Is it possbile to build your own wifi router out of desktop parts?

Hi so i was looking around for a new router to get and i saw a post and youtube video on you can build your own wifi router using desktop componets. i wonder now is it possible to do that using like a lan box style case for the router housing and a wireless card as the output antenna and a wired networking card as the ethernet ports. is this possible or do i have to go out and buy a router from like asus or something 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

Pfsense!

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

Well first and foremost your simplest solution would likely be to just go buy a router, they arent terribly expensive and usually work right out of the box. Most wi-fi cards are not designed to handle multiple connections or accept them, so you would likely need a wifi hotspot connected to the box to add the wireless capability. You can use virtual switching to accomplish a virtual arp table, etc. But the practicality of it isnt near as ideal as a premade router.

Here is a whitepaper on using windows as a router: https://redmondmag.com/articles/2015/04/23/windows-server-as-a-network-router.aspx

Did everyone see that? Because I will not be doing it again.

Yes, just use a wifi card on pfSense's approved interface list: https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Supported_Wireless_Cards

Ultimate XP gaming system build log coming soon!  Q8200 // 8GB DDR2 // Asus P5E Deluxe X48 // Asus 4870 DARK KNIGHT X-Fire // Supreme FX sound // BFG Ageia PhysX PCI Co-Processor // AX 860x with Silverstone extensions 

Yes, you can.

But, if you go the DIY route, using a wireless access point is a far better option.

Its totally possible however the easiest way is to just get an old desktop some thing around the core2 duo generation which can usually be purchased for 20 bucks at a second hand shop. then just stick a 4 port gigabit nic off eBay for around 20-30$. then download Pf sense and stick it on an old hdd even a 50 gigabyte one will do. then you will use your old aces point just as the router. once install pf sense you know have a awesome router for like 50$

Whats the fun in that plus if you build one you can install antivirus on it and use it as a nas.

2 hours ago, ThomasStolberg said:

Its totally possible however the easiest way is to just get an old desktop some thing around the core2 duo generation which can usually be purchased for 20 bucks at a second hand shop. then just stick a 4 port gigabit nic off eBay for around 20-30$. then download Pf sense and stick it on an old hdd even a 50 gigabyte one will do. then you will use your old aces point just as the router. once install pf sense you know have a awesome router for like 50$

i have a matx board with a core 2 duo @2.33ghz and also a 120gb ide seagate HDD and also 2gb of ram in my spare parts bin at home 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

if you want to build a router and not have to use pc parts gets some from http://routerboard.com/ > 

> RouterBOARD

> Enclosures

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler