What should be the first thing to upgrade in my build?

Charix

I just built a computer (quite a few things I would change XD), however I was wondering, when the time comes, what should I upgrade first?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QdZMRB

(NOTE: The stuff I already had was the keyboard, monitor, and mouse. So don't think I am a COMPLETE idiot)

In my opinion the thing I should upgrade is the CPU. I do a lot of graphics in programs like Cinema 4D and my render times would benefit greatly from more cores.

Ooft, this is a hard one.

Personally, I'd look to replacing that PSU first, then upgrade the CPU and mobo.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Oh jeez, the CPU , GPU, and PSU need to be upgraded. The 960 is okay I suppose, but definitely the PSU and CPU. But you could've gotten a lot better of a GPU for the same cost just to let you know.

3 minutes ago, MTMaster said:

I just built a computer (quite a few things I would change XD), however I was wondering,

Get a better display, you could have done a lot better on that build btw, did you post it here at all? Can you still return it?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Just now, HKZeroFive said:

Ooft, this is a hard one.

Personally, I'd look to replacing that PSU first, then upgrade the CPU and mobo.

Allright. What's wrong with the current PSU? Is it not enough wattage, or is it just the CX is not the most effecient?

1 minute ago, byalexandr said:

Oh jeez, the CPU , GPU, and PSU need to be upgraded. The 960 is okay I suppose, but definitely the PSU and CPU. But you could've gotten a lot better of a GPU for the same cost just to let you know.

960 is fine for my needs atm. Can you tell me what's wrong with the PSU though? It had good reviews.

1 minute ago, MTMaster said:

Allright. What's wrong with the current PSU? Is it not enough wattage, or is it just the CX is not the most effecient?

The CX models have bad capacitors, they can deliver unstable voltage.

Also, they frequently suffer from coilwhine.

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but you dont know why. In this computer, theory and practice are combined: Nothing works and i dont know why.

Atleast i can manage Some things, like my current OC personal best.

Just now, MTMaster said:

It can power it but it's just that the quality and reliabilty of the CPU is pretty sub-par for a build like this.

I'd recommend a cheap 500W XFX or SeaSonic PSU.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

2 minutes ago, MTMaster said:

CX Is known for being terrible at power management and the 12v rails aren't really that solid.

Don't take my word for it though, google it and you will see quite a bit of debate.

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6700K 4.7GHz GPU: GTX 980 STRIX 1337MHz CPU Cooler: H110i GTX AIO |

Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR | Case: NZXT H440 White PSU: CS750W |

PCPartPicker Link: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/43BkVn 

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Get a better display, you could have done a lot better on that build btw, did you post it here at all? Can you still return it?

No I can't return it. And I did post here, but only one person replied and he told me to get a 200 dollor intel processor on a 500 budget. My budget was bumped up to 600 later, but I never bothered to make another post.

3 minutes ago, TeeTwo said:

The CX models have bad capacitors, they can deliver unstable voltage.

Also, they frequently suffer from coilwhine.

2 minutes ago, r1Ns3 said:

CX Is known for being terrible at power management and the 12v rails aren't really that solid.

Don't take my word for it though, google it and you will see quite a bit of debate.

Ahh ok. Good to know :)

1 minute ago, MTMaster said:

No I can't return it. And I did post here, but only one person replied and he told me to get a 200 dollor intel processor on a 500 budget. My budget was bumped up to 600 later, but I never bothered to make another post.

Well, that sucks anyways

I'd go for either a 1440p or just save up and get a 4k display for productivity, but that's just me

if you want a CPU upgrade you're going to want a Xeon 1231v3 + H97 board, that'll be around 300

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, MTMaster said:

I just built a computer (quite a few things I would change XD), however I was wondering, when the time comes, what should I upgrade first?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QdZMRB

(NOTE: The stuff I already had was the keyboard, monitor, and mouse. So don't think I am a COMPLETE idiot)

In my opinion the thing I should upgrade is the CPU. I do a lot of graphics in programs like Cinema 4D and my render times would benefit greatly from more cores.

I would say get a monitor, if you think 900p is okay then definitely work on a cpu upgrade. Something like an i5 or i7 would be a huge step up. After that, get a proper ssd. The v300 is a steaming pile of garbage. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Well, that sucks anyways

I'd go for either a 1440p or just save up and get a 4k display for productivity, but that's just me

if you want a CPU upgrade you're going to want a Xeon 1231v3 + H97 board, that'll be around 300

Honestly I think 1080p  would be good for me but that might change. And the cpu would be good too because it has 8 threads which will help me SO much in rendering.

Just now, MTMaster said:

Honestly I think 1080p  would be good for me but that might change. And the cpu would be good too because it has 8 threads which will help me SO much in rendering.

I mean more that you have a TN display, which will make your eyes bleed.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, SeanBond said:

I would say get a monitor, if you think 900p is okay then definitely work on a cpu upgrade. Something like an i5 or i7 would be a huge step up. After that, get a proper ssd. The v300 is a steaming pile of garbage. 

No I definantly want a monitor. I would want 6 or 8 threads for my graphics rendering, so I would probably want a core i7 instead of a core i5. What is wrong with the v300 though? It had amazing reviews. 

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

I mean more that you have a TN display, which will make your eyes bleed.

ok. So what should I get instead? I don't know too much about displays.

4 minutes ago, MTMaster said:

ok. So what should I get instead? I don't know too much about displays.

1440p IPS

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/acer-monitor-umkg7aa002

4k IPS free-sync, just happens to be a cheap 4k IPS display

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/lg-monitor-27mc67b

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, MTMaster said:

No I definantly want a monitor. I would want 6 or 8 threads for my graphics rendering, so I would probably want a core i7 instead of a core i5. What is wrong with the v300 though? It had amazing reviews. 

What amazon reviews? The v300 is terrible. I do believe it's the worst ssd by far currently on the market. They originally put out  a good competitive ssd and then changed what was under the hood to cheap garbage. It performs are roughly half the rated speed if not less and has a terrible life span. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Its kinda funny because I didn't know the power supply was really bad, but I kinda wanted a new one anyway because of the ugly ass 24 pin cable

WlXNSZP.jpg

4 minutes ago, SeanBond said:

What amazon reviews? The v300 is terrible. I do believe it's the worst ssd by far currently on the market. They originally put out  a good competitive ssd and then changed what was under the hood to cheap garbage. It performs are roughly half the rated speed if not less and has a terrible life span. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820721107

Look at the reviews, almost all positive.

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-SSDNow-SV300S37A-120G/dp/B00A1ZTZOG

Look at the reviews, almost all positive.

11 minutes ago, MTMaster said:

Ok, and what would be a decent 1080p one? Even though I probably would get a 1440p anyway.

Whatever is cheap, decently reviewed, and has IPS, unless you want 144hz in which case you're stuck on TN, this maintains free-sync, not that you can use free-sync right now anyways, but it generally doesn't cost more to get one with free-sync capabilities.

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/aoc-monitor-g2460pf

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, MTMaster said:

You poor soul. You think amazon and newegg reviews are good indication of how good tech is. 

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7763/an-update-to-kingston-ssdnow-v300-a-switch-to-slower-micron-nand

It wasn't a fast ssd to begin with. It's much slower after the first batch, and it's been that way a long time. 

Ok. Thanks for the help. Let me make sure: PSU, then new CPU/ MOBO