AMD's Upcoming Zen CPUs May Contain up to 32 Cores

http://deliddedtech.com/2016/02/12/rumor-amds-zen-processors-may-feature-up-to-32-cores

This is absolutely crazy. We know AMD has a reputation for constantly upping the core count, but damn. This is the most cores I've ever heard of it in a CPU. And supposedly, they're delivering 40% increased IPC on top of this. Any thoughts? I'm already starting to regret upgrading to an i5 6600K... Obviously the 32 core CPUs will be extremely expensive and for servers, but consumer CPUs with Haswell-level IPC with 8 or 16 cores would make for a pretty godly PC.

I understand that additional cores won't really help with most of the games, but please correct me if I'm wrong. I wish to see what other forumers think as well 

3 minutes ago, clyeong said:

I understand that additional cores won't really help with most of the games, but please correct me if I'm wrong. I wish to see what other forumers think as well 

Excessive CPU cores don't help much at the moment, but DirectX 12 appears to be adding parallelization to GPU workloads. That means that more CPU power can more directly translate to better performance. Whether more cores will help more, or individual core power will still be the dominant aspect for gaming performance isn't very clear yet.

AMD put a lot of work into Mantle and the foundations for DirectX 12 though, so if anyone knows how to best utilize it, it'll likely be AMD.

5 minutes ago, clyeong said:

Directx12 supposedly helps improve multi-threading by allowing draw calls to run on multiple cores, as well as reducing driver overhead/threading that as well, so that should increase the usage of more cores to some degree. The game is still mostly limited by the ability of developers to write their game to run in parallel, which isn't always possible.

I doubt all 32 cores will by utilized by games, but it will be awesome for multitasking, For example you might be streaming your gameplay while playing, having music play in the background, with teamspeak/skype on, as well as something else.

Take everything you read about an unreleased amd product with a HUGE grain of salt. Steamroller was supposed to bring a 30% ipc increase, what we got was kaveri.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

2 hours ago, clyeong said:

Why would server processors have things that help with games? :P

I mean you have the Phi processors with thousands of cores..

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

12 cores @  6Ghzs for the win. :ph34r: