system restarts randomly while playing demanding games

tookey
Go to solution Solved by tookey,
Just now, anandgeforce said:

Why not Corsair? The VS Series is not intended for such specs. But there is the HXi Series, RMi Series, AXi Series, etc. that are some of the best PSUs in the world.

I even personally recommend the Corsair RM550 : 80+ Gold too!

how about seasonic g series 80+gold modular ??

System Specs: Intel i5 4440, Zotac GTX 970, 8 gb ddr3 1866mhz ram, gigabyte b85m-d3h, corsair vs550w psu, kingston ssd + 1tb 7200 rpm seagate hdd, 4x120mm case fans

I got this system last and it was working perfectly fine. I could run the latest games on ultra settings without any problems. Since a month or two it has started to reboot randomly when playing games like far cry 4. I have already completed that game when I got my system without any problems. I thought my game is broken so I reinstalled it but I still get the same problem. So I thought I should try it on some other game so I ran dying light and it can barely run for 2 minutes before restarting. Fallout 4 restarts as well. When I tried playing older games on it like dead space 2, mass effect 2,3 it works perfectly without any restarts. 

I ran FurMark burn in at my screen resolution (1080p) for over an hour without any restarts. The temperature hit a max of 80C on stock cooling curve and 67C on custom cooling curve. To test my cpu I ran prime95 which gave no problems either. Max cpu temp was around 64C. Even ran MemTest86 which showed no error as well. Everything is running on stock clock. Never overclocked anything.

What could the problem be ?

Edited by tookey

5 minutes ago, tookey said:

System Specs: Intel i5 4440, Zotac GTX 970, 8 gb ddr3 1866mhz ram, gigabyte b85m-d3h, corsair vs550w psu, kingston ssd + 1tb 7200 rpm seagate hdd, 4x120mm case fans

I got this system last and it was working perfectly fine. I could run the latest games on ultra settings without any problems. Since a month or two it has started to reboot randomly when playing games like far cry 4. I have already completed that game when I got my system without any problems. I thought my game is broken so I reinstalled it but I still get the same problem. So I thought I should try it on some other game so I ran dying light and it can barely run for 2 minutes before restarting. Fallout 4 restarts as well. When I tried playing older games on it like dead space 2, mass effect 2,3 it works perfectly without any restarts. 

I ran FurMark burn in at my screen resolution (1080p) for over an hour without any restarts. The temperature hit a max of 80C on stock cooling curve and 67C on custom cooling curve. To test my cpu I ran prime95 which gave no problems either. Max cpu temp was around 64C. Even ran MemTest86 which showed no error as well. Everything is running on stock clock. Never overclocked anything.

What could the problem be ?

I'd recommend you to check the event logs in Windows.

Nothing to see here ;)

3 hours ago, anandgeforce said:

I'd recommend you to check the event logs in Windows.

i did check the event log thers a kernel power error 41

what does this mean ??

Just now, Paranoid Kami said:

Try reinstalling directx. Only thing I can think of.

all my drivers are updated.

i just did a fresh install of my os window 8.1 and installed all the updated drivers

i did check the event log thers a kernel power error 41

what does this mean ??

Your power-supply is simply not enough, or it is failing. 550W is ample for a system of your spec. I suspect the latter...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2028504

Nothing to see here ;)

1 minute ago, anandgeforce said:

Your power-supply is simply not enough, or it is failing. 550W is ample for a system of your spec. I suspect the latter...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2028504

which psu would you recommend ??

i sure as hell am not going for corsair though.

which psu would you recommend ??

i sure as hell am not going for corsair though.

Why not Corsair? The VS Series is not intended for such specs. But there is the HXi Series, RMi Series, AXi Series, etc. that are some of the best PSUs in the world.

Nothing to see here ;)

Just now, anandgeforce said:

14 minutes ago, tookey said:

Before you go buy a new PSU, I would look into other causes for the crashes. While the name may make it sound like a power problem here is how event viewer defines it: 

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

That's all Kernel Power 41 is. So it might have something to do with your PSU, but maybe not. And you don't want to have to buy hardware you don't need.

Core i5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce | MSI Z170 Krait Gaming Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR4 2400 | NZXT S340 Red                                              EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo | Razer Blackwidow Tournament | Logitech G600 Razer Kraken USB                                                                                                            If you want me to see your post, please remember to quote me!

2 hours ago, TrifectaIII said:

Before you go buy a new PSU, I would look into other causes for the crashes. While the name may make it sound like a power problem here is how event viewer defines it: 

That's all Kernel Power 41 is. So it might have something to do with your PSU, but maybe not. And you don't want to have to buy hardware you don't need.

what other test should i run then ??

which other component could be at fault ?