Ram compatibility

Vaner

I am in the process of upgrading my 7 year old tower but with no much of a budget so I was wondering if a DDR3 1600MHz Ram would work with an i7 processor for a little while until i get the money for new Dims?
I know I won't be able to take advantage the full power of the processor or overclock it i need to just keep on working...

American by birth, Greek by ancestry and pride, Geek by enthusiasm, Electronics Engineer by choice , Musician by passion, Blackbeard by appearance.

Pc: Name Vanericus Creation date 11/20/2009 

Laptop: Name Blackbeard date 27/7/2016 Msi GT72S 6QD Diminator G                                            

we gonn need your mobo and cpu model to tell you if thats possible.

theres almost no reason to upgrade a 7yr old system for ram frequency. unless you want to up your ram from 4-8gb to say 16gb or more, then you might just take higher frequency too.

IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY TO YOU, QUOTE MY POST.

Fire Strike Score

5820K @ 4.8GHZ - 1.25v / Uncore @ 4.5GHZ - 1.2v / 3000MHZ G.skill 32GB Quad Channel / Asus Rampage V Extreme / 950 Pro Nvme / Sound Blaster ZxR  / 980 TI / Windows 7

we need to know your full system specs, if your mobo supports ddr2 then you cant put ddr3 in. i7's have been around quite some time as they reuse the name, do you have model numbers?

thatguyyouknow75 Νο I am doing research to buy my hardware and i need to account for Ram if to compatible my Ram is DDR3 Xms3 from Corsair so if ram was not necessary now i could buy something better on a motherboard and wait until summer for ram

American by birth, Greek by ancestry and pride, Geek by enthusiasm, Electronics Engineer by choice , Musician by passion, Blackbeard by appearance.

19 minutes ago, Minsekt said:

we gonn need your mobo and cpu model to tell you if thats possible.

theres almost no reason to upgrade a 7yr old system for ram frequency. unless you want to up your ram from 4-8gb to say 16gb or more, then you might just take higher frequency too.

I am looking for a new system and I know for now that i am going to carry to the new system  my Psu, HDDs, SSD , and Gpu so I was wonder if I can save for now the Ram to buy something later for a better price

3 minutes ago, Vaner said:

Νο I am doing research to buy my hardware and i need to account for Ram if to compatible my Ram is DDR3 Xms3 from Corsair so if ram was not necessary now i could buy something better on a motherboard and wait until summer for ram

What are you full system specs?

Not all RAM is compatible with every Motherboard and CPU.

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

1 minute ago, Lazmarr said:

What are you full system specs?

Not all RAM is compatible with every Motherboard and CPU.

I have an Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 , Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 ,Asus P5P43TD Pro mobo , Corsair 8Gb Xms3 DDR3 RAM,PSU Corsair CX600W Psu 

23 minutes ago, Vaner said:

thatguyyouknow75 Νο I am doing research to buy my hardware and i need to account for Ram if to compatible my Ram is DDR3 Xms3 from Corsair so if ram was not necessary now i could buy something better on a motherboard and wait until summer for ram

in that case, 1600mhz is plenty fast, ddr3 is still relevant and assuming you have enough will run everything magnificently, and the minimum i suggest is 8gb, whereas 16 is optimal

1 minute ago, thatguyyouknow75 said:

in that case, 1600mhz is plenty fast, ddr3 is still relevant and assuming you have enough will run everything magnificently, and the minimum i suggest is 8gb, whereas 16 is optimal

I need to know if it would ran for a couple of months till i find a good deal on them

The max your motherboard can have is 16GB and 8GB is really good for most people. why do you want to upgrade? so far I think waiting is a better.

16 minutes ago, Vaner said:

I need to know if it would ran for a couple of months till i find a good deal on them

as i said, 8gb of ddr3 will last you a long time yet

3 hours ago, Fastbrony Racer said:

The max your motherboard can have is 16GB and 8GB is really good for most people. why do you want to upgrade? so far I think waiting is a better.

I have performance issues on new games and music programs I am not in any harry I just think it's time to start expanding my capabilities.