I7-4790k 4.0ghz Start up temp high?

Go to solution Solved by Lays,

BIOS usually makes the CPU run quite warm, in windows your idle will probably be 25-40, rather than 45-53 in BIOS.

Hello!

I just completed my first build and my CPU seems to be running a little hot. I'm running an I7-4790 4.0ghz (stock not ocing yet) with a coolermaster hyper 212 evo cpu cooler. On startup from a cold boot (sitting for multiple hours off) the bios is showing the temp as anywhere from 45-53C. I've cleaned off the CPU and reapplied thermal paste, but the startup temps didn't change.

At first I thought it was a terrible application of thermal paste, but when the PC is under a load like playing Tomb Raider on ultra or running Sandra lite benchmarking test the temp of the CPU doesn't go over 60C. 

Is this something to worry about? If so what should I do to troubleshoot or fix the issue? (Also let me know if you need more information.)

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, SexyAmerican said:

Hello!

I just completed my first build and my CPU seems to be running a little hot. I'm running an I7-4790 4.0ghz (stock not ocing yet) with a coolermaster hyper 212 evo cpu cooler. On startup from a cold boot (sitting for multiple hours off) the bios is showing the temp as anywhere from 45-53C. I've cleaned off the CPU and reapplied thermal paste, but the startup temps didn't change.

At first I thought it was a terrible application of thermal paste, but when the PC is under a load like playing Tomb Raider on ultra or running Sandra lite benchmarking test the temp of the CPU doesn't go over 60C. 

Is this something to worry about? If so what should I do to troubleshoot or fix the issue? (Also let me know if you need more information.)

Thanks!

What voltage is the cpu running?

BIOS usually makes the CPU run quite warm, in windows your idle will probably be 25-40, rather than 45-53 in BIOS.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

1 minute ago, Lays said:

Can confirm, my CPU runs at about 55C in the BIOS, but 32C at idle.

Normal

BIOS is not idle and c-states aren't enabled (at least not all).

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Thank you everyone for the quick response! 

Nice to have my mind put at ease