Would you be so kind to help me on a build.

Gilkauss

My computer is very outdated now, its more or less 5 years old and I can feel that its too slow for my work.

I don't have any idea for the budget yet but I wouldn't mind the price as long as the build can keep up or at most exceed with the demands of my work.

I'm a web developer, I currently use windows 7 as my OS (if you have a better OS you can suggest please do recommend), Chrome as my utility browser (open up gmail and other google tools, open up project management site, etc.), Firefox as my main test browser, then IE and Safari as other test browsers if needed.

So my day starts with my PC turned on, open up Chrome and Firefox and on both browsers at least 10-15 tabs opened. Open up Sublime Text 2 Editor and Photoshop (for slicing website design). Open up media player for video instructions. FileZilla for file transfer. Open up winamp for music. Jing for screenshots and video recordings. Trillian, Yahoo Messenger, and Skype for my messengers. So all that stuffs opened up at the same time, and that is the work load I would want my new PC build to battle with. I can do it all with my current PC setup but it's like a snail (no offense meant to a snail), I would waste at least 30 seconds to a minute just to switch between tools. There's also an extra thing I would want to do aside from all those tools opened, at the same time I would also like to play a game not for a long time but just to make my brain awake at times when I get sleepy. I usually play Diablo 3 and most FPS games. I don't want to close those apps at the same time while Im playing games because I would want to start on it right away when I finish playing.

Thats it! Many thanks!

Judging by that I'd look at probably an AMD setup;

• AMD 8350
  • Asus M5A97 series board (personal choice)
  • 8 or 16GB of 1600Mhz C9 RAM - Low Profile Corsair Vengeance springs to mind
  • CoolerMaster 212 Evo or if you want to get into some more serious overclocking, a Nocua D14, Corsair H80i or even a H100i.
  • For graphics I'd look probably at a 660TI or the AMD equivalent that I can never remember off the top of my head. If down the road you feel you need even more performance, SLI'd 660Tis are a really good bet. As for the actual brand, my personal choice are the Asus CUII and MSI PE series. Both have really good cooling systems and I haven't had coilwhine issues like I have with a few EVGA and especially Gigabyte cards.
  • 600w PSU - Seasonic have some really good stuff as do Silverstone such as their Strider Plus series.
  • Seagate Barracuda's or WD Blacks though keeping in mind they run a little louder are both good storage options. I wouldn't bother with WD Blues as they're a lot slower than either of the others I've listed.
  • Samsung 840's are a good boot disk though their write times are slower than most because of the use of a stable TLC flash (same thing as most USB's but more reliable now). Other options include Sandisk Extremes and OCZ Vertex drives or if your budget is a little higher, the OCZ Vector or Samsung 840 Pro.

You could go for an Intel chip such as the 3570K or 3770K with the appropriate motherboard (ASrock Extreme, Asus P8Z77, MSI MPower) however I believe because of the amount of multi tasking you're doing, the 8 'cores' on the AMD will give you overall better performance. All up off the top of my head that's about $1400? maybe less.

I'll get back to you when I've had a more detailed think about your existing issue with your monitor. Just checking now though, there isn't like a power saving thing enabled on it is there?

• AMD 8350
  • CoolerMaster 212 Evo or if you want to get into some more serious overclocking, a Nocua D14, Corsair H80i or even a H100i.
  • For graphics I'd look probably at a 660TI or the AMD equivalent that I can never remember off the top of my head. If down the road you feel you need even more performance, SLI'd 660Tis are a really good bet. As for the actual brand, my personal choice are the Asus CUII and MSI PE series. Both have really good cooling systems and I haven't had coilwhine issues like I have with a few EVGA and especially Gigabyte cards.
  • 600w PSU - Seasonic have some really good stuff as do Silverstone such as their Strider Plus series.
  • Seagate Barracuda's or WD Blacks though keeping in mind they run a little louder are both good storage options. I wouldn't bother with WD Blues as they're a lot slower than either of the others I've listed.
  • Samsung 840's are a good boot disk though their write times are slower than most because of the use of a stable TLC flash (same thing as most USB's but more reliable now). Other options include Sandisk Extremes and OCZ Vertex drives or if your budget is a little higher, the OCZ Vector or Samsung 840 Pro.

You could go for an Intel chip such as the 3570K or 3770K with the appropriate motherboard (ASrock Extreme, Asus P8Z77, MSI MPower) however I believe because of the amount of multi tasking you're doing, the 8 'cores' on the AMD will give you overall better performance. All up off the top of my head that's about $1400? maybe less.

I'll get back to you when I've had a more detailed think about your existing issue with your monitor. Just checking now though, there isn't like a power saving thing enabled on it is there?

Wow! That was a very detailed suggestion. I like the way you point out the brands and the options I could take. That would help me a lot. One thing I already have is the 1TB WD Black. Im not a 'filehog' or a collector of something so I don't need large storage space. I could barely use almost 500GB. I checked with my local store/supplier and luckily almost all of the parts are available. Although I'm from the Philippines and the parts here are pretty expensive compared to other locations. On a sidenote though, what case do you recommend for this setup?

Thank you again for your wonderful suggestion, I barely know anything of the current PC technology but I understood the suggestions you made. Thanks!

By the way there is no power saving option enabled.

• AMD 8350

Corsair 600T, C70, 550D, NZXT 420, Fractal R4, Bitfenix Shinobi..

The list goes on.

• AMD 8350

Great! Thanks

Anybody got any more suggestions? and regarding my monitor problem.

Have you tried the monitor from like a laptop or another PC? That'll isolate the issue to either the screen or system.

Have you tried the monitor from like a laptop or another PC? That'll isolate the issue to either the screen or system.
Im using a new monitor so its most probably not the monitor. I had this same issue with my previous monitor which broke down, it was a 5-year old monitor so I figured it was the one having problems. But now that I have a new monitor the issue was gone for a while but now it came back.

• 2 weeks later...
UPDATE: The problem is not showing up anymore. I arranged the cables at the back of my PC properly, most probably it was a loose cable issue or my extension is just broken.

Yay :)

• 1 year later...

It's been a year already but unfortunately I haven't purchased my new build yet because of some shift in financial priorities. I have updated my topic above so please take time to read it again.

I would like to get an input from this community again (specially to Windspeed36  :) ) if there's a better alternative to the build suggested by seigneur Windspeed36 as of today or the build is still the best option for my demands.

• AMD 8350

I'll take a look later

What shops are you using? Budget?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I'm from the Philippines by the way. Budget, hmmm realistically I would say $2000 at max given that prices here are expensive by 10-15%.

I'm from the Philippines by the way. Budget, hmmm realistically I would say $2000 at max given that prices here are expensive by 10-15%.

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

I noticed from the posts above. It's a bit of a waste of time to needlessly convert currencies and configure a parts list from US stores and end up not taking advantage of sales from where you're actually shopping--especially since parts and prices vary depending where you're shopping. What I'm asking for are things like links to the shops you are actually using (if there are any)

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

I noticed from the posts above. It's a bit of a waste of time to needlessly convert currencies and configure a parts list from US stores and end up not taking advantage of sales from where you're actually shopping--especially since parts and prices vary depending where you're shopping. What I'm asking for are things like links to the shops you are actually using (if there are any)

Thanks for the quote tip.

No need to worry about the budget, I'm more concerned with the performance of the build with regards to the demand of work I need from it. But of course it would be a waste if I purchase a supercomputer so I would need your expert opinion to build is reasonable with respect to the demand of work.

No need to worry about the budget, I'm more concerned with the performance of the build with regards to the demand of work I need from it. But of course it would be a waste if I purchase a supercomputer so I would need your expert opinion to build is reasonable with respect to the demand of work.

What you're doing isn't that intensive. All you really need is enough ram and threads that are fast enough to support the multitasking you'll be doing, and a graphics card to accelerate your editing tasks and for gaming, as well as a ssd to make things snappy.

What parts you should choose should depend on your usage scenario and pricing which is why I'm asking for where you're shopping. Is there a website you can link us to or are you shopping at a local shop without a website?

A rough budget would help to know what to stay under.

What you're doing isn't that intensive. All you really need is enough ram and threads that are fast enough to support the multitasking you'll be doing, and a graphics card to accelerate your editing tasks and for gaming, as well as a ssd to make things snappy.

What parts you should choose should depend on your usage scenario and pricing which is why I'm asking for where you're shopping. Is there a website you can link us to or are you shopping at a local shop without a website?

A rough budget would help to know what to stay under.

I think most of my purchase will be based on my favored local shop here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Davao-Futurebright-Enterprises/212653165497970

Their items are not that up to date but I could request them to get the items needed or request another local shop for that.

Realistically about $2000 would be my max budget. I would like to get a specific list of the items as much as possible because I would wan't to maximize my budget with the available recent technology.

As for the RAM, I made a mistake with my current PC setup as I have configured my Windows 7 to be 32-bit instead of 64-bit, which made me stuck to 2Gb of RAM.

I think most of my purchase will be based on my favored local shop here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Davao-Futurebright-Enterprises/212653165497970

Their items are not that up to date but I could request them to get the items needed or request another local shop for that.

Realistically about $2000 would be my max budget. I would like to get a specific list of the items as much as possible because I would wan't to maximize my budget with the available recent technology.

As for the RAM, I made a mistake with my current PC setup as I have configured my Windows 7 to be 32-bit instead of 64-bit, which made me stuck to 2Gb of RAM.

Yeah, their parts selection has yet to be updated for a while. In that case, I'll just go with naming parts and seeing how that goes for you.

Cpu: e3-1230v3

Motherboard: Cheapest 1150 motherboard with 4 dimm slots

Ram: Cheapest 16GB kit available that isn't brand-less. 1600 CL9 if you're not sure where to start.

Ssd: Cheapest decent 120/128GB you can find--probably going to be a Kingston ssdnow v300, Crucial M500, Adata SP600/900, Samsung 840, or Sandisk Ultra Plus.

Hdd: Up to your preference how much storage you want. Go with a seagate barracuda or caviar blue of whatever capacity you need--whichever is cheapest

Gpu: 750 Ti if what you want to play most game on medium-high settings. Go for a 270 or 760 depending on pricing if you want to game on higher settings or a 770/280x if you want to max out most games.

Psu: Depending on what you went with:

- 750Ti: Antec BP/VP - 350/450, cx430(m), or any Seasonic psu 250w+

- 270: cx430(m), evga 500B, or any seasonic 450w+

- 760: cx500(m), some 450w Gold psus, Antec HCG 520, decent 500w psus in general 

- 770/280x: cx600(m), some 450w Gold psus, Antec HCG 520/620, decent 500-600w psus in general

Case: Totally up to you. Suggestions are Fractal Design Core 1000 USB3 and Cooler Master N200

Yeah, their parts selection has yet to be updated for a while. In that case, I'll just go with naming parts and seeing how that goes for you.

Cpu: e3-1230v3

Motherboard: Cheapest 1150 motherboard with 4 dimm slots

Ram: Cheapest 16GB kit available that isn't brand-less. 1600 CL9 if you're not sure where to start.

Ssd: Cheapest decent 120/128GB you can find--probably going to be a Kingston ssdnow v300, Crucial M500, Adata SP600/900, Samsung 840, or Sandisk Ultra Plus.

Hdd: Up to your preference how much storage you want. Go with a seagate barracuda or caviar blue of whatever capacity you need--whichever is cheapest

Gpu: 750 Ti if what you want to play most game on medium-high settings. Go for a 270 or 760 depending on pricing if you want to game on higher settings or a 770/280x if you want to max out most games.

Psu: Depending on what you went with:

- 750Ti: Antec BP/VP - 350/450, cx430(m), or any Seasonic psu 250w+

- 270: cx430(m), evga 500B, or any seasonic 450w+

- 760: cx500(m), some 450w Gold psus, Antec HCG 520, decent 500w psus in general 

- 770/280x: cx600(m), some 450w Gold psus, Antec HCG 520/620, decent 500-600w psus in general

Case: Totally up to you. Suggestions are Fractal Design Core 1000 USB3 and Cooler Master N200

Thanks! That list is great to start with. A couple of clarifications though, would an i5 be better compared to the xeon or the xeon is much suitable for my work because of hyperthreading?

For the OS, I find Windows 8 to be tricky to use and I feel like it has a lot of bloatwares and consumes a lot of memory than windows 7. But of course I have to consider that Microsoft will not be giving support further to Windows 7 and would eventually force users to go with Windows 8.

Thanks! That list is great to start with. A couple of clarifications though, would an i5 be better compared to the xeon or the xeon is much suitable for my work because of hyperthreading?

For the OS, I find Windows 8 to be tricky to use and I feel like it has a lot of bloatwares and consumes a lot of memory than windows 7. But of course I have to consider that Microsoft will not be giving support further to Windows 7 and would eventually force users to go with Windows 8.

The e3-1230v3 is similar to the 4770 except it's slightly lower clocked, is rated to run 24/7, and a few other features. The main difference between an i5 and i7 is hyperthreading.

Windows 8 doesn't use more memory than Windows 7.. It's better in pretty much every way. 

The e3-1230v3 is similar to the 4770 except it's slightly lower clocked, is rated to run 24/7, and a few other features. The main difference between an i5 and i7 is hyperthreading.

Windows 8 doesn't use more memory than Windows 7.. It's better in pretty much every way. 

Thanks! Will take note of that.

• 3 months later...

Hi again,

Based on the availability of the parts one supplier gave me his list for my options, let me know what you think:

Cpu:
- Core i7-4790

Motherboard:

- Gigabyte G.1 Sniper

Ram:
- G.Skill 2x8gb 1600 CL9. Ripjaws X Blue

Ssd:
- Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD

Hdd:
- 2 TB Seagate Barracuda's

Gpu:
- Asus gtx770 2gb ddr5 direct cu11 oc
- SAPPHIRE R9-280X 3GB gddR5 DUAL
- MSI R9 280 GAMING 3GB DDR5 384BITS

Psu:
- Seasonic X750 80+ GOLD Full Modular

Case:
- Corsair Carbide 200R
- NZXT Phantom 410 White / Gun metal Midtower Case

Cooling:
- Coolermaster V8 GTS
- Corsair H60 Hydro Cooler

- WINDOWS 8.1 64BIT SL

TOTAL = ~$1925

Hi again,

Based on the availability of the parts one supplier gave me his list for my options, let me know what you think:

Cpu:
- Core i7-4790

Motherboard:

- Gigabyte G.1 Sniper
Ram:
- G.Skill 2x8gb 1600 CL9. Ripjaws X Blue
Ssd:
- Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD
Hdd:
- 2 TB Seagate Barracuda's
Gpu:
- Asus gtx770 2gb ddr5 direct cu11 oc
- SAPPHIRE R9-280X 3GB gddR5 DUAL
- MSI R9 280 GAMING 3GB DDR5 384BITS
Psu:
- Seasonic X750 80+ GOLD Full Modular
Case:
- Corsair Carbide 200R
- NZXT Phantom 410 White / Gun metal Midtower Case
Cooling:
- Coolermaster V8 GTS
- Corsair H60 Hydro Cooler
- WINDOWS 8.1 64BIT SL

TOTAL = ~$1925

Is there a cheaper i7 or HT xeon available?

It would help to be more specific--there's more than one G.1 Sniper board.

The blue ram and green motherboard is awkward. 

No need for an aftermarket cooler if you're not planning to oc. Both aftermarket solutions are also pretty loud. 

Were you planning to cf? The psu is quite overkill even for that and is far from the cheapest option available. 

Is there a cheaper i7 or HT xeon available?

It would help to be more specific--there's more than one G.1 Sniper board.

The blue ram and green motherboard is awkward. 

No need for an aftermarket cooler if you're not planning to oc. Both aftermarket solutions are also pretty loud. 

Were you planning to cf? The psu is quite overkill even for that and is far from the cheapest option available. 

They don't have any xeon available. Their lowest i7 is INTEL CORE I7 4770 3.4GHz LGA1150 HASWELL.

For the motherboard its Gigabyte G.1 Sniper M5

I thought that blue on green would look awkward too so they offered me an alternative: Corsair Vengeance™ Pro DDR3 1600 16GB 8GBx2kit CL9 w/Black Heat Spreader

For the cooler, yes I'm planning to OC a bit, they have the Noctua NH-U12P SE2 and NH-D14 as alternatives.

For the PSU, they have

- Seasonic G-550 GOLD Modular PSU

- Aerocool Imperator 650W PSU

- HEC COUGAR 600W

- CM Elite V2 500W

So to recap, here are my options:

CPU:
- Core i7-4790
- Core i7 4770 3.4GHz LGA1150 HASWELL
MOTHERBOARD:
- Gigabyte G.1 Sniper M5
RAM: