I5 4690 non K Question

alyster

Hey

I have a non K version of i5 4690 on MSI's Z97 chipset. I took the non K cause I did not plan to OC. However when I was looking around in BIOS I saw I was able to increase voltage from 100 MHz to something else thus effecting the clockspeed. It raised few questions for me.

a) What's the difference between "proper" overclocking and just increasing voltage on non K?

b) How dangerous is it granted I use proper cooling?

Probably been asked and answered a million times but hey I'm noob. 

The main difference I am aware of is that it disables features like iGPU. It shouldn't be dangerous provided you are careful... and if you use proper cooling which you said you would.

23 hours ago, Tesel said:

The main difference I am aware of is that it disables features like iGPU. It shouldn't be dangerous provided you are careful... and if you use proper cooling which you said you would.

Thanks. I thought there might be some hidden dangers more of breaking something on non K.

It's nice to know I could try some OC in the future when I need it. But for now the base is sufficent for my 1080p gaming needs. 

39 minutes ago, alyster said:

Thanks. I thought there might be some hidden dangers more of breaking something on non K.

It's nice to know I could try some OC in the future when I need it. But for now the base is sufficent for my 1080p gaming needs. 

That is a pretty awesome CPU, I agree. I would check elsewhere or research more before you try it yourself - especially if you want to upgrade and sell your system, overclocking BCLK could hurt your resell prices.

On 10/02/2016 at 6:24 PM, alyster said:

Hey

I have a non K version of i5 4690 on MSI's Z97 chipset. I took the non K cause I did not plan to OC. However when I was looking around in BIOS I saw I was able to increase voltage from 100 MHz to something else thus effecting the clockspeed. It raised few questions for me.

a) What's the difference between "proper" overclocking and just increasing voltage on non K?

b) How dangerous is it granted I use proper cooling?

Probably been asked and answered a million times but hey I'm noob. 

What you're talking about is the base clock. That is not a viable way to overclock on haswell. Pretty much everything is tied to it. Going too high (which would be like 104mhz or so)with it can cause tons of stability issues, the gains you'll get with it will be very small, not worth the headache.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB