Worth?

2600k, sketchy used motherboard w/ no I/O shield, 32GB RAM, and a 660, and a case that has really nice i/o but it's just annoying because the airflow is really shitty and the cable management is non-existent.

I don't really think I like my processor. Sure, it's an unlocked i7. But it's pretty old now and takes up a lot more power than a more modern chip.

I stream occasionally and it's almost always fast-paced games, so it's nice to have enough CPU power to keep those games at high enough FPS while not making my stream looking like a powerpoint. I don't stream seriously at all, but when I do I'd like to keep it high quality. I'm not looking to stream Triple A games ever. Besides the streaming, I play light games that any CPU could take. The only "heavy" game I play would be Rainbow Six Siege, but I'm fine with not cranking settings to the max. I play at 1080p and for now I guess I'm happy with my frames. I get around 50fps with medium settings on the game. The thing is, I can OC my CPU pretty high. But no matter what speed I have, an OC always makes things crash. Programs will run fine for the most part but if I try to render or a video or stream for more than an hour, things just die. It's annoying I guess.

I turn 16 in 10 days and I never really got anything much for my birthday but it's my 16th so I'm counting on this. This is my chance to make a worthwhile upgrade. But I have a budget, and I need to know what's best for my needs. I currently have a 750W PSU if that matters. I'm thinking of getting a 4460 and a corresponding motherboard. But I feel like there's some sort of option out there that would suit me better. I'd rather not spend a lot. There's no specific budget that I can say but around the 4460+Motherboard range would be great. I also need a new case but those go for like $50 so I think I can get one of those easily. I'd rather keep it Haswell if we're going the Intel route because this 32GB of RAM is gonna be with me for a while.

What do? What CPU/Mobo and case for around $300? Is it even worth upgrading from a 2600k to a newer i5? Probably not in terms of power, but I'm looking to just have things run cool and quiet now. I don't care much for OC'ing this janky Sandy chip anymore. I'm sorry if I put a lot of unnecessary info or if I was really vague, but I just kinda wanna unload everything I have on my mind right now because a lot is going into this decision. Also I have a headache so words are getting hard for me.

Edit: Also I'm not leaning towards the 4460 that much because dat 3.2Ghz for streaming:/

CPU: i7 2600k @4.2GHz GPU: GTX 660 Power Supply: EVGA SupernovaNEX 750W 80+ Bronze RAM: 32GB G. Skill Ripjaws X

2600k is still better than an i5 for gaming+streaming at the same time

$300 is a really low budget

buy a case right now and save up for an i7 in the future

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Case- NZXT S340? A little over $50 but I like any of NZXT's

I would keep your CPU

Intel i7 6700K | MSI Krait Z170A MSI GTX 980 w/ NZXT Kraken G10/x31 Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD/WD Blue 1TB HDD NZXT H440 | K70 RGB/SteelSeries Rival

definitely worth upgrading to haswell. very worth it. as for motherboards, the  MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard is a relatively good board with good quality from msi, it is micro atx which will fit into nearly every case, and at 50$ its a steal

when it come to cases you have more flexibility. what are you looking for in a case? looks? color? form factor? gimme something to bite on and ill help ya out bud.

Just now, Enderman said:

2600k is still better than an i5 for gaming+streaming at the same time

$300 is a really low budget

buy a case right now and save up for an i7 in the future

Saving up for buying something like an i7 later is one of the most impractical things for me. I have to emphasize how casual my streaming habits are. Would a 4460 or a 4590 be a significant downgrade? 

CPU: i7 2600k @4.2GHz GPU: GTX 660 Power Supply: EVGA SupernovaNEX 750W 80+ Bronze RAM: 32GB G. Skill Ripjaws X

honestly, I don't think its worth it at this point, if you want an upgrade, go for like a 970 or an r9 390 for that budget or even consider something like a new monitor or something, a decent monitor will last you quie a few years past a new CPU or GPU, for a new case though, I reccommend a corsair SPEC-01, 02 or 03, I have an 03 that I got at black friday and I really like it.

Just now, Random32 said:

Saving up for buying something like an i7 later is one of the most impractical things for me. I have to emphasize how casual my streaming habits are. Would a 4460 or a 4590 be a significant downgrade? 

yeah

core performance would be better but multithread performance wouldnt

and when multitasking like streaming+gaming you want 8 threads over 4

you could also upgrade to a cheap i5 now, so you already get the new motherboard, and save up some money + sell the 2600k and you should have enough to buy an i7 in the near future
that way you will already have the motherboard and just need to pick up and swap CPU

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Jordaneer said:

honestly, I don't think its worth it at this point, if you want an upgrade, go for like a 970 or an r9 390 for that budget, for a new case though, I reccommend a corsair SPEC-01, 02 or 03, I have an 03 that I got at black friday and I really like it.

Well I'm not looking to upgrade graphics

5 minutes ago, verydogesuchwow said:

Case- NZXT S340? A little over $50 but I like any of NZXT's

I would keep your CPU

Shit dude that thing is $100 on Newegg lmao 

other cases that look like it? I like the look

Just now, Random32 said:

Shit dude that thing is $100 on Newegg lmao 

other cases that look like it? I like the look

$78 for me... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146189&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Cases+%28Computer+Cases+-+ATX+Form%29-_-N82E16811146189&gclid=CjwKEAiA58a1BRDw6Jan_PLapw8SJABJz-ZW_8dVE7GvKmmHzXC71nVhDZJmYenU-jO-z1ZtAUH7rhoClt3w_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'm in the US though.. not sure

I'll try to search around for a look alike.. you could always mod one too to fit your needs (plastidip is a non permanent solution)

Intel i7 6700K | MSI Krait Z170A MSI GTX 980 w/ NZXT Kraken G10/x31 Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD/WD Blue 1TB HDD NZXT H440 | K70 RGB/SteelSeries Rival

4 minutes ago, Random32 said:

1 minute ago, Random32 said:

Well I'm not looking to upgrade graphics

i really think that you need to at least get a new mobo. from what it sounds like, it cant handle the oc youre throwing its way, which means its on its last legs, either that or your cpu or psu is bugging out. 

2 minutes ago, Bigheart said:

i really think that you need to at least get a new mobo. from what it sounds like, it cant handle the oc youre throwing its way, which means its on its last legs, either that or your cpu or psu is bugging out. 

Yeah but any mobos that I get for this chip are used and old. I've gone through 3 and this is the only one that didn't have a dead RAM slot but the OC is wonky and there's no I/O shield which bugs me so much it's not even funny lmao

I cringe at the thought of flies and spiders going through that open gap and into my case and dying inside my GPU or something

Just now, Random32 said:

Yeah but any mobos that I get for this chip are used and old. I've gone through 3 and this is the only one that didn't have a dead RAM slot but the OC is wonky and there's no I/O shield which bugs me so much it's not even funny lmao

I cringe at the thought of flies and spiders going through that open gap and into my case and dying inside my GPU or something

hmmm, perhaps then you should try an amd 

by AMD/
if ya cant get in more threads, get in more cores. it does get hot, but the am3 boards are pretty cheap and the cpu is around 100 bucks

1 minute ago, Bigheart said:

hmmm, perhaps then you should try an amd 

by AMD/
if ya cant get in more threads, get in more cores. it does get hot, but the am3 boards are pretty cheap and the cpu is around 100 bucks

a 6300 is quite a downgrade from an i7, even one that is 5 years old, and this is coming from someone with an FX 6300

3 minutes ago, Jordaneer said:

a 6300 is quite a downgrade from an i7, even one that is 5 years old, and this is coming from someone with an FX 6300

you are correct, but it is better than an i5 for multitasking. he definitely needs a new cpu though. 

1 minute ago, Bigheart said:

you are correct, but it is better than an i5 for multitasking. he definitely needs a new cpu though. 

I was actually considering an AMD chip but RIP the core performance

yeah, i mean from the 2600k to the 6300 it really isnt that much of a difference, but at least people are still making stuff for am3, and it has six cores for pretty cheap.

21 minutes ago, Bigheart said:

yeah, i mean from the 2600k to the 6300 it really isnt that much of a difference, but at least people are still making stuff for am3, and it has six cores for pretty cheap.

You probably need a better GPU. The 660 is pretty old 

Nobody is making anymore for the AM3+. Its a dead socket. Everything on that chip line is utter garbage in single core performance and IPC unless your video editing or need to stream. But for the most part if you do want a big core CPU from AM3+ the E series is fine. Because going up the ladder doesn't give any higher performance only more cores and more power draws. 

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

15 minutes ago, Ramamataz said:

You probably need a better GPU. The 660 is pretty old 

Nobody is making anymore for the AM3+. Its a dead socket. Everything on that chip line is utter garbage in single core performance and IPC unless your video editing or need to stream. But for the most part if you do want a big core CPU from AM3+ the E series is fine. Because going up the ladder doesn't give any higher performance only more cores and more power draws. 

Nah beacuse to be honest, besides for Rainbow Six Siege, the other games I play could honestly probably run fine on integrated. I don't really want to upgrade my graphics for the sake of 1 game. Plus I dont' see myself staying with it long-term like with my other games.

A little over $300, but will give you similar performance to what you have now:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/whMN3C

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

Just now, Stardar1 said:

A little over $300, but will give you similar performance to what you have now:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/whMN3C

"A little over $300"
it's $20 away from 400 lol

but I supposed a 123v1 could work... doesn't streaming require higher clockspeed though? Is the performance like that of a modern i5/i7 w/o the OC option?

1 minute ago, Random32 said:

"A little over $300"
it's $20 away from 400 lol

but I supposed a 123v1 could work... doesn't streaming require higher clockspeed though? Is the performance like that of a modern i5/i7 w/o the OC option?

It is $368 on my list (I have MIR turned off)

The 123v1 is similar to an I7 but no integrated GPU or OC. 

You could go for a cheaper motherboard, but given how you wanted to get a more stable system i figured the better mobo would be appreciated. 

The other option is an I5

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

6 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

It is $368 on my list (I have MIR turned off)

The 123v1 is similar to an I7 but no integrated GPU or OC. 

You could go for a cheaper motherboard, but given how you wanted to get a more stable system i figured the better mobo would be appreciated. 

The other option is an I5

Would a 123v1 be sufficient for what I would want to do? casual streaming, i mean

edit: actually I think I'd prefer an i5 but there's no locked i5 that's over 3.4Ghz~ ish. I don't know if I should still go for it because I know that having higher clock speed is nice for streaming and I just want it to look nice when I do stream so

edit2: also yeah 4460 is 3.2ghz and the 4590 is 3.2

how is the 4590 compared to the 4460? Is it even worth getting it? or if I'm gonna get the locked i5 should I just go with 4460?