I dont think my system is getting the performance it should...

Psychoooosis

Hey people of the LTT Forums. im here posting about me not thinking my system is getting the performance it should; here are my exact specs:

i5 4430 CPU running at 3Ghz 

GeForce GTX MSI 970 4GB VRAM

gigabyte b85m-d3h motherboard 

8GB of 798Mhz RAM

NZXT S340

1TB HDD 

Here are some shadowplayed clips that show off my FPS:

CSGO at a resolution of 1440x1080 at lowest settings  

Bo3 at Medium settings 1920x1080 smaa 2x  

I have a 144hz monitor and it really bugs me to not even get that on games like CSGO that are supposed to be easily runnable. I get lots of people that want me to stream and such so if anyone would know any good OBS settings that look decent but give good fps let me know. 

Any tips/help would mean a lot!!

Thanks a lot!

-Tom

1 minute ago, ExidCuter said:

Did you update all of the drivers?

mhmm. Check for updates on Nvidia every week or so.

Shadowplay from Geforce experience is what you are looking for, I know for a fact that OBS can be a big hog on resources. Your ram looks really questionable to me 800mhz?

Oh I see now that you do use Shadowplay, you can stream with Shadowplay both to Twitch and Youtube.

Edited by Macronus
I did not read correctly.

About me | Blog 

Just now, Macronus said:

Shadowplay from Geforce experience is what you are looking for, I know for a fact that OBS can be a big hog on resources. Your ram looks really questionable to me 800mhz?

just so happens that this morning I ordered 16gb of ram of my mate and it runs at 1600mhz so that should come tomorrow. that really shouldnt make that much of a difference though surely?

That FPS doesn't look too bad for a 970 at that res, and remember that shadowplay leverages some of your GPU power for realtime recording.

The FPS dips seem to happen during fast motion, which could be explained by shadowplay encoding.

1 minute ago, Samishere said:

That FPS doesn't look too bad for a 970 at that res, and remember that shadowplay leverages some of your GPU power for realtime recording.

The FPS dips seem to happen during fast motion, which could be explained by shadowplay encoding.

the res is lower than native 1920x1080. I have a mate with one 970 and an i7 4790k (a lot better than my CPU i know) and he gets at least 450.

5 minutes ago, Psychoooosis said:

just so happens that this morning I ordered 16gb of ram of my mate and it runs at 1600mhz so that should come tomorrow. that really shouldnt make that much of a difference though surely?

800MHZ is best you can get from DDR2 as I'm aware. It has to be the problem here as I am more then fine running CSGO on 750 and 4790k with around 100-150 FPS (Medium I think). I'm really interested in the performance after the upgrade.

About me | Blog 

Run GPU-Z or afterburner to check your GPU utilization. If you are leaving your FPS uncapped in CS:GO and your GPU isn't getting pinged then there might be something wrong.

For reference, yes the 970 is capable of a lot more. Out of the box with no OC, my 970 was pulling 350 average at max settings easily, even with shadowplay on.

What is your config like? If you have fps_max set to some lower number (like 150 or something) that would be a problem. Also, if you have it set to 0, that can both drastically increase load times (due to the stupid way volvo decided that loading screens should work) and actually DECREASE fps. With fps_max at 999, I get fps anywhere between 300 and 500. With fps_max at 0, I struggle to get into the 200s.

Core i5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce | MSI Z170 Krait Gaming Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR4 2400 | NZXT S340 Red                                              EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo | Razer Blackwidow Tournament | Logitech G600 Razer Kraken USB                                                                                                            If you want me to see your post, please remember to quote me!