[Build Log] Passively Cooled 400W/300W TDP System Under 100$

iamdarkyoshi
2 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I have already tried that attaching a heatsink to the outside of my 3D printer's PSU, didnt hold

Superglue has a high thermal limit and works wonders, try that just dont expect to remove anything in the future or if you mess up, I used it for a fan on an old firepro card and still holds to this day :)

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

1 minute ago, iHardware Shelden said:

Superglue has a high thermal limit and works wonders, try that just dont expect to remove anything in the future or if you mess up, I used it for a fan on an old firepro card and still holds to this day :)

THE FUMES MY EYESSSSSS

10 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

THE FUMES MY EYESSSSSS

Gorilla Super Glue works well in temperatures as high as 200°–220°F. However, too much exposure to extreme heat will cause the strength of the bond to be compromised. Likewise, too much exposure to water, especially warm water, can compromise the strength of the bond.

I don't think you need to worry about that ;) 

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

I was talking about the fumes it makes when first dispensed from the thingy

Ohhhh ok, yea I don't think you want fumes coming out of the computer while your using it :D 

Just now, iHardware Shelden said:

Ohhhh ok, yea I don't think you want fumes coming out of the computer while your using it :D 

they'd probably be safer than whatever fumes were coming off the glue :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

they'd probably be safer than whatever fumes were coming off the glue :P

"Student gets high from a custom computer mom tells investigators" I can see it now :P 

2 minutes ago, iHardware Shelden said:

"Student gets high from a custom computer mom tells investigators" I can see it now :P 

Yup, "learns how to buy drugs from online thugs, builds death machine, dies of fumes"... they'll be shutting down the internet and banning custom hardware any day now... :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yup, "learns how to buy drugs from online thugs, builds death machine, dies of fumes"... they'll be shutting down the internet and banning custom hardware any day now... :P

That will be the day I end my life if that is the case :P

No but in all reality super glue seems like your best bet :)

3 minutes ago, iHardware Shelden said:

No but in all reality super glue seems like your best bet :)

Would it?  You'd be limited to just putting it around the edge, right?  And is/are the surfaces involved good for super glue?  Some surfaces it works wonders and others it will just totally ignore...

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Would it?  You'd be limited to just putting it around the edge, right?  And is/are the surfaces involved good for super glue?  Some surfaces it works wonders and others it will just totally ignore...

I've had good luck with it on aluminum and steel but who knows, I think those heatsinks should hold fine with it other than that I can't think of anything unless thermal tape exist? 

UPDATE: If all goes to plan, I will use an r9 nano instead of the 390x because 100W less power is always a good thing.

Well, looks like I have some selling to do! See signature for details. Thanks m8s

I want a GTX 590 in this build

1 minute ago, iHardware Shelden said:

I want a GTX 590 in this build

and a 9590

ummno

Yes 

158c.jpg

+

370fan.jpg

=

Keep-Creosote-From-Ruining-Your-Fire-Chi

9 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

nonononononononononono

no. A 3930k spews out enough heat

I don't know... you've got an aweful lot of heatsinks :P

Not enough to be happy. You can never have enough heatsinks.

especially when you're trying to passively cool a 9590 and two 590s in sli :D 

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

especially when you're trying to passively cool a 9590 and two 590s in sli :D 

Yah, I am having issues of my own xD

I found basically an unlimited supply of 3/4in 12x6in aluminum slabs, but they have various CNC things cut into them. This is basically the only source I have found. As for the heatpipes, I am NOT going to continue trying to remove them from the heatsinks I have, it is just to damn difficult. @Stefan1024 I have two plates of aluminum, should I just put a medium sized slab of copper over it to try to spread the heat?

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Yah, I am having issues of my own xD

I found basically an unlimited supply of 3/4in 12x6in aluminum slabs, but they have various CNC things cut into them. This is basically the only source I have found. As for the heatpipes, I am NOT going to continue trying to remove them from the heatsinks I have, it is just to damn difficult. @Stefan1024 I have two plates of aluminum, should I just put a medium sized slab of copper over it to try to spread the heat?

How far through are the CNC things cut?  If they could be planed down to leave a smooth sheet, that would solve that, and it wouldn't be so thick (I feel like 3/4" is probably excessive)

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

How far through are the CNC things cut?  If they could be planed down to leave a smooth sheet, that would solve that, and it wouldn't be so thick (I feel like 3/4" is probably excessive)

They are just basically free scraps, and they probably are 3/4 of the way through the metal. I have some aluminum I can jam into the slots to try to make them as solid as possible again, shouldnt be too far off

They are just basically free scraps, and they probably are 3/4 of the way through the metal. 

That would probably still be fine, wouldn't it?

As for:

I have some aluminum I can jam into the slots to try to make them as solid as possible again, shouldnt be too far off

I can't imagine that would work very well... there's a reason we use thermal paste to fill up invisible cracks and dents, never mind just stuffing random metal into a hole :D