Need Help With New Gaming Build Under $400 USD?

AlanAlan

I am planning on to build a budget gaming and only have $400 to put into it. I am going for the console killer build. I want to switch from a console to pc gaming for better performance. Can anyone help me out with the parts of the build. Don't know where to start with this build. I only need parts no peripherals needed. I think I don't need a optical drive. 

3 minutes ago, AlanAlan said:

I am planning on to build a budget gaming and only have $400 to put into it. I am going for the console killer build. I want to switch from a console to pc gaming for better performance. Can anyone help me out with the parts of the build. Don't know where to start with this build. I only need parts no peripherals needed. I think I don't need a optical drive. 

you there is very little advantage in this console killer right? as you can only use AMD APUs which will perform worse on pc due to less optimisation unless you use used parts. And then you still might struggle due to good used parts still cost money.

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Just now, linuxfan66 said:

you there is very little advantage in this console killer right? as you can only use AMD APUs which will perform worse on pc due to less optimisation unless you use used parts. And then you still might struggle due to good used parts still cost money.

I disagree. Assuming the $400 price point does NOT include a monitor and peripherals, then you can build a pretty damn capable 1080p gaming machine.

2 minutes ago, linuxfan66 said:

You can use a cheap AMD APU or Athlon chip and then add in a used 280x/7970/7950. 

Primary Build: i7-4790 · 16GB Hynix DDR3-1600 · Sapphire Tri-X R9 390x · NZXT S340 · Win10 Pro · Seagate Barracuda 1TB T_T

Portable: 2015 Retina Macbook Pro 13" · i5-5257u · 512GB PCIe SSD · Intel Iris 6100 T_T

If my post helped you, please rate it!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($72.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A68M-DG3+ Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($44.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Team Elite 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($29.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($46.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 380 4GB PCS+ Video Card  ($164.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Xion XON-310_BK MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($28.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($35.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $424.71
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-15 10:14 EST-0500

At your service.

Just now, sushisharkjl said:

You can use a cheap AMD APU or Athlon chip and then add in a used 280x/7970/7950. 

thats also a roll of the dice that he is is very low on cash he can't afford to lose...

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

Just now, Aereldor said:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($72.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A68M-DG3+ Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($44.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Team Elite 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($29.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($46.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 380 4GB PCS+ Video Card  ($164.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Xion XON-310_BK MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($28.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($35.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $424.71
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-15 10:14 EST-0500

At your service.

can i point something out...he said under 400 dollars and it will probably get higher above that again.

can i point something out...he said under 400 dollars and it will probably get higher above that again.

It is somewhat impossible to make a decent 1080p rig under $400 and without sales. Hell, even kitted out consoles cost $500.

Primary Build: i7-4790 · 16GB Hynix DDR3-1600 · Sapphire Tri-X R9 390x · NZXT S340 · Win10 Pro · Seagate Barracuda 1TB T_T

Portable: 2015 Retina Macbook Pro 13" · i5-5257u · 512GB PCIe SSD · Intel Iris 6100 T_T

Twenty bucks isn't a huge deal in the U.S, and it's worth the extra to catch the discount on that R9 380. 

For a graphics card, I'd personally go for the GTX 750 Ti by MSI as it can run games like Crysis 3 at 40fps at 1920x1080p and it costs $119 at newegg(and it looks good for the price).

However, If I was you, I'd really save up $100 more...

Just now, Alexokan said:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rxRC3C

pretty difficult to do, honestly. Would help if you had something from an old pc to use. 

You can get the Pentium G3258 to about 4.2 GHz on the stock cooler- it isn't the regular terrible Intel stock heatsink, but is considerably beefier. I had the chance to compare it with the heatsink that came with my i3 4160, and I can confirm this.

2 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

You can get the Pentium G3258 to about 4.2 GHz on the stock cooler- it isn't the regular terrible Intel stock heatsink, but is considerably beefier. I had the chance to compare it with the heatsink that came with my i3 4160, and I can confirm this.

Good to know, thanks. Although a 212 is never a bad pick-up as it will do the trick for nearly any CPU with average OC's. 

But even more money to be shaved. 

and to be spent on a 380 - lol

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2t9yvK

Just one bit of advice: DO NOT cheap out and get a dual core. You NEED a quad core. It is not 2013, you NEED 4 cores. Not saying you were going to buy a dual core, I'm just telling you to eliminate the possibility of buying a dual core. Many people are suggesting Pentiums, that is not the route to go. As much as I would suggest to stick with Intel and if you can squeeze an Intel quad-core into your budget that'd be the best of both worlds; nevertheless you may have to go AMD for such a tight budget.

You may want to take a look at the build Austin Evans and Linus did together: The Borinator. I know it's a $500 build, but you may be able to base your build off of that one.

Here's the link to that video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUuK0yAvgRg

39 minutes ago, linuxfan66 said:

16 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin226 said:

Just one bit of advice: DO NOT cheap out and get a dual core. You NEED a quad core. It is not 2013, you NEED 4 cores. Not saying you were going to buy a dual core, I'm just telling you to eliminate the possibility of buying a dual core. Many people are suggesting Pentiums, that is not the route to go. As much as I would suggest to stick with Intel and if you can squeeze an Intel quad-core into your budget that'd be the best of both worlds; nevertheless you may have to go AMD for such a tight budget.

You may want to take a look at the build Austin Evans and Linus did together: The Borinator. I know it's a $500 build, but you may be able to base your build off of that one.

Here's the link to that video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUuK0yAvgRg

25 minutes ago, Alexokan said:

Good to know, thanks. Although a 212 is never a bad pick-up as it will do the trick for nearly any CPU with average OC's. 

But even more money to be shaved. 

and to be spent on a 380 - lol

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2t9yvK

29 minutes ago, N64CUBE said:

Salvage or save more

30 minutes ago, Timlin-Guy said:

For a graphics card, I'd personally go for the GTX 750 Ti by MSI as it can run games like Crysis 3 at 40fps at 1920x1080p and it costs $119 at newegg(and it looks good for the price).

However, If I was you, I'd really save up $100 more...

31 minutes ago, Alexokan said:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rxRC3C

pretty difficult to do, honestly. Would help if you had something from an old pc to use. 

32 minutes ago, sushisharkjl said:

It is somewhat impossible to make a decent 1080p rig under $400 and without sales. Hell, even kitted out consoles cost $500.

Do you think i just build it in this system?

http://www.amazon.com/M32CD-Desktop-Windows-Keyboard-Mouse/dp/B014QVM2KO/ref=sr_1_9?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1455551345&sr=1-9&keywords=Asus

Add a 380 in there, upgrade the ram to 16gb? Ssd upgrade? Will performance be good?

7 minutes ago, AlanAlan said:

Do you think i just build it in this system?

http://www.amazon.com/M32CD-Desktop-Windows-Keyboard-Mouse/dp/B014QVM2KO/ref=sr_1_9?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1455551345&sr=1-9&keywords=Asus

Add a 380 in there, upgrade the ram to 16gb? Ssd upgrade? Will performance be good?

That'd work. Make sure to get the DDR4 version; Skylake chips will not work very well with regular-volted DDR3.

you don't need 16gb of ram. 

you could do that, the value isn't bad. But motherboard and PSU s probably a pile of garbage. If you want components that will last longer, I'd build the whole thing from scratch. 

There is also a chance that that pc is using DDR3L Ram and doesn't have a PSU to support a 380. 

If you add the cost of a 380 to that, you can easy get a similar system with much higher quality of components. That isn't the original budget, that's adding $200 which can easily get you an i5 in the same build I already made. 

A little piece of advice based on my machine.

I have 16GB RAM, in games like FO4 I barely hit 4-6GB on an x64 system, Windows 10 is very efficient for RAM supprisingly, 8GB is fine these days, tbh you could get away with 4 for now and add more later.

The 750Ti (I use this over my R9 mostly) runs games very well for its price, I run FO4 at high 1080p, of course my R9 290 does ultra but tbh there aint much difference.

If you can find some decent parts get them second hand, you will save a lot of money here, just double check everything before you hand over the cash, go in person if you can and inspect the parts first, Although don't buy GPUs cheap, they may have been used for Mining and could be wrecked.

These days for gaming there is no excuse to not have quads, games are moving to better utlization of multi-core CPUs and its only getting higher, if you want to keep gaming without spending more cash go quad.

Also seeing as your on a super tight budget, buy what you need first time, dont double buy (Buy a part now because its cheaper then replace it with a better part later) use the staggered build process, so buy parts as you can afford now that perform the best, you will get much better parts and parts will also drop in price.

Also do you need Windows? if not go for Linux, I wont recommend any warez or anything illegal.

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

1 hour ago, Alexokan said:

you don't need 16gb of ram. 

you could do that, the value isn't bad. But motherboard and PSU s probably a pile of garbage. If you want components that will last longer, I'd build the whole thing from scratch. 

There is also a chance that that pc is using DDR3L Ram and doesn't have a PSU to support a 380. 

If you add the cost of a 380 to that, you can easy get a similar system with much higher quality of components. That isn't the original budget, that's adding $200 which can easily get you an i5 in the same build I already made. 

that wouldn't be that bad. If you took good care of it.