StuckOnDetail

System specs are:

asus z170a

i5 6600k 4.5 ghz

gtx 980 ti evga sc ftw

corsair ddr4 2666mhz 16 gigs

corsair rm 750i psu

samsung 850 ssd

I feel like my 980 ti is under performing. My fire strike score is around 14850 which seems low to me. Witcher 3 1080p max no hair works  drops to 39-45 fps in towns and what not. Most other games are fine but it's mainly the witcher 3. Even if I lower a couple settings the gpu usuage goes down to like 60% but my frames stay the same in the towns. Is this just a witcher problem or my system? Any opinions or question welcome. 

IN B4: "Buys 980 ti plays 1080p." Comments.

nothing wrong with 1080p if youre chasing fps cap. score seems low. i can get 23k with overclock stock is about 18500

make sure youre using high performance powerplan in windows.

IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY TO YOU, QUOTE MY POST.

Fire Strike Score

5820K @ 4.8GHZ - 1.25v / Uncore @ 4.5GHZ - 1.2v / 3000MHZ G.skill 32GB Quad Channel / Asus Rampage V Extreme / 950 Pro Nvme / Sound Blaster ZxR  / 980 TI / Windows 7

Yes drivers are up to date. That's my whole fire strike score not just the graphics score.

Just now, StuckOnDetail said:

Yes drivers are up to date. That's my whole fire strike score not just the graphics score.

whats your graphics score ? try with high performance power plan again.

IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY TO YOU, QUOTE MY POST.

Fire Strike Score

5820K @ 4.8GHZ - 1.25v / Uncore @ 4.5GHZ - 1.2v / 3000MHZ G.skill 32GB Quad Channel / Asus Rampage V Extreme / 950 Pro Nvme / Sound Blaster ZxR  / 980 TI / Windows 7

That score seems a bit low

My second PC: i5-2500k @4.5ghz and a GTX980 overclocked to 1400Mhz

currently scores 12,176

Remember, your firestrike score is a combination of CPU and GPU scores so it is not solely GPU benchmark

Also witcher 3 is also a pretty heavily CPU intensive title, in some games an i7 can free up more GPU legroom.

Graphics score is 19700 I can't run a test right now because I am at work. I build this system 2 weeks ago so all the parts are brand new.

Graphics score of 19700 is about right I would say.

I'm currently hitting about 21900 with a bit more GPU horsepower on my main system.

With that number being pretty good it sounds like your CPU might be scoring a bit low.

5 minutes ago, StuckOnDetail said:

Graphics score is 19700 I can't run a test right now because I am at work. I build this system 2 weeks ago so all the parts are brand new.

That's an average, slightly above average, graphics score for a 980ti, especially if is not OC'ed.

|[ i7 6700k ][ MSI z170a XPower Gaming Titanium MB ][ 16gig G.Skill Trident Z 3000mhz ][ Gigabyte Xtreme GTX 980ti ][ Samsung Evo & Intel SSDs ][ Corsair 540 air ][ XFX Pro 750w Platinum ][ 24" Asus 144hz ]|

It's at evga'S overclock on their sc ftw card. I thought the ftw version was hand picked for more over clocking but I can't get it to go over 150 on the core and 200 on the memory. So I don't know what is up. And my cpu in the witcher is usually around 60-70%.

What's your ASIC quality?

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

have you bumped the core voltage at all? higher frequencies do require higher voltages to maintain stability.

and remember, any card is only guaranteed to get the clocks it comes with from the factory, anything over that is more icing on the cake.

Not sure how to get the asic quality. No I haven't touched the voltages just the power limit. Another weird thing my system does is one of the front fans will get brighter then get dimmer with the power of the system. I dunno if things are throttling in the system or what's up lol

The asic quality can be gotten with GPU-Z, the basic meaning behind asic quality is that the higher the asic generally the higher overclock can be had with lower extra voltage, while a lower asic will tend to need more voltage to achieve the same clocks

However, in some cases a lower asic chips(also sometimes called "leaky chips") will respond better to higher voltages than a lower asic value and can thus be overclocked more so long as a cooler is used that can handle WAY more than stock heat generation.

I would recommend maxing out the power limit(which you did) and then turning up the voltage(I'm running 1.274v currently HOWEVER i'm using a modded bios and liquid cooling to keep temperatures down) and trying to use extra voltage to achieve higher clockspeeds.

Watch your temperatures though, you'll want to keep them reasonable when under full GPU load(IMO under 80 degrees C)

Well would it be safe to do that voltage and what not on my air cooled version? I guess so as long as the temps are good but I do not have a modded bios. I have gpuz but I couldn't find where it showed the ASIC rating 

Sounds about right to me... Just ran my stock clock 980ti through Firestrike. Got a score of 14,935. Graphics score of 18,526.

Funny thing. The benchmark doesn't recognize my GPU. Is that normal? It just says Generic VGA.

10 minutes ago, StuckOnDetail said:

Well would it be safe to do that voltage and what not on my air cooled version? I guess so as long as the temps are good but I do not have a modded bios. I have gpuz but I couldn't find where it showed the ASIC rating 

When it comes to increasing voltage, the primary concern you'll have is temperatures, so you can safely increase clocks and voltages so long as your temperatures stay reasonable. EVGA has a quality cooler so you should have some headroom to work with.

To find your asic value with gpu-z, after you open the program, right click on the top bar of the gpu-z program window, inside the drop down menu you'll see "Read ASIC quality" towards the bottom of the list.

Oh okay fair enough. My temps right now at full load in firestrike with everything set from evga peaks at like 73-75c with a rather aggressive fan curve. So I'm not actually sure how much room I do have.