new copy at the moment, so this new build might collect dust for a few weeks lol.

2 minutes ago, Palvand said:

im not sure about it, I've used an un licensed copy of windows 8 while my product key was being weird and i had to go through customer support. It was usable, but not super sure if its the same with windows 10. Plugging that ssd into another computer will have tons of issues with mobo drivers and in general cause difficulties. If you have another computer, you can plug the ssd in an pull files from it just as if its usb flash drive.

But  yea it is quite rough, i don't have that kinda money either and had to abandon plans of a severely needed mobo upgrade 

but talk to microsoft about it, customer service, some may tell you no but if you get a nice guy, they probably will let you use the original license. Explain ur problem as strictly hardware related, i.e. fried hardware and im sure they'd understand. They helped me out when I had similar problems with my bootcamp installation (had to exchange laptop but wanted to use the same license) 

2 minutes ago, tahmidkhan123 said:

I'll give them a call when I get the hardware. Thank you for the help!