How to improve Internet Connection |NEED HELP|

Guys can you please help me out! How can I improve my internet speed, this is my package from EE 38 Mbps for around £25 but this is what I am actually getting

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5061810488  - This is from PC that is connected through Ethernet cable.

Today I have brought Netgear switch SG608v4 to check if my internet would improve but for some reason when I connected router, console and pc to the switch I had no internet at all. Don't know why. Is it because I have to have modem or Netger router? Also is there any difference with the thickness of the Ethernet cable? because I have two one is about 3-4mm thick and other is around 10mm thick? 

Have you guys have any suggestions??

6 minutes ago, B4rt997 said:

Guys can you please help me out! How can I improve my internet speed, this is my package from EE 38 Mbps for around £25 but this is what I am actually getting

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5061810488  - This is from PC that is connected through Ethernet cable.

Today I have brought Netgear switch SG608v4 to check if my internet would improve but for some reason when I connected router, console and pc to the switch I had no internet at all. Don't know why. Is it because I have to have modem or Netger router? Also is there any difference with the thickness of the Ethernet cable? because I have two one is about 3-4mm thick and other is around 10mm thick? 

Have you guys have any suggestions??

If your wired then it is probably your modem I'd look for one on the Internet rated for speeds even higher than your current one (for upgrading) Mabey about 100mbps

I have an Anet A8 as my project printer and a i3 MK3 for when I want things to work. 

I extrude my own filament and haven't saved a penny yet.

My PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 8700k

Motherboard: MSI Z370-A Pro

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V (2x8GB) DDR4-3200

GPU: GTX 1070 Founders Edition (OC'd)

Storage: 2x 2TB Seagate 5400RPM, 128GB ADATA SSD

Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 750w  B2

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15. 3 Intake Fans, 2 Outtake

Case: Fractal Design Define R6

2 minutes ago, VoyexTech said:

If your wired then it is probably your modem

But I don't have modem I have just a router from EE bright box 2

You must have a modem in order to connect to the internet (at least, for typical consumer networks). If you just have the router, with no modem (or no built in modem), then you will not be able to connect to the internet. 

A switch would not improve the network speed outside of LAN applications. If anything, the issue would be with the router, but it's unlikely. 

Your plan is Up to 38Mbps. All broadband connection packages are advertised this way, it is not a guarantee of the speeds you will actually be getting, it is just the maximum theoretical bandwidth available (either artificially capped by the ISP, or physical maximum). Actual speeds vary, depending on how far you are from the exchange, cable box, the quality of the cable, how many people are using the same box and so on. 

1 minute ago, B4rt997 said:

OK well then you might need to upgrade to a better router. 

Also when you run the tests do you notice higher speeds closer to the 38 in the beginning then notice dropping off?

I have an Anet A8 as my project printer and a i3 MK3 for when I want things to work. 

My PC:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, B4rt997 said:

The EE Bright Box 2 is a modem/router combo unit. While it's not great for anything other than stock settings on most consumer connections, it is also not so bad that it will limit the connection that much. 

I used the Bright Box 2 briefly on a 40Mbps line and it coped with those speeds just fine. 

connect the pc directly to the modem and see what kinda speeds you get

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

1 minute ago, techguru said:

connect the pc directly to the modem and see what kinda speeds you get

That speed is through a PC connected directly (to the modem/router combo):

21 minutes ago, B4rt997 said:

This is from PC that is connected through Ethernet cable.

12 minutes ago, VoyexTech said:

OK well then you might need to upgrade to a better router. 

Also when you run the tests do you notice higher speeds closer to the 38 in the beginning then notice dropping off?

No it doesn't go further than 20mbps it reaches around 15mbps and jumps up and down.

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

That speed is through a PC connected directly (to the modem/router combo):

no hes using a router and switch and crap...

1 minute ago, B4rt997 said:

No it doesn't go further than 20mbps it reaches around 15mbps and jumps up and down.

OK well if you ever are up check the traffic at around 1-3 o'clock (that is when the least traffic is) if you are still getting these speeds then the issue is the isp. It is most likely too much traffic

My PC:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, techguru said:

no hes using a router and switch and crap...

When he used the switch, he doesn't get a connection to the internet, so it can't be through that. 

He has to connect to the router, as the modem and router (EE Bright Box 2) are one unit. 

EDIT: He also said that he bought the switch to check if it improved the connection. If connecting to the router/modem directly solved it, he wouldn't have got the switch.

16 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

A switch would not improve the network speed outside of LAN applications. If anything, the issue would be with the router, but it's unlikely. 

Before starting this topic I have contacted Netgerar about why the switch isn't working, when they reply back I see what I could do and if nothing changes I just send it back

Just now, B4rt997 said:

Before starting this topic I have contacted Netgerar about why the switch isn't working, when they reply back I see what I could do and if nothing changes I just send it back

you need to first figure out if its the isp or the modem

so hook the pc directly up to the modem..and do a test

and make sure no one else is using the internet at the time

1 minute ago, VoyexTech said:

OK well if you ever are up check the traffic at around 1-3 o'clock (that is when the least traffic is) if you are still getting these speeds then the issue is the isp. It is most likely too much traffic

Bear in mind the connection is "up to" 38Mbps. It doesn't mean he will get 38Mbps. I used to have a up to 38Mbps connection from EE where I used to live, but the actual speeds were around 17Mbps, dropping a bit during peak hours. 

Bear in mind the connection is "up to" 38Mbps. It doesn't mean he will get 38Mbps. I used to have a up to 38Mbps connection from EE where I used to live, but the actual speeds were around 17Mbps, dropping a bit during peak hours. 

I know my isp said up 60mbps and I got 20-30 but they fixed it and I now get 50mbps at peak and 50mbps at 1-3 o'clock

My PC:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, techguru said:

you need to first figure out if its the isp or the modem

so hook the pc directly up to the modem..and do a test

and make sure no one else is using the internet at the time

Its says in the first post that I done the test on my PC connected to the modem/router and that what I get

done again the speedtest no definitely no one part from me using internet

this is the result  - http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5061891139

Just now, B4rt997 said:

Its says in the first post that I done the test on my PC connected to the modem/router and that what I get

done again the speedtest no definitely no one part from me using internet

this is the result  - http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5061891139

then its your isp or modem...more then likely the isp

1 minute ago, VoyexTech said:

I know my isp said up 60mbps and I got 20-30 but they fixed it and I now get 50mbps at peak and 50mbps at 1-3 o'clock

Depending on the reasons for the slower speeds, it's not always something that can just be "fixed" by the ISP. If they are throttling you, then it's just a matter of them taking off the caps. However, speed is also determined by how long the cable is from the property to the cable box, the quality of said cable, the distance from the box to the exchange and various other, physical factors. 

Just had a check on the png image on the speed test and its says its "Slower than 64% of GB" and its a grade D+ i dont even know what it is

5061891139.png

@B4rt997 My suggestion would be to contact EE (assuming they're your ISP, considering you have a BB2) and see if they can "fix" it for you. ISPs are notorious for not being very consumer friendly, so if there's an issue, or your speed is being throttled, they likely won't do anything unless you bring it up. 

There is a slight chance you have a defective router/modem, or there's a software issue. You could try updating the firmware on the Bright Box 2 (BB2), or you could ask EE to arrange for a replacement, as you don't think you're getting the correct speeds. The bright box 2 itself is not the issue unless it is defective. I've personally used them on faster networks just fine. I seriously doubt it's an issue with the BB2, but you could try get a new one, just in case. 

My bet is that your speeds are correct, and that it's just a physical limitation from one of the factors I have mentioned in previous posts. I had the same "issue" where I used to live, where the cabling was old and I was pretty much the furthest away from the cable box. Where I live now, I'm much closer to the cable box and the cable is newer. I'm on the same data plan as before, but now I cap out at 38Mbps (limited by my data plan, rather than physical factors). The line itself is capable of around 73Mbps. 

3 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

@B4rt997 My suggestion would be to contact EE (assuming they're your ISP, considering you have a BB2) and see if they can "fix" it for you. ISPs are notorious for not being very consumer friendly, so if there's an issue, or your speed is being throttled, they likely won't do anything unless you bring it up. 

There is a slight chance you have a defective router/modem, or there's a software issue. You could try updating the firmware on the Bright Box 2 (BB2), or you could ask EE to arrange for a replacement, as you don't think you're getting the correct speeds. The bright box 2 itself is not the issue unless it is defective. I've personally used them on faster networks just fine. I seriously doubt it's an issue with the BB2, but you could try get a new one, just in case. 

My bet is that your speeds are correct, and that it's just a physical limitation from one of the factors I have mentioned in previous posts. I had the same "issue" where I used to live, where the cabling was old and I was pretty much the furthest away from the cable box. Where I live now, I'm much closer to the cable box and the cable is newer. I'm on the same data plan as before, but now I cap out at 38Mbps (limited by my data plan, rather than physical factors). The line itself is capable of around 73Mbps. 

Okay, thanks Oshino for your help. So, it seems like I will have to contact EE tomorrow and send the switch back. 

@Oshino Shinobu

After speaking roughly for about 3 hours and running multiple of times the speed test they said that in my area the maximum download speed that I can get is 16Mbps which is what I roughly get. Now I lowered my package from Fiber to normal broadband and I guess need to move out from the area where I live now for better gaming. :(

Thanks again for your help. :D 

9 minutes ago, B4rt997 said:

@Oshino Shinobu

After speaking roughly for about 3 hours and running multiple of times the speed test they said that in my area the maximum download speed that I can get is 16Mbps which is what I roughly get. Now I lowered my package from Fiber to normal broadband and I guess need to move out from the area where I live now for better gaming. :(

Thanks again for your help. :D 

Yep, that's what I thought it would be. Don't you love ISPs, with their "up to" speeds. 

No problem. Maybe actual fibre speeds will come to your area at some point. 

Yep, that's what I thought it would be. Don't you love ISPs, with their "up to" speeds. 

No problem. Maybe actual fibre speeds will come to your area at some point. 

Hehe I don't think so