R9 380 Not displaying (but posting, somewhat) anymore to old monitor

Go to solution Solved by nikolaizombie1,
2 minutes ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

it has just two ports ?!!

uhu and it just posted if i used the dvi dual link on the video card going into the monitor, before it would refuse to post with dvi dual link but now it works

Hello LTT Community,

I've recently have encountered an issue with  my amd build that when i turn it on it displays onto the monitor but the monitor gives a message saying "Input is not supported).

I've reinstalled the 16.1.1 drivers using another monitor ( i use this monitor for my gaming pc so i can't use it for the amd build) that the computer posts with, didn't want to work with the old monitor. Reinstalled the stable 15.1 crimson drivers, that did not work, reinstalled windows and 16.1.1 and 15.1 drivers that did not work. So im out of ideas. What could it be?

Monitor port probably died

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Just now, don_svetlio said:

could be the monitor is a cheap $90 i got at best but like 3 years now

4 minutes ago, nikolaizombie1 said:

could be the monitor is a cheap $90 i got at best but like 3 years now

if the system works with another monitor I'd look at the cables, ports and the one that doesn't work

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

try another Port 

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

6 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

It works pefectly with the Acer H236HL bid (via hdmi or dvi)  but with the old monitor (Acer S201HLbd) it  gives that message 

Just now, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

try another Port 

ill do that if i can find the vga cable after school

2 minutes ago, nikolaizombie1 said:

It works pefectly with the Acer H236HL bid (via hdmi or dvi)  but with the old monitor (Acer S201HLbd) it  gives that message 

I mean the port on the monitor

yeah because i would say that the port is dead, but since it displays "input not supported" means there is a signal just something wrong with it 

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

8 hours ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

yeah because i would say that the port is dead, but since it displays "input not supported" means there is a signal just something wrong with it 

8 hours ago, don_svetlio said:

I just realized that my video card does not have a vga connector

Adapters?

Get a DVI to VGA adapter bro (i guess this means you got a D-Sub compatible monitor to try out) 

1 minute ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

Get a DVI to VGA adapter bro (i guess this means you got a D-Sub compatible monitor to try out) 

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

Adapters?

i could get one, but wouldn't it degrade video quality?

plus the monitor seemed to be working if i connected both monitors into the video card

1 minute ago, nikolaizombie1 said:

i could get one, but wouldn't it degrade video quality?

plus the monitor seemed to be working if i connected both monitors into the video card

Yes the quality will obviously go down, cause i'm guessing it's a 900p monitor 

So i get that that it's posting now ?! i'm lost dude sorry 

3 minutes ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

it ok i made it confusing. what i mean its that it sometimes work's under very specific circumstances, but yet again the amd always did not like that monitor.

first it only posted with divers and now it gives me that message 

4 minutes ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

let me see if it post's with the nvidia system

7 minutes ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

it works on the nvidia system via dvi, so wtf is going on

3 minutes ago, nikolaizombie1 said:

it works on the nvidia system via dvi, so wtf is going on

it's a graphics card problem, try the AMD Card over a different port 

5 minutes ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

it's a graphics card problem, try the AMD Card over a different port 

you mean pci-e? its an m-itx system so i just have 1 pcie slot

1 minute ago, nikolaizombie1 said:

you mean pci-e? its an m-itx system so i just have 1 pcie slot

Let me get this strait, you tried your Monitor on a system with an nvidia GPU and it worked, so this means it's a graphics card problem, either the port output you're using is dead or the graphics card it's self is broken 

reset CMOS. 

36 minutes ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

Let me get this strait, you tried your Monitor on a system with an nvidia GPU and it worked, so this means it's a graphics card problem, either the port output you're using is dead or the graphics card it's self is broken 

• the amd system posts with the new monitor but does not with the old one even with the older 15.1 drivers
  • the amd system works on the new monitor via dvi but not on the old one
19 minutes ago, Alexokan said:

reset CMOS. 

ok will do

6 minutes ago, nikolaizombie1 said:
  • the amd system posts with the new monitor but does not with the old one even with the older 15.1 drivers

if it posts on the new monitor off of the same port used on the old one than try a different port on the old one, if that doesn't work, get a new monitor, because Clearing CMOS won't do anything since it posts on a different monitor 

1 minute ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

if it posts on the new monitor off of the same port used on the old one than try a different port on the old one, if that doesn't work, get a new monitor, because Clearing CMOS won't do anything since it posts on a different monitor 

i cant use another port because amd gpu does not have a vga port but my display does