2x molex to 6+2 pin?

I recently built my first PC. I started out with a build that didn't have a graphics card. For the first month I ran off of the integrated graphics on my Pentium G3258. A couple of weeks later I found a deal where I could get a secondhand MSI GTX 760 Twin Frozer for 100 euros, which is quite a steal for where I live. But when I searched the parts for my PC I didn't take into consideration all the specifications my graphics card might need and I bought a Corsair CX430M. The wattage of the power supply is sufficient, but the connectors aren't: the GPU needs an 8pin and a 6pin, but my PSU only has one 8pin for PCIe power. I looked online and found a 2x Molex to a 6+2 pin adapter, so I bought it. I've used it for a month now and haven't ran into any issues yet. BTW: my CPU is overclocked from 3.2Ghz to 4.4Ghz with a core voltage of 1.323V (which is set to auto, I couldn't get a stable overclock with manual voltage to 1.2V)

1. Is this adapter safe to use?

2. If so, would I be able to do some overclocking on it? MSI Afterburner tells me the power usage is 60% under gaming load (give or take), but GPU utilization is 99%

Thanks in advance!

2 minutes ago, qjanssen said:

I recently built my first PC. I started out with a build that didn't have a graphics card. For the first month I ran off of the integrated graphics on my Pentium G3258. A couple of weeks later I found a deal where I could get a secondhand MSI GTX 760 Twin Frozer for 100 euros, which is quite a steal for where I live. But when I searched the parts for my PC I didn't take into consideration all the specifications my graphics card might need and I bought a Corsair CX430M. The wattage of the power supply is sufficient, but the connectors aren't: the GPU needs an 8pin and a 6pin, but my PSU only has one 8pin for PCIe power. I looked online and found a 2x Molex to a 6+2 pin adapter, so I bought it. I've used it for a month now and haven't ran into any issues yet. BTW: my CPU is overclocked from 3.2Ghz to 4.4Ghz with a core voltage of 1.323V (which is set to auto, I couldn't get a stable overclock with manual voltage to 1.2V)

1. Is this adapter safe to use?

2. If so, would I be able to do some overclocking on it? MSI Afterburner tells me the power usage is 60% under gaming load (give or take), but GPU utilization is 99%

Thanks in advance!

can you link the adapter?

as a rule, that is a bad idea and the PSU isn't made to deal with that... on a personal note, it is much safer than what I did (Cut an old 24 pin to fit a 760 and used a blow torch and pipe solder to solder it.) If my stupid solution works, your can too. (That pc runs an i7 2600 and a GTX 760)

¢υѕтσм ℓσσρ σя ησтнιηg αт αℓℓ

2 minutes ago, Codyman125 said:

as a rule, that is a bad idea and the PSU isn't made to deal with that... on a personal note, it is much safer than what I did (Cut an old 24 pin to fit a 760 and used a blow torch and pipe solder to solder it.) If my stupid solution works, your can too. (That pc runs an i7 2600 and a GTX 760)

Oh okay. Did you use it for long? And did you do any overclocking on it?

Just now, DerakDerantick said:

I did this. Just make sure you're not hogging all the power from the same cable, or you might end up putting too much load on it.

What happens if I do? Does the system crash or does it burn the power supply or anything?

2 minutes ago, mikat said:

"Location: Netherlands"

Ja ik dan dat lezen :)

Oh hahaha, moet ik overheen hebben gelezen :D

5 minutes ago, qjanssen said:

Oh okay. Did you use it for long? And did you do any overclocking on it?

Still in use today, the GPU was Overclocked, but the CPU never was. It's been running for a few years.

¢υѕтσм ℓσσρ σя ησтнιηg αт αℓℓ

1 hour ago, DerakDerantick said:

You'll either burn the cable or blow out your PSU. Your PSU should hopefully blow out before the cable burns, or something is seriously wrong anyway.

Regardless, you don't want either of those situations to unfold. It's better to play it safe if you don't know what you're doing because if your PSU goes blam, it could take the rest of the system with it. Just make sure that whatever you're plugging it into is sitting on a rail which has sufficient voltage. 

(I'm not an expert).

Thank you for your answer!

Please,get a new PSU.

Your card wont work,your PSU gets trashed and converts to a piece of crap.

5 hours ago, Codyman125 said:

AWESOME! :D lol

On 15-2-2016 at 10:42 PM, TheRealN00b said:

Please,get a new PSU.

Your card wont work,your PSU gets trashed and converts to a piece of crap.

I have already implemented the solution, and it's working fine. I was just wondering if it was safe to overclock

Hopefully it´s working.Because I know someone who tried a R9 390 with 8-pin adapter : His system constantly was crashing under load.