CM Storm Quickfire OR Ducky Zero

prodigydoo

I have narrowed my decision down to these two keyboards

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=width: 90%]

Ducky DK2108 Zero Mechanical Keyboard (Blue Cherry MX)

and

Cooler Master Storm Quickfire Rapid Mechanical Keyboard (Blue Cherry MX)

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I'm leaning towards the ducky, but I want to get you guys' opinions before I make my final decision, because I will likely stick with this keyboard for a very long time.

I want to be able to type allot, I do a bit of gaming, but comfortable typing is more important. I'm not worried about missing the numpad at all, ill just buy one later if i feel i need it.

so yeh, these keyboards are ones i like and they are within my price range, feel free to suggest others from that site that have a simmilar price or from another site as long as they ship to australia without much cost.

Thanks guys :P

My Meme Proudly Featured on the Live-Stream: http://prodigydoo.com/ImageStorage/memes/linus-meme-6.jpg
Some Threads You Should Get involved in: Linus and Slick Memes     Youtubers on the LTT Forum      The List of Tech YouTubers (Contribute!)      Disable AdBlock for Linus (Guide)

The CM is a very solid board with excellent build quality. Ive used one before and own a Rosewill (they are manufactured by the same oem as Filco and are pretty similar.) That being said, my daily driver is a Ducky 1087XM. It's one of the cheaper mechanical boards out there and the build quality is good, but not quite on the same level as the Filco/CM/Rosewill boards. I did have to put some tape on one of the feet so it would sit flat on my desk. But there is something about the Ducky thats more fun. I could probably try to make a solid argument why but honestly I think its the name.

The CM is a very solid board with excellent build quality. Ive used one before and own a Rosewill (they are manufactured by the same oem as Filco and are pretty similar.) That being said' date=' my daily driver is a Ducky 1087XM. It's one of the cheaper mechanical boards out there and the build quality is good, but not quite on the same level as the Filco/CM/Rosewill boards. I did have to put some tape on one of the feet so it would sit flat on my desk. But there is something about the Ducky thats more fun. I could probably try to make a solid argument why but honestly I think its the name.[/quote']

so you would consider the cm storm quickfire to have better build quality over the ducky zero?

My Meme Proudly Featured on the Live-Stream: http://prodigydoo.com/ImageStorage/memes/linus-meme-6.jpg
Some Threads You Should Get involved in: Linus and Slick Memes     Youtubers on the LTT Forum      The List of Tech YouTubers (Contribute!)      Disable AdBlock for Linus (Guide)

From the sound of it the Ducky Zero has a much better build quality than the one I have but I have never physically used one so I cant say for sure. From the pictures, the fit and finish is more on par with my Rosewill. The top part of the case is one removable piece where as my 1087xm is a few plastic molds slapped together. Maybe I can take some pics later to show the difference. I also like that the zero has a non-detachable cable since the mini usb interface coming loose on the Rosewills/CM (although more so with Rosewill) has been an ongoing issue. Also, I guess Cooler Master switched manufacturers to a Chinese OEM. Can't say if there is a difference but I cant compare it to Costar built boards anymore.

Personally I would go with the Ducky, but either one is a solid choice. I don't have either board in hand right now so take my comments on build quality with a grain of salt.

I would go for the Ducky Zero because of their reputation of making high quality keyboards.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I actually had the same question a little while ago and ended up just trying out both (with MX blues on each one). I'd say both are equally sturdy and built like tanks flex-wise, but the outer casing of the Zero is a cheapy-feeling matte plastic that still looks great while the QFR has a rubberized plastic finish which I personally like more.

If you're stuck between the two and don't care for the numpad, I'd recommend the Rapid over the Ducky. Both are fantastic (I bought both but I won't be selling either anytime soon) but the Rapid has several tiny advantages that stack up to feel like a better keyboard overall.

I think it depends. If you need the number pad (in the future) for crunching numbers on a daily basis, then get the ducky. Otherwise if you're comfortable without the numberpad, go for the quickfire...it'll give you more desk space, and it's more portable.

I own a ducky 9008G2 and have not had any problems with it since the day I bought one. My only complaint is how the cable is routed out the back. Two out of the three routing paths will force the cable to bend. I also would have liked rubber paddings on the two stands. Other than that it's pretty solid but I can't compare it to any CM keyboards because I never had the opportunity to play with one.