Water Cooling or SLI??

I'm working on my new 6700k build right now and cannot decide between getting another GTX 980ti and run them in SLI for 1440p gaming greatness OR.... keeping my 1 card setup and just run a full custom loop through it. Listed below are things to keep in mind when giving your opinion:

1. 1440p Gaming (I want a constant 60-144hz with no major dips)

2. Games like Guild Wars 2, Total War, Men of War, Star Citizen, Elite Dangerous and some single player games like Fallout 4 and Witcher 3

3. Quiet and as powerful as possible are my goals!

4. I currently have a single 27" 1080p monitor however I'm looking into upgrading to either 34" 1440p or 27" 1440p

Thanks for everyone's help

PCPer Links:

6700K SLI Build

6700K Custom Loop

18 hours ago, GSTARR said:

Personally I would deal with the sound and go sli

Why SLI over water cooling? Just for the performance factor?

20 hours ago, Colomon84 said:

I'm working on my new 6700k build right now and cannot decide between getting another GTX 980ti and run them in SLI for 1440p gaming greatness OR.... keeping my 1 card setup and just run a full custom loop through it. Listed below are things to keep in mind when giving your opinion:

PCPer Links:

6700K SLI Build

6700K Custom Loop

The Phanteks EVOLV ITX case would be much better for a custom loop build.

You might consider a 2x16GB memory kit in the SLI build. It will leave two memory slots free for an upgrade. Good choices are G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory or G.Skill TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2800 Memory. The later would also look pretty good in the mini-ITX build.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

I would get an NZXT Grid+, connect all your fans to it, except the X61 fans, and put in some noise dampening foam maybe? I have the same setup with an X61 and NZXT Grid+ in an H440 and it's pretty quiet. One thing, if you're spending that much a computer and care about silence, I would get better headphones.

GTX 980 Ti / 5820k / 16 GB DDR4 / 500 GB SSD / ATH-M50X

8 hours ago, Archarin said:

I would get an NZXT Grid+, connect all your fans to it, except the X61 fans, and put in some noise dampening foam maybe? I have the same setup with an X61 and NZXT Grid+ in an H440 and it's pretty quiet. One thing, if you're spending that much a computer and care about silence, I would get better headphones.

I like your point, I'm looking into two SLI builds right now and can't decide between the two. One is 6700K and the other is a 5820K. Please help me decide between the two. Literally only $30 difference in price!

1 hour ago, Colomon84 said:

I like your point, I'm looking into two SLI builds right now and can't decide between the two. One is 6700K and the other is a 5820K. Please help me decide between the two. Literally only $30 difference in price!

Check out Asus motherboard fan control features. Very sophisticated. Generally more than adequate to control all the case fans.

5820K offers better performance in highly multi-threaded work. 6700K offers much better performance in lightly threaded environments - the vast majority of gaming titles. (Both overclock reasonably well. Not a lot of statistics yet on the 6700K, but what there is suggests these cpu will oc proportionally as well as 5820K.)

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

On 2/16/2016 at 1:12 PM, Colomon84 said:

I'm working on my new 6700k build right now and cannot decide between getting another GTX 980ti and run them in SLI fr

You should get a 4k display rather than a 1440p 144hz display, it'll be better for daily desktop use, however if you're stuck on that display type, then you'd save about $150 going free-sync rather than G-sync

$550 Free-sync

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/acer-monitor-xf270hu

$700 G-sync
https://pcpartpicker.com/part/acer-monitor-xb270hubprz

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Go with your SLI build. I would suggest getting a Samsung 950 Pro ssd instead, much better performance.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE