Wich gaming speakers to get

SXTC
Go to solution Solved by redii2klutch,

I’m sorry to pick but the “wich” vs “which” bothers me a touch, though makes your thread stand out.
Anyhow I am looking for the same thing. Currently I use the built in monitor speakers when my kids are asleep unless I am gaming then I use my m50s. I have been looking for a little while now and was highly debating a pair of studio monitors but don’t think that would be the proper decision for my general use. I know I watched some YouTube videos where people had speakers strobing and swirling all sorts of colors which I suppose is a thing of its own. Then you have those that swear by their Bose sets. I personally don’t have much for actual stores around here and have to base all my purchases highly off reviews. I normally don’t mind looks so much however for some reason I find the z506 a bit tacky. I am also not 100% interested in surround personally. Think we can get a few more options listed here. I will also try to remember to come back and place my findings once I’ve arrived on a solution. Sorry that was likely more long winded than need be but eh… Hi all

Edit: Think I'll look into some bluetooth / portable options. That way I could take speaker(s) to the other room to listen to music, without bothering everyone else.

I've bene using Gigaworks S750 speakers for a couple of years now... but the subwoofer died on me and I don't like to have to use my blowdrier just to get it activated again (don't ask... the subwoofer of that model is flawed, you can read about it online, lots of people experience it). Since its out of warranty I don't feel like paying an ubershitload of money to get it fixed...

Because in this model, if the subwoofer doesn't switch on.. the sound doesn't work AT ALL...

So I'm thinking to moving onto diffirent speakers...

As you might guess I'm used to very good sound quality so I don't feel like stepping down from 7.1 to 2.1 channels like I was suggested... tried it and kinda hate it in 3D games... more channels give me the advantage in FPS.

When I look online I don't realy find much gaming surround speakers, wich is why I'm asking here.

Can you people give me a top 3 of best gaming speakers that use 5.1 or 7.1 THX rated speakers?

6 minutes ago, SXTC said:

I've bene using Gigaworks S750 speakers for a couple of years now... but the subwoofer died on me and I don't like to have to use my blowdrier just to get it activated again (don't ask... the subwoofer of that model is flawed, you can read about it online, lots of people experience it). Since its out of warranty I don't feel like paying an ubershitload of money to get it fixed...

So I'm thinking to moving onto diffirent speakers...

As you might guess I'm used to very good sound quality so I don't feel like stepping down from 7.1 to 2.1 channels like I was suggested... tried it and kinda hate it in 3D games... more channels give me the advantage in FPS.

When I look online I don't realy find much gaming surround speakers, wich is why I'm asking here.

Can you people give me a top 3 of best gaming speakers that use 5.1 or 7.1 THX rated speakers?

Logitech z506 is good.

My Build: Phoenix

Processor: Intel i7 4770k, Motherboard: Asus Z97-P RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB GPU: MSI GTX 1050TI OC Case: Corsair ICUE 4000X, Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB + 500GB + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM750, Cooling: Corsair H100i Capellix, 

If you want to talk to me or give me an answer, please tag me otherwise you'll be talking to thin air ❤️

My wife has those, but are they the best out there? Would be suprised to hear that my very expensive speakerset is the only step up from my wife's Z506 system...

Is there another one, better then Z506 that allows for the bass to manualy be lowered or shut off while the speakers keep working? The Z506 allows for you to do that but I'm wondering if there are more 5.1 & 7.1 systems that will allow it.

Lol. Gaming audio.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

5 minutes ago, FruitBasketSilex said:

Lol. Gaming audio.

I understand how funny that might sound because there's no such thing as "gaming" audio.. I basicly mean that I need a good surround system with clear sound that supports 5.1 or 7.1 and won't brake the bank like the S750 did years ago, can't believe I actualy payed for that rustbucket :'(

Don't want that to happen to me again..

I’m sorry to pick but the “wich” vs “which” bothers me a touch, though makes your thread stand out.
Anyhow I am looking for the same thing. Currently I use the built in monitor speakers when my kids are asleep unless I am gaming then I use my m50s. I have been looking for a little while now and was highly debating a pair of studio monitors but don’t think that would be the proper decision for my general use. I know I watched some YouTube videos where people had speakers strobing and swirling all sorts of colors which I suppose is a thing of its own. Then you have those that swear by their Bose sets. I personally don’t have much for actual stores around here and have to base all my purchases highly off reviews. I normally don’t mind looks so much however for some reason I find the z506 a bit tacky. I am also not 100% interested in surround personally. Think we can get a few more options listed here. I will also try to remember to come back and place my findings once I’ve arrived on a solution. Sorry that was likely more long winded than need be but eh… Hi all

Edit: Think I'll look into some bluetooth / portable options. That way I could take speaker(s) to the other room to listen to music, without bothering everyone else.

I'm not into bluetooth as I'm highly sensitive to all kind of wireless signals (gives me migraine in a matter of seconds when turned on, especialy WIFI).

Anyhow you do make a point when it comes to "children".. I can't recollect I ever put my system over 50% use... and usualy only 15-30% due to the children so I guess I had an expensive system wich I never realy fully used... even these current speakers seem to get better clarity if I turn them louder... but I can't cuss of the baby. So I guess I'll be going for the Z506 anyway. Thanks again for the help!

Corsair Sp2500. It has 2 speakers with tweeters for surround sound and a subwoofer for only $220. Most setups cost several hundred dollars at least so it is definitely a good price. As for the quality? Linus uses them:

(You can clearly see the speakers match, and have the Corsair branding, and the subwoofer under his desk)

And Linus blows $300 on a thunderbolt cable and a bunch of other over the top gear. So not only is it a good buy, it is some damn good quality.

If you want a dac to go with it get a Modi 2.

34 minutes ago, Wolf_Lbh said:

Corsair Sp2500. It has 2 speakers with tweeters for surround sound and a subwoofer for only $220. Most setups cost several hundred dollars at least so it is definitely a good.

It doesn't really matter if Linus uses them. The simple fact is that the Logitech z623 is as good if not better and costs $100 less.

And the SP2500 does not have "tweeters for surround sound". It's a typical 2.1 stereo system.

1 minute ago, SSL said:

It doesn't really matter if Linus uses them. The simple fact is that the Logitech z623 is as good if not better and costs $100 less.

And the SP2500 does not have "tweeters for surround sound". It's a typical 2.1 stereo system.

If you bother to read my post I explain why it matters that Linus uses them. I'll repeat myself because you decided to ignore the relevant part of my post to suit your own belief. Linus has access to any speakers he would care to use. Almost any company would be happy to send him any model he wants for the publicity. The fact Linus could be using multi hundred if not thousand dollar speakers (he sure didn't pay for that 30 grand 7 gamers 2 cpu setup himself) and chooses to use the Corsair sp2500 means... he thinks they are awesome. I was using his opinion having access to far more expensive setups to backup my own belief that they rock despite not having access to multi-thousand dollar audio setups.

I was also saying the speakers are the surround sound and they have tweeters. Also you only need 2 speakers to setup surround sound. How many ears do you have?

27 minutes ago, Wolf_Lbh said:

If you bother to read my post I explain why it matters that Linus uses them. I'll repeat myself because you decided to ignore the relevant part of my post to suit your own belief. Linus has access to any speakers he would care to use. Almost any company would be happy to send him any model he wants for the publicity. The fact Linus could be using multi hundred if not thousand dollar speakers (he sure didn't pay for that 30 grand 7 gamers 2 cpu setup himself) and chooses to use the Corsair sp2500 means... he thinks they are awesome. I was using his opinion having access to far more expensive setups to backup my own belief that they rock despite not having access to multi-thousand dollar audio setups.

I was also saying the speakers are the surround sound and they have tweeters. Also you only need 2 speakers to setup surround sound. How many ears do you have?

You are operating under some bizarre notions.

Empirically, the Logitech z623 is functionally identical to the Corsair SP2500. I believe them to be better, but lets assume that's subjective. Objectively, the SP2500 is nearly 150% of the cost of the z623; therefore the conclusion is that the SP2500 is a bad value.

You're assuming that Linus knows or cares what good speakers sound like; and that he has apparently tried every possible speaker. That is a lot of faulty assumption on which to base an argument.

Now let's talk about how surround sound works. REAL surround sound, not digitally simulated virtual surround done with shit-tastic DSP. Which, by the way, is the only way to get surround sound with two transducers.

"Two ears, two speakers". I know a hackneyed and erroneous Linus aphorism when I see one. While kind of but not really true for headphones, it is not applicable in any way to actual loudspeakers. Real surround requires that the real speakers really surround the listener; this is common knowledge and not up to debate or redefinition based on your misinterpretation of something Linus said.

Yes, the SP2500 obviously has tweeters; no, they are not there for surround sound. The SP2500 is a 2-channel speaker set with sub; it doesn't have any physical capabilities that make it more or less suited for surround. I'm not sure how many more ways to explain it.

8 minutes ago, SSL said:

You are operating under some bizarre notions.

Empirically, the Logitech z623 is functionally identical to the Corsair SP2500. I believe them to be better, but lets assume that's subjective. Objectively, the SP2500 is nearly 150% of the cost of the z623; therefore the conclusion is that the SP2500 is a bad value.

You're assuming that Linus knows or cares what good speakers sound like; and that he has apparently tried every possible speaker. That is a lot of faulty assumption on which to base an argument.

Now let's talk about how surround sound works. REAL surround sound, not digitally simulated virtual surround done with shit-tastic DSP. Which, by the way, is the only way to get surround sound with two transducers.

"Two ears, two speakers". I know a hackneyed and erroneous Linus aphorism when I see one. While kind of but not really true for headphones, it is not applicable in any way to actual loudspeakers. Real surround requires that the real speakers really surround the listener; this is common knowledge and not up to debate or redefinition based on your misinterpretation of something Linus said.

Yes, the SP2500 obviously has tweeters; no, they are not there for surround sound. The SP2500 is a 2-channel speaker set with sub; it doesn't have any physical capabilities that make it more or less suited for surround. I'm not sure how many more ways to explain it.

How is "This guy has tried a ton of products, many of them incredibly expensive and prefers this setup" a bizarre way to provide an additional opinion justifying the value of something? Actually, never mind, I don't care. Clearly you only bring that up to take focus away from the actual topic.

I have not researched the Logitech speakers, nor do I plan to invest time in doing so being completely happy with my current setup but I strongly suggest op do the same if he is listening to anything you are saying because I seriously doubt they have the same specs and tolerance ratings.

Linus has said a few times he is an audiophile and shown us some very expensive headphones he owns and his enthusiasm to demo stupidly expensive headphones.

Want to know how surround sound really works?

It isn't magic that requires 8 speakers setup at specific points of a pentagram drawn in the blood of virgins sacrificed on the solstice. It just takes 2 speakers, and not even 2 decent speakers.

You can provide whatever nonsense holier than thou statistics made by people with their heads up their butts for the sake of being audio snobs but my real life demo shows how sound works in the real world. You have 2 ears, directed in specific directions. With a speaker aimed at each... you get surround sound.

Once again... I never said the tweeters were for surround sound (or never meant to). I just worded that part poorly and you got confused. I was simply saying the setup has two speakers that cover mids and highs and can be positioned for surround sound and a subwoofer for lows.

3 hours ago, Wolf_Lbh said:

snippsters

= Unrelated Binaural Audio Video =

le snip

That's not surround. That's binaural. 9_9

Again: if you want surround with speakers, you need a multi-channel setup. Two-channel will only get you simulated/"virtual" surround. Regardless of how much you like the results, this is NOT "surround". It's a confusing misuse of a commonly accepted term.

My issue with the whole "Linus uses it" fallacy is that you are not bringing your own knowledge and experience to the table. Especially not knowledge. Yeah, I'm sure Linus has tried some expensive things. That doesn't mean that he's done a head-to-head comparison of the two speaker sets in question. Linus can be wrong, and has been in the past; it's not like he has any particular knowledge about audio, by his own admission.

As far as specs; these are routinely useless when it comes to audio. But just for the sake of dick measurement, let's do a comparison. shall we?

Logitech z623: 35Hz - 20kHz. 200W (130W sub). THX Certified.

Corsair SP2500: 35Hz - 20kHz +/-3dB. 232W (120W sub).

Based on the specs - which you brought up, not me - the Logitech is THX Certified and therefore wins. Discussion over.

Heh, this thread totally derped out.

SSL is (as pretty much always when it comes to anything audio) right.

There's also, like he already said, no debate about "surround Sound" with two speakers. 

Headphones are a completely different thing, they are little related to speakers.

Virtual Surround as used in some "gaming" headphones is BS. You are right with that. 

But have you never experienced a mutlichannel surround setup and seen how superior and different that is? Never been to cinema? Lol

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

18 hours ago, SSL said:

That's not surround sound. That's just sound that sounds like it is surrounding you.

14 hours ago, FloRolf said:

Heh, this thread totally derped out.

SSL is (as pretty much always when it comes to anything audio) right.

...speaking of the audio master race, here they are!

49 minutes ago, Wolf_Lbh said:

...speaking of the audio master race, here they are!

Hey, we get it. You don't know what you're talking about, and can't stand people that do. Just don't clutter threads with nonsense and it won't be an issue.

1 minute ago, SSL said:

Hey, we get it. You don't want to admit that you don't know what you're talking about, and can't stand people that do. Just don't clutter threads with nonsense and it won't be an issue.

Btw you should pick some of these up to help resonate the frequencies of your surround sound that surrounds you differently than the sound willing to surround non-audiophile gods:
http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina31.htm

3 minutes ago, Wolf_Lbh said:

Btw you should pick some of these up to help resonate the frequencies of your surround sound that surrounds you differently than the sound willing to surround non-audiophile gods:

He is not one of those crazy "audiophiles" that thinks stuff like that work. He knows his things.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

3 minutes ago, Wolf_Lbh said:

Yes, because magic rocks are on the same level as surround sound requiring more than two speakers. To be sure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surround_sound

I think most "audiophiles" use 2.0 or 2.1 (atleast them I know), so yeah no surround sound.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

I find it funny that people are arguing about gaming audio (aka shit bundled together stuff that is marketed to seem good) when there's better stuff out there. I mean, I can just at will either:

1: Get a amp, two bookshelf's, and a powered sub, and connect it together.

2: Get a small receiver, 2 bokshelf's, two rear's, and a sub, and connect it together.

3: Do either 1 or 2 and make my own sub, making the cost go down

4: Do 3, and make the rest of the speakers, and even possibly the amp/receiver (I'd just have to figure it out), making the cost go down even further.

etc., and get better sound.

Okay I was not expecting to reply to this post before actually acquiring new audio gear. I feel inclined to as I had a notification leading me back here when I went to start a different post. I think Godin_Intaki makes a very good point which I will touch on in a moment. First off though I would like to add in "swan m50w" as an alternative to "Corsair SP2500". Through all my research the Swan suit is highly revered and loved by it's owners, including many audiophiles people who've had the opportunity to use and review hundreds of cans, monitors etc. Once more I find this exceeding the price range of the original poster. For what it's worth they have moved near top of my possible purchase list though and I advise giving them a look.
Back to Godin_Intaki post, I have used several surround setups headsets and home-theater based alike. I find myself usually reverting back to 2.1 however.
Here from my searching I'd "currently" go with an amp by Lepai most-likely if I wanted to stay on the cheaper side and a pair of speakers through Monoprice or Wharfedale being a bit more. This option will quickly coast from sub $100 to $250ish and up depending. No offense to anyone this is just the route my personally journey has lead me and to be honest I skimmed the last quarter of the post. I'm off to continue my research and post a question of my own. Good luck, happy hunting and I hope your decision brings you happiness!

EDIT: I have seen so many more things lulz
first off I don't know how this forum is about outside links and I apologize if I am doing wrong by the community, just trying to help.
Here >>>> https://www.reddit.com/r/zeos <<<<There (This dude seems to know his $#!+)
Accompanying YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ZeosReviews
He covers 5.1 and desktop sets alike.

Also I have a ways to go till I find my "setup" it's breakfast time so I'll have to return though currently I'm looking towards

Micca MB42X @ $80ish W/ Dayton SUB-1200 @ $150
You may prefer Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 @ $150 (haven't looked into it too much and is 2.1 not SS though worth mention I believe)
End edit
Edit 2:
Could be another option.

http://www.amazon.com/Fluance-Surround-Theater-Speaker-AVHTB/dp/B00064JWSG/ref=pd_sim_23_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=41LG4RH6-PL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1TBX1FKNA78MPFJ68BYB

My Current build in progress:

Fluance SX6-BK High Definition Two-way Bookshelf Loudspeakers-Black

Dayton Audio SUB-1200 12-Inch 120 Watt Powered Subwoofer (Black)

SMSL SA50 50Wx2 TDA7492 Class D Amplifier + Power Adapter (Silver)

Cable Matters 16 AWG In-Wall Rated (CL2) Oxygen-Free Bare Copper Speaker Cable 50 Feet

Monoprice 109436 Copper Speaker Banana Plugs Closed Screw Type (5-Pair)

AmazonBasics Digital Optical Audio Toslink Cable - 6 Feet (1.8 Meters)

SMSL SD793-II PCM1793 DIR9001 DAC Digital Audio Decoder Amplifier, Black

Possible Sub alternatives

Fluance DB-150 10 Inch 150 Watt Low Frequency Powered Subwoofer

Also maybe finding a used receiver via Ebay though I'm not too comfortable picking one out.

Not sure if you can do with just the SMSL SD793-II PCM1793 DIR9001 & not include SMSL SA50 still researching those.