Headphones for metal/gaming ($100-$200)

SupaHughman

Hi guys, so I've had some shitty Turtle Beaches for a long time now and I've only recently (6 months or so), been educating myself as a tech consumer. The only peripheral I'm really missing now is a pair of decent headphones and this category of technology is much more diverse than the rest in my naive opinion. I'm looking for some help deciding on some headphones to pick up in the next few days with just a few little requirements.

1. Durability, high quality brands like Sennheiser from what I can gather.

2. As someone who doesn't have comparison brands, I THINK that I'd prefer a pair of headphones which are more bass heavy. I'm an avid listener of everything heavy, mostly metal but I sometimes wander into the realm of dubstep-esq music. Currently I own the Turtle Beach x12's which supposedly have 'bass boost' but I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that the bass boost on this headset is that of the beginning of bass on higher quality headsets.

Any advice, suggestions and comments would be appreciated.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I have a pretty f'ing large head and larger earcups would be preferable.

Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro. The sound quality is excellent, and they have adjustable bass.

A review from fellow user @Hoppa can be found here. http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/42781-beyerdynamic-custom-one-pro/

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

The DT990 Pro can be gotten cheaper, are more roomy inside the earpads, and would sound better if you have a soundcard than the Custom One Pro.

I recommend Grado SR80i's. They're excellent for metal/rock music, but are also good for everything else.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

I also have a problem of having a large head which is sometimes trouble in the headphone market. To be honest, you won't find the headphone you are looking for in that price range. If you can, look for an AD900x they will fit your head (I've had them before) and will sound great for music, and you can EQ the bass. Save up for a nice headphone amp like a fiio e10 or o2 amp.

Good luck.