Sound Coming From PC

pckid

There is a sound coming from the inside of my pc and it sounds like a grinding noise. I think it is coming from my hard drive.

2 minutes ago, pckid said:

There is a sound coming from the inside of my pc and it sounds like a grinding noise. I think it is coming from my hard drive.

Usually a chirping (or grinding maybe) sound from your HDD means your HDD is going bad.

I suggest that you backup your data.

I believe there's a software out there to check your drive's health. I think it's called SMART or something like that.

CPU: Intel i5-4590 | Motherboard: Asus H97M-E | GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 390 | RAM: 2x4Gb Kingston HyperX Fury Black | SSD: Sandisk Plus 240Gb HDD: Seagate 250Gb  | PSU: Seasonic G650 80+ Gold | Case: NZXT S340

I am who I am.

Open your case and listen around the case and determine where it is coming from (VERY IMPORTANT). You could try to touch the hard drive and see if it is vibrating significantly (All HDD's vibrate a bit, so a small amount is okay). If it does indeed seem to be coming from the HDD, i'd backup your data ASAP.

If it's a Seagate HDD you can use http://www.seagate.com/ca/en/support/downloads/seatools/ to scan the drive to see if it has bad health. For other brands you can use http://www.passmark.com/products/diskcheckup.htm

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

Just now, Ddave said:

Usually a chirping (or grinding maybe) sound from your HDD means your HDD is going bad.

I suggest that you backup your data.

I believe there's a software out there to check your drive's health. I think it's called SMART or something like that.

Smart said I had a problem with my hard drive over a year ago and now that hard drive is 6 years old so I think it is time to upgrade to an ssd anyways.

3 minutes ago, pckid said:

Smart said I had a problem with my hard drive over a year ago and now that hard drive is 6 years old so I think it is time to upgrade to an ssd anyways.

If you have the budget then go. It will be a great upgrade. :)

CPU: Intel i5-4590 | Motherboard: Asus H97M-E | GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 390 | RAM: 2x4Gb Kingston HyperX Fury Black | SSD: Sandisk Plus 240Gb HDD: Seagate 250Gb  | PSU: Seasonic G650 80+ Gold | Case: NZXT S340

I am who I am.

5 minutes ago, Ddave said:

If you have the budget then go. It will be a great upgrade. :)

I probably will

10 minutes ago, ChronicGenocide said:

Open your case and listen around the case and determine where it is coming from (VERY IMPORTANT). You could try to touch the hard drive and see if it is vibrating significantly (All HDD's vibrate a bit, so a small amount is okay). If it does indeed seem to be coming from the HDD, i'd backup your data ASAP.

If it's a Seagate HDD you can use http://www.seagate.com/ca/en/support/downloads/seatools/ to scan the drive to see if it has bad health. For other brands you can use http://www.passmark.com/products/diskcheckup.htm

My first hard drive that is older is vibrating a bit more than my newer hard drive and it was making a grinding sound.

Just now, pckid said:

I probably will

My first hard drive that is older is vibrating a bit more than my newer hard drive and it was making a grinding sound.

If you have the space transfer the data from the old hdd to the new one.

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale