Network periodically drops for short periods.

Go to solution Solved by Timothy11,

Hi Elehat,

I live in Australia so we have different ISPs but when we were with a cheap ISP (Exetel) we had a lot of issues like what you are describing, we even had a solid 4 day outage but the ISP would not admit that they had a problem.

So I used Traceroute logging software to see how far I was getting during bad periods, and we always had connection to external servers even when the internet was not working. I showed these logs to our ISP and when they did nothing we changed to a premium ISP (Telstra) and have not had any issues since.

I recommend that you do some logging and if the issue is not on  your end change ISP.

Dunno if this should go in Troubleshooting or Networking. 

I have the annoying issue that 5 to 10 times a night my internet drops to the point where I get logged out of any games or continuous connection places. Weirdly it happens mainly late when I'd expect there to be low traffic. Are there any tests I could do to find out what's causing these and if there's anything I can do about it? 

I know jack all about networking; I pretty much know that I have powerline, an ISP (sky, UK), and their basic router, and that's it.

I could buy a new router but couldn't use a straight ethernet connection and wifi is possible but painful. Mobo has intel LAN. Also changing ISP would be tough because they give sky tv in a bundle making other ISPs relatively very expensive.    

If you make a post contradicting mine that doesn't directly address my claims, or cites 'facts' without evidence, I'm probably not going to bother responding to it, because you probably didn't bother reading my post properly, and because life is too short. It doesn't mean I don't have an answer for you. It means I'm not dignifying you with a response. 

22 minutes ago, Elehat said:

Also changing ISP would be tough because they give sky tv in a bundle making other ISPs relatively very expensive.    

How hard have you looked into changing ISP, just cause I was in the same situation as you with sky, but I just bit the bullet and when with plus.net, so much better now.

Although I never had issues with internet dropping.

System specs
  • Graphics card: Asus GTX 980 Ti (Temp target: 60c, fan speed: slow as hell)
  • CPU: Intel 6700k @ 4.2Ghz
  • CPU Heatsink: ThermalRight Silver Arrow Extreme
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus Viii Gene
  • Ram: 8GB of DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
  • Headphone source: O2 + Odac 
  • Mic input: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
  • Case: Fractal Design Arc midi R2
  • Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB 
  • Storage: Seagate SSHD 2TB
  • PSU: Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 550w

Peripherals

• Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
  • Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma (16.5 inch/360)
  • Mouse surface: Mionix Sargas 900
  • Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen
  • Keyboard: Filco Majestouch Ninja, MX Brown, Ten Keyless 
  • Headphones: AKG K7xx
  • IEMs: BrainWavs S1

Just now, Pvt. 8Ball said:

How hard have you looked into changing ISP, just cause I was in the same situation as you with sky, but I just bit the bullet and when with plus.net, so much better now.

Although I never had issues with internet dropping.

Not very, I flat share with 3 others so I'd have to get them to agree to it.

Do you think it's an ISP issue then?

If I could be sure it was then I'd probably look into switching, but my flatmates don't report the same issues as me (though they're far less demanding of it than I am).  

If you make a post contradicting mine that doesn't directly address my claims, or cites 'facts' without evidence, I'm probably not going to bother responding to it, because you probably didn't bother reading my post properly, and because life is too short. It doesn't mean I don't have an answer for you. It means I'm not dignifying you with a response. 

4 hours ago, Elehat said:

Not very, I flat share with 3 others so I'd have to get them to agree to it.

Do you think it's an ISP issue then?

If I could be sure it was then I'd probably look into switching, but my flatmates don't report the same issues as me (though they're far less demanding of it than I am).  

It's hard to say, but I'm not a network pro though.

System specs
  • Graphics card: Asus GTX 980 Ti (Temp target: 60c, fan speed: slow as hell)
  • CPU: Intel 6700k @ 4.2Ghz
  • CPU Heatsink: ThermalRight Silver Arrow Extreme
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus Viii Gene
  • Ram: 8GB of DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
  • Headphone source: O2 + Odac 
  • Mic input: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
  • Case: Fractal Design Arc midi R2
  • Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB 
  • Storage: Seagate SSHD 2TB
  • PSU: Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 550w

Peripherals

• Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
  • Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma (16.5 inch/360)
  • Mouse surface: Mionix Sargas 900
  • Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen
  • Keyboard: Filco Majestouch Ninja, MX Brown, Ten Keyless 
  • Headphones: AKG K7xx
  • IEMs: BrainWavs S1

Hi Elehat,

I live in Australia so we have different ISPs but when we were with a cheap ISP (Exetel) we had a lot of issues like what you are describing, we even had a solid 4 day outage but the ISP would not admit that they had a problem.

So I used Traceroute logging software to see how far I was getting during bad periods, and we always had connection to external servers even when the internet was not working. I showed these logs to our ISP and when they did nothing we changed to a premium ISP (Telstra) and have not had any issues since.

I recommend that you do some logging and if the issue is not on  your end change ISP.

1 hour ago, Timothy11 said:

Hi Elehat,

Thanks for this, I'll give traceroute a go. Any software recommendations for network noobs like me who need it easy to understand and use?