Ulrawide or X99?

Beeeyeee

Should I get the Acer X34 Predator (3440x1440 Ultrawide G-sync monitor) or upgrade to X99?

I do a little bit of gaming but mainly lots of video editing and rendering as well as livestreaming wich my 4790k handles fine.

the thing is... I cant decide if and ultra wide 3440x1440 gaming and editing experience would be worth more than 2 more cores to decrease rendering time. opinions? also, could a single 980ti max graphics on that Predator for say Witcher 3?

Opinions, now! :D

ultra wide hands down, it will allow you to be more productive
x99 would just give you slightly faster render times

I'm sure there are plenty of benches out there that will give you an idea of performance..

Personally I'd go for the ultrawide or a rendering rig... or both... Grab some old e5's or similar..

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

1 minute ago, Dzzope said:

I'm sure there are plenty of benches out there that will give you an idea of performance..

Personally I'd go for the ultrawide or a rendering rig... or both... Grab some old e5's or similar..

well I already have the whole rig. haha:) its in my bio. I'm just talking about upgrades. I'll check out those benchmarks though, 

1 minute ago, Beeeyeee said:

well I already have the whole rig. haha:) its in my bio. I'm just talking about upgrades. I'll check out those benchmarks though, 

Put it this way... If you ever plan to go SLI 980ti, you best grab x99 before doing it. Otherwise, ultrawide all the way.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Ultra wide you are as close to as good as it gets (within reason) as is, in tems of CPU grunt, wait til you actually need the power increase.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

If you have 2 decent monitors, upgrade to X99

I prefer 2x 16:10 monitors over 2x 16:9 monitors of similar resolution.

11 minutes ago, Beeeyeee said:

If your considering an upgrade that will cost at least $450 and more realistically near $600 with a 5820k, cheapest board and 16 GB of the cheapest ram..

You can get x79//c600 based e5 2670's for $70 each.. a dual socket motherboard can be had for about $350, add ram a case and psu and thats a 16 core, 32 thread rendering box ready to go for the price of your upgrade...

You could even go down the VM route and have a storage server and rendering server on the same machine.. add storage as you need and fast network so you could run live at 4Gb/s across the network... There are loads of options in your price range that will offer power and flexibility for years.

Just pointing out options for the budget...

2 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Put it this way... If you ever plan to go SLI 980ti, you best grab x99 before doing it. Otherwise, ultrawide all the way.

really though During even witcher 3 maxed out the CPU is at less than 40% load. Looking up benchmarks I would probasbly need another 980ti to run it maxed out. I think I'll be fine without it. now that I think about it. the render times are longer than i'd like.. but I can deal with that. this monitor will definitely help with editing for sure. and it'll be cool to play some games on it. 

i'm thinking this: 

1. ultrawide

2. second 980ti

3. x99

4. watercool it all. 

of course it'll be a while because I just use the money I get from donating Blood Plasma to buy this stuff. (you can make bank) but I think thats a good upgrade plan.

3 minutes ago, Dzzope said:

If your considering an upgrade that will cost at least $450 and more realistically near $600 with a 5820k, cheapest board and 16 GB of the cheapest ram..

You can get x79//c600 based e5 2670's for $70 each.. a dual socket motherboard can be had for about $350, add ram a case and psu and thats a 16 core, 32 thread rendering box ready to go for the price of your upgrade...

You could even go down the VM route and have a storage server and rendering server on the same machine.. add storage as you need and fast network so you could run live at 4Gb/s across the network...

Just pointing out options for the budget...

good point my friend. but I think going the consumer route will be better mainly for looks, and dual sockets and all that complicated stuff can really have so many problems i'd rather not deal with. honestly maybe i'll do that as a second rendering/storage server for me in the future. but right now I think I really want to get into some games. :) 

2 minutes ago, Beeeyeee said:

really though During even witcher 3 maxed out the CPU is at less than 40% load. Looking up benchmarks I would probasbly need another 980ti to run it maxed out. I think I'll be fine without it. now that I think about it. the render times are longer than i'd like.. but I can deal with that. this monitor will definitely help with editing for sure. and it'll be cool to play some games on it. 

i'm thinking this: 

1. ultrawide

2. second 980ti

3. x99

4. watercool it all. 

of course it'll be a while because I just use the money I get from donating Blood Plasma to buy this stuff. (you can make bank) but I think thats a good upgrade plan.

That's not how it works....

x99 OBLITERATES z97 in SLI because SLI overhead spreading allows much better thread 0 pounding by the rest of the game.

Just check this out...

This is the difference between x99 and z97 both OC'd on three of the most graphically demanding games in existence at 4k Ultra Settings (aka as gpu bound as you can make a modern game). Huge...

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Absolutely.. but if your thinking of cpu change to x99 or whatever the Skylake-E chipset will be, think about old server tech going used and cheap... Most hardware is replaced after about 3 years.. (sometimes 2 sometimes 4 or even 5) so you can get some great prices on that age of chip. Yes it'll be older platform and tech.. but it'll have LOADS of cores and is designed to just run without errors 24/7.. Even if you go single chip with more cores. for less complexity.

Keep it in mind.. if you do professional rendering work and will be for the foreseeable future, then it's a route worth considering.. And you can hide it in a cupboard/wardrobe as you don't need direct access. 

The next iteration of Pascal GPUs will have display port 1.3 support. Does the Ultra Wide you are considering have this support ?

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

4 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

That's not how it works....

x99 OBLITERATES z97 in SLI because SLI overhead spreading allows much better thread 0 pounding by the rest of the game.

Just check this out...

This is the difference between x99 and z97 both OC'd on three of the most graphically demanding games in existence at 4k Ultra Settings (aka as gpu bound as you can make a modern game). Huge...

do you see the VRAM diffrence there? something fishy is going on in that video. whether or not it was by accident.

also, in every other video I can find about this, theres not nearly that margin of difference. 

4 minutes ago, SydneySideSteveSomewheres said:

The next iteration of Pascal GPUs will have display port 1.3 support. Does the Ultra Wide you are considering have this support ?

no I won't need that.. its less than 4k Resolution and it will be fine. plus i'm not planning on upgrading to pascal anytime soon. but thanks though :)

2 hours ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

If you have 2 decent monitors, upgrade to X99

I prefer 2x 16:10 monitors over 2x 16:9 monitors of similar resolution.

Can't game on a dual monitor set-up though, that's where the ultrawide might be more useful.

i5 4670 | Asrock Fatal1ty H87 | G.Skill 16GB snipars | Gigabyte GTX 760 Windforce | CM 690 III | 850 Evo 250GB + 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Seasonic G-750 | Logitech G502 | AKG K553 | Windows 10

44 minutes ago, Intr1nsik said:

Can't game on a dual monitor set-up though, that's where the ultrawide might be more useful.

I don't know why you would think that you cannot game on 2 monitors. 

3 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

I don't know why you would think that you cannot game on 2 monitors. 

If you're okay with a crosshair between two monitors or only using one of them then sure.

i5 4670 | Asrock Fatal1ty H87 | G.Skill 16GB snipars | Gigabyte GTX 760 Windforce | CM 690 III | 850 Evo 250GB + 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Seasonic G-750 | Logitech G502 | AKG K553 | Windows 10

7 minutes ago, Intr1nsik said:

If you're okay with a crosshair between two monitors or only using one of them then sure.

I wouldn't recommend gaming on 2 monitors nor would I buy an ultrawide. 

This is my opinion,  it doesn't have to be the same as yours. 

Don't fight me. 

9 hours ago, Beeeyeee said:

do you see the VRAM diffrence there? something fishy is going on in that video. whether or not it was by accident.

also, in every other video I can find about this, theres not nearly that margin of difference. 

Vram difference (which outside of GTA V) is actually quite small would only help the 4790k variant.

Harder gpu settings take more vram.

Also no other video (z97/x99 sli 980ti) I have seen actually uses oc'd parts around the board, which leads into the issue.

You can find some similar data even with 980 sli scaling, the quad core chips just can't keep up.

Digital Foundary's latest video came out explicitly because they noticed cpu issues with their dual fury x builds (and 980ti sli) in that head to head.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS