PC for complex calculations and games on ultra

trzasku

A friend of mine wants to upgrade his PC that he uses for work because it is to slow for him. He asks if it is possible to have like 100GB of RAM for the softwares he works in. I thought of something like the GTX 980 Ti/Titan X or even a 2x Titan X Sli for gaming but I am not sure about the RAM and other for the software that he uses for work, mayby something like the i7 5930K?

1. Budget

No limit but he do not want to overpay for something that is only slightly better.

2. Aim

Mainly for work in heavy software (Hold'em Manager 2) that performs very complex calculations and uses large local datebase(100GB+) in PostgreSQL. Newest games like The Witcher on ultra (the highest possible) settings.

2. Current computer

i5-4590 @3.30 GHz, 2x Samsung SSD, GTX 970, 16GB of RAM running Windows 7.

Definitely something on the X99 platform for him if he has those kinds of needs.

I would have him contact PugetSystems to be honest, this seems right up their alley considering most of the PCs/Workstations they build are for things like this.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

There are 128GB RAM supported motherboards but does he really need all of it?

Sounds like a 5820K with 2 980Ti configuration might be the way to go.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

10 minutes ago, trzasku said:

A friend of mine wants to upgrade his PC that he uses for work because it is to slow for him. He asks if it is possible to have

Does he need OpenCL or CUDA? because if I'm not mistaken AMD cards are better at compute.

and then does his workload take advantage of workstation card features? Is that the only software he's running?

What's his display set up? Is it already a full monitor tree? Because if not should grab some 4k displays as well, and 2 Nanos is crossfire is a pretty good 4k solution.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

He is not so good with computers and I am not sure if he know what he needs (OpenCL, CUDA) that is why I ask you. He only says that he need a lot of RAM. I can ask him a few questions if you want. He is also running a few other softwares at the same time but they are not so heavy.

To be specific we are talking about this software + PostgreSQL datebase

9 minutes ago, trzasku said:

He is not so good with computers and I am not sure if he know what he needs (OpenCL, CUDA) that is why I ask you. He only

I don't think the GPU is too important for that workload anyways, Dual Nanos are probably what you're going to want as they're the most power efficient high end GPU right now, and that way you don't need a massive PSU if you go this route, the board supports just an ungodly amount of RAM, like a lot, like 12 DDR4 slots per CPU

and you're probably going to want ECC memory if it's a RAM heavy workload to avoid errors/corruption

although this CPU won't be too great for gaming, and if you don't need GPUs in this rig, then just use the old PC for gaming and maybe just upgrade the GPU there and get a 4k display with it.

E2630 $629 8 core with hyper threading

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80644e52630v3

Dual 2011-3 Board $600

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128830

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Ignore the pcpartpicker message regarding motherboard / case incompatibility. The motherboard does, in fact fit in the case. The build can take a third gpu for even more graphic performance.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2643 V3 3.4GHz 6-Core OEM/Tray Processor  ($1439.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($114.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1 SSI CEB LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($493.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 128GB (8 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($799.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($297.49 @ Micro Center)
Storage: Samsung 850 PRO 2TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($824.49 @ Micro Center)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Classified ACX 2.0+ Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($650.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Classified ACX 2.0+ Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($650.99 @ B&H)
Case: Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q ATX Mid Tower Case  ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($221.01 @ Amazon)
Total: $5643.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-06 22:53 EST-0500

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Lol consumer grade...

48C Xeon's would be best for this

CPU: Xeon X5650 6C/12T @4.87Ghz GPU: R9 390 Strix RAM: 16Gb Kingston Fury 1866Mhz Mobo: Gigabyte EX58-UD3R Storage: Kingmax 240Gb SSD 3x 1TB's Case: Fractal Design Define XL with 480mm Radiators + 360mm Radiator PSU: Enermax Revo95+ 920W Speakers: Logitech Z-5500D THX Surround Sound System Headset: Audio-Technica ATH700X Audio: Creative SB ZxR Moniter: BenQ 27Inch 1920x1080 Keyboard: Microsoft Sidewinder X6 Mouse: Logitech G9x/Microsoft Basic Optical OS: Windows 10 Pro Insider