Just installed Hyper 212 Evo, Broke PCIe slot "lock"

Just got my new 212 Evo and installed it, however it came at a price.

I have never installed anything than the stock intel air cooler before in terms of processor fans, on any other rig, so this was a challenge. Pretty happy though, this was the most rewarding application of thermal paste as of yet - it looked amazingly smooth. Anyway, it came at a price.

Whilst installing the cooler, I had some trouble with spacing so I took out the RAM and GPU. I unscrewed the GPU holding screws and proceeded to take out the MSI R9 390, and I always thought that the PCIe "lock" never did anything as before I didn't notice a difference when unlocking it. (silly me)

Anyway, I forced out the GPU and broke it. Is there any negative effects to this? I still have a 2nd PCIe slot but I'm sure that's classed as 'Secondary' by the PC. Planning to CrossFire in the future anyway.

||| Drakon (Desktop Build) |||

|| CPU: 3800X || Cooler: Kraken X63 || Motherboard: B450 Aorus M || Memory: HyperX DDR4-3200MHz 16G ||

|| Storage: 512GB 970 Pro + 500GB 850 EVO + 250GB 850 EVO + 1TB HDD + 2TB HDD || Graphics Card: RX 5700 XT Red Devil || Case: Thermaltake Core V21 || PSU: XFX XTR 750W 80+Gold || 

just dont move your PC and your GPU shouldnt fall out

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Depending on your motherboard, you should be able to enable/disable PCIe slots from within your BIOS.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

12 minutes ago, Aleksbgbg said:

Anyway, I forced out the GPU and broke it. Is there any negative effects to this? I still have a 2nd PCIe slot but I'm sure that's classed as 'Secondary' by the PC. Planning to CrossFire in the future anyway.

How broken is the slot? pics?

1 hour ago, QueenDemetria said:

How broken is the slot? pics?

Just the locking mechanism, everything else is in tact.

|| CPU: 3800X || Cooler: Kraken X63 || Motherboard: B450 Aorus M || Memory: HyperX DDR4-3200MHz 16G ||

|| Storage: 512GB 970 Pro + 500GB 850 EVO + 250GB 850 EVO + 1TB HDD + 2TB HDD || Graphics Card: RX 5700 XT Red Devil || Case: Thermaltake Core V21 || PSU: XFX XTR 750W 80+Gold || 

2 minutes ago, QueenDemetria said:

You should be able to use it then.

Yeh, just wondering if something like GPU sag and such would occur, or if the GPU would fall out etc.

3 minutes ago, Aleksbgbg said:

Yeh, just wondering if something like GPU sag and such would occur, or if the GPU would fall out etc.

It wont effect sag, but there is a chance your GPU will slide out of its slot when moving it around(moving it on the desk should be fine, but if you transport your PC you should check it before using it, or remove the GPU before you transport it.).

21 minutes ago, Aleksbgbg said:

Just the locking mechanism, everything else is in tact.

You should be fine.

I pretty much removed that locking mechanism since it annoyed me.

Rig:Crimson Impaler | CPU: i3 4160 | Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 Evo | Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Savage 16GB kit (2x8) DDR3 1600MHZ CL9 | GPU: Asus Radeon R7 360 | PSU: Corsair CX 430 V2 | Storage: HDD WD 1TB Blue | Case: Delux DLC-MG866

~Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them.~