Why does it seem like most Web Devs use Macs?

Ryokeen
1 hour ago, mikat said:

same, 11" macbook air is ideal for school and programming :D

not full hd, that's my only complaint :)

(i tried to do web dev on my windows machine and it works, but it's alot more work to set up a simple http server, this is really easy with terminal, not so easy on windows because you have to install a program and such :/)

OMFG. Small laptop screen sizes piss me off. You can't do work on anything less than 12 inches! Or anything more than 30 inches.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

On 9 February 2016 at 3:40 PM, alpenwasser said:

I had a very curious experience when I went shopping for a new laptop last year actually. After filtering out products which didn't meet my requirements for one reason or another, Lenovo and Apple were left, and the Macbook Pro turned out to have better price/performance. As in: I spec'd out the Lenovo machines which were possible candidates similarly to the MBP, and they ended up being more expensive by a few hundred. Having said that, at least some Lenovo products seem to be significantly more expensive where I live than elsewhere for some reason.

So I ended up with a 15" MBP. Mostly very happy with it, a few niggles and complaints (well, primarily one: The keyboard not having dedicated Insert, Home, Page Up, Page Down and Delete keys is fucking retarded). Though I'm not too big on OSX, so I put Arch Linux on it. Been using that as my primary workhorse for the past year or so, it's doing a nice job of it.

As for the topic's question: It might also just be that you notice Macs more when they're being used. Though I can't say for sure, of course. But in the end, OSX, Windows and Linux should allow you to do front-end web development unless you need to use some specific tool for your specific job which is only available on one platform. But in the end, what do you really need? A good editor or IDE, browsers to test out the page, graphics programs? But I might be overlooking something, I'm not a professional front-end dev, after all.

This is a very good point.

The mark-up on MacBook Pros isn't as high as people think.

You are paying for a 2.5K IPS display, a full aluminum unibody case, Intel CPUs running at very high clock speeds for a laptop (up to 3,6 Ghz Haswell i7s), PCIe SSDs with read/write performance close to 1GB/s, the one-and-only trackpad that actually is usable, outstanding battery-life, free upgrades to the next generation OS, a very enjoyable keyboard (although missing some keys like delete, end and home), high-speed RAM. Not to mention the decent speakers, webcam, THUNDERBOLT(!!!) connectivity that allows you to connect external PCIe devices like GPU's (yes I have an external 960). 

The price/performance compared to other machines is not bad -at all-. 

I believe a lot of developer's choose to go for Macs because the machines are very capable and powerful. Front-end development doesn't really require any special software that you only get on one platform. 

I have now had my rMBP13" for over a year, and it still feels brand new. It is the laptop that I have ever had for the longest amount of time. Throughout the years I have always had to replace my laptops within a year because they are uselessly slow and outdated. 

Running Arch with i3-gaps on a Thinkpad X1 Extreme
Data Science Postgrad

4 hours ago, Claryn said:

This is a very good point.

The mark-up on MacBook Pros isn't as high as people think.

You are paying for a 2.5K IPS display, a full aluminum unibody case, Intel CPUs running at very high clock speeds for a laptop (up to 3,6 Ghz Haswell i7s), PCIe SSDs with read/write performance close to 1GB/s, the one-and-only trackpad that actually is usable, outstanding battery-life, free upgrades to the next generation OS, a very enjoyable keyboard (although missing some keys like delete, end and home), high-speed RAM. Not to mention the decent speakers, webcam, THUNDERBOLT(!!!) connectivity that allows you to connect external PCIe devices like GPU's (yes I have an external 960). 

The price/performance compared to other machines is not bad -at all-. 

I believe a lot of developer's choose to go for Macs because the machines are very capable and powerful. Front-end development doesn't really require any special software that you only get on one platform. 

I have now had my rMBP13" for over a year, and it still feels brand new. It is the laptop that I have ever had for the longest amount of time. Throughout the years I have always had to replace my laptops within a year because they are uselessly slow and outdated. 

Delete: alt (option) + backspace

End: command + right arrow

Home: command + left arrow

For all the keyboard shortcuts:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201236

I personally like the mac approach way more then the pc approach.

For me command+arrows are a lot easier to reach then the home and end key (I have to look at my keyboard to find the delete/home button, I dont on a Mac keyboard).

Desktop: Intel i9-10850K (R9 3900X died 😢 )| MSI Z490 Tomahawk | RTX 2080 (borrowed from work) - MSI GTX 1080 | 64GB 3600MHz CL16 memory | Corsair H100i (NF-F12 fans) | Samsung 970 EVO 512GB | Intel 665p 2TB | Samsung 830 256GB| 3TB HDD | Corsair 450D | Corsair RM550x | MG279Q

Laptop: Surface Pro 7 (i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD)

Console: PlayStation 4 Pro

Just now, mathijs727 said:

Delete: alt (option) + backspace

End: command + right arrow

Home: command + left arrow

For all the keyboard shortcuts:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201236

Holy shit you just saved my life.

Running Arch with i3-gaps on a Thinkpad X1 Extreme
Data Science Postgrad