Detachable Headphone Cable Question

Spartancloud

I've been considering getting a new set of headphones and my old set had a really long cable, which at first I found fairly annoying but over time I realized it's really useful at times. So I've noticed that a good amount of headphones have detachable cables but often it sounds like they come with only one cable, are these cables generally standardized (like the connection to the headphones) or will I need to buy an expensive proprietary cable if I wanted a short and a long cable.

Thanks in advance for the help.

That depends on the headphone. Some headphones (like the Sennheiser Momentums and the Audio-Technica M50x') come with a propriatery 2.5mm locking connector, while other headphones (like the Audio-Technica MSR7s or the Philips SPH9500s) use a standard 3,5mm to 3,5mm aux cable.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Depends on the headphones. My ATH M50x have a proprietary detachable cable. But there are also models out there that go with the ordinary 3.5mm connection

Fanboys, on both sides, are quite embarrassing. How can one be a "fan" of a company? A companies only goal is to make a profit off you. Instead of being a smart consumer and base your purchase decision on the best price / performance you choose to dick yourself over by only considering brand X. Idiotic loss to be honest.

~Quibiss

7 minutes ago, Volbet said:

That depends on the headphone. Some headphones (like the Sennheiser Momentums and the Audio-Technica M50x') come with a propriatery 2.5mm locking connector, while other headphones (like the Audio-Technica MSR7s or the Philips SPH9500s) use a standard 3,5mm to 3,5mm aux cable.

6 minutes ago, SQZY98 said:

Depends on the headphones. My ATH M50x have a proprietary detachable cable. But there are also models out there that go with the ordinary 3.5mm connection

Thanks for the info, I guess it's just something I'll have to look into once I narrow my selection down a bit.