CPU socket types

Hello, i would like to ask you guy how do you know which socet type on motherboard (Z170,X99,H110) is best for what like gaming, editing, streaming

1 minute ago, Gentlekatt said:

Hello, i would like to ask you guy how do you know which socet type on motherboard (Z170,X99,H110) is best for what like gaming, editing, streaming

Based on performance, available CPUs (ofcourse concerning their performance) and usually also budget.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

Just now, GER_T4IGA said:

Based on performancec available CPUs and usually also budget.

what do you mean does it say on cpu which socket is best or what?

X99 if you want all three (gaming, editing, streaming)

z170 if you don't care too much for editing

h110 is best for nothing

X chipsets are "extreme" for enthusiasts (more options, top performance for professionals, etc)

Z chipsets are mainstream (gaming, daily home computer use)

H chipsets are like budget (I think?)

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Just now, TidaLWaveZ said:

X99 if you want all three (gaming, editing, streaming)

z170 if you don't care too much for editing

h110 is best for nothing

yeah but iwant to know how do you determine which is best for what

yeah but iwant to know how do you determine which is best for what

Cost, core count "available" and performance. Liek I said above ...

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

1 minute ago, GER_T4IGA said:

Cost, core count "available" and performance. Liek I said above ...

i picked I7-6700 and Z170 motherboard will i be fine?

i picked I7-6700 and Z170 motherboard will i be fine?

Yes, but it will not perform as good as an X99 for editing.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

1 minute ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

ok i want to know how you know this does it say like that somewhere or you just know it somehow?

Well the socket is seperate from the Chipset. So the socket being 2011-v3, 115x, etc and the chipset being the H170, Z170, X99, b170, The socket is what CPU will go with that motherboard. They have to be the same. Example 1151 skylake CPU goes with 1151 motherboard.  The biggest difference between the Z and H that I know of are Overclocking and you must have the 'k' series chipset to overclock with. But there are a bunch of other things that goes into the chipset like how the CPU gathers its information and carries it from the CPU or what not. I would just figure out what you are going for in a computer and then build with what makes sense. The chipset seems like a lot of technical data on how the actual components work in unison together.

14 minutes ago, Gentlekatt said:

ok i want to know how you know this does it say like that somewhere or you just know it somehow?

No, the cpu doesn't come labelled with "this CPU is good for video editting, multitasking, web browsing, ect...", anymore than your TV comes labelled with "this TV is good for watching nature documentarys, comedies, weather reports, ect... " You have to look at the specs for each individual cpu, know how they affect performance, and then make a decision. Consulting reviews made by others who have bought and used it helps as well.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

8 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

16 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

i want just gaming

18 minutes ago, Gentlekatt said:

Cores, clockspeed, price and per core performance. Also, just don't get AMD CPUs.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

The X99 is an enthusiast/professional platform. The cpu's have more PCIe lanes for PCIe components(GPU's, PCIe Storage(PCIe SSDs, M.2, etc) and double the DIMM slots for memory.

The z170 is a mainstream platform, it is made to get the normal consumers (non enthusiasts/non professionals) good performance at a low price(less PCIe lanes from CPUs, less DIMM slots)

z170 will give you the best price/performance for games (z170 vs X99)

X99 will give you the best performance and options overall (5960X) but will be drastically more expensive. 

The X99 is an enthusiast/professional platform. The cpu's have more PCIe lanes for PCIe components(GPU's, PCIe Storage(PCIe SSDs, M.2, etc) and double the DIMM slots for memory.

The z170 is a mainstream platform, it is made to get the normal consumers (non enthusiasts/non professionals) good performance at a low price(less PCIe lanes from CPUs, less DIMM slots)

z170 will give you the best price/performance for games (z170 vs X99)

X99 will give you the best performance and options overall (5960X) but will be drastically more expensive. 

actualy x99 doenst exist on new skylake :\

No spit.

SKYLAKE = z170

HASWELL-E = X99

All the chipset offers is features. Performance is not altered by the motherboard. Performance is based on which CPU you choose.

CPU vendors typically tell you what socket the chip is for, then you just pick a motherboard with the chipset and features you want.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

1 minute ago, FruitBasketSilex said:

All the chipset offers is features. Performance is not altered by the motherboard. Performance is based on which CPU you choose.

CPU vendors typically tell you what socket the chip is for, then you just pick a motherboard with the chipset and features you want.

can you give me example

Just now, Gentlekatt said:

can you give me example

Z97/87/170 offers SLI.

H/B/Q series chipsets do not.

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

Just now, FruitBasketSilex said:

Z97/87/170 offers SLI.

H/B/Q series chipsets do not.

only z170 offers overclocking others don't 

Just now, Gentlekatt said:

only z170 offers overclocking others don't 

All Z and X series boards offer overclocking.

H series do in some special cases, like the G3258 on the 1150 socket. (B85, h81, h87, h97)

Spoiler

1 minute ago, FruitBasketSilex said:

I would say that this is correct for all mobos of the same chipset, but different chipsets have to cater to different CPU's so a Motherboard with a superior socket will offer better performance.

I would say that this is correct for all mobos of the same chipset, but different chipsets have to cater to different CPU's so a Motherboard with a superior socket will offer better performance.

No.

You get a 4790k on a B75 board at 4.0ghz, 4.4 boost, its going to offer the same performance as a 4790k on a Z97 board at 4.0 ghz, 4.4ghz boost.

Spoiler