will more ram increase igpu performance significantly ?

samiur

hello to all :)

i have a laptop Acer travelmate p243-m it is equipped with a i5 2450m cpu and has 4 gb 1333 mhz stock ram and 500 gb WD hdd , i watch movies , TV series and a huge web browsing with chrome and sometimes portable gaming cuz i run heavy games on my gaming desktop , the problem is sometimes i experience lag and hiccups during games and web browsing , so i am opting to upgrade ram to 8 gb ddr3 1333 as its standard ddr3 not L type and running it on dual channel , will such upgrade to some extent be fruitful or might i see noticeable improvement to games and web browsing , and one thing is it wise to go for 8 gb or just another 4 gigs in lieu of 8gigs will be ample ? expert opinion required :) peace out

Won't improve it much, if at all. Might lessen CPU and disk usage (less loading of resources / pulling from SWAP), but that's about it. Browsing the web (assuming you're usually Chrome or Firefox) will have to write to pagefile less so it may be more responsive. As for actually making the PC more responsive in general... SSD.

you'll benefit from higher clockspeeds while using igpu but much more ram wont help

try getting an ssd for your laptop that would improve your dayli "life" with the pc, shorten boot times etc

@Lays and some others did research/tests on some games while comparing the importance of RAM/CPU/GPU clockspeeds

you wouldnt expect what they had as results                   ramspeed is still a thing ;)

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

there was an article i read on the iGPU performance of the R7 chips in the A10 APUs and yes. Faster RAM DOES make a large difference up until 1866, then you have drastically diminishing returns. 

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/memory-bandwidth-scaling-trinity,3419-2.html

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/AMD-A10-7850K-Performance-Review-529/

Project Hephaestus

Intel Core i5 6600K @ 4.2GHz~ASUS Maximus 9 Hero~32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz~ZOTAC GTX 980 AMP Ed.

Higher RAM clocks and dual channel seems to help integrated GPUs quite a bit 

HP Pavilion p007tx (i5 4210u, gt840m, 8GB DDR3 memory and a 1 TB HDD that makes cool sounds when booting up) 

Since my laptop can't run modern games too well I use a PS4

As you currently use 4 GB. Jumping to 8 GB will be massive improvement in terms of web browsing and the such. In terms of gaming, unless the game requires more VRAM than what the iGPU can get, there won't be improvement increasing RAM amount. Although from 4 to 8, I suspect you will get a game performance improvement.

Going from single channel to dual channel RAM will improve iGPU performance. So I recommend having two sticks of 4GB ram in your laptop rather than a single 8GB stick.

Higher RAM speed helps a lot in iGPU performance, but you'll have to make sure the motherboard in your laptop can support higher RAM speed. I suspect it won't. That's fine, going from 4GB single channel to 8 GB dual channel should already be a significant improvement.

Good luck!