Is my graphics card secure?

Ooxaz

Hello there, I'm  just wondering if my graphics card is secure enough, I have a 970 strix and whenever I plug in a cable directly into my GPU it wobbles alot in the case. It honestly looks like it's going to fall off. I can also wobble it with my hand. 

I'm not using screws, just the PCI-E bracket and that's it, is my card in danger? Is it supposed to wobble? 

Which screws does it use? And where exactly do they go?

Just now, TheRandomness said:

You're supposed to use screws.

2 minutes ago, IPickle said:

Put the screws on. like now.   I've seen many people break motherboards doing that.

Which screws does it use? And where exactly do they go?

3 minutes ago, Ooxaz said:

Hello there, I'm  just wondering if my graphics card is secure enough, I have a 970 strix and whenever I plug in a cable directly into my GPU it wobbles alot in the case. It honestly looks like it's going to fall off. I can also wobble it with my hand. 

I'm not using screws, just the PCI-E bracket and that's it, is my card in danger? Is it supposed to wobble? 

GPUs can get heavy, it would be a good idea to put in the screws immediately. It is not supposed to wobble and you are putting strain on the motherboard which is probably going to damage it in the long run.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

screw the pci-e bracket in securely, and -i personally recommend this as a strix owner- brace the card with a piece of string, the strix card have a perfect mounting spot for this. (theres a bracket on the cooler near the power cables that sticks out enough to tie string to)

1 minute ago, IPickle said:

Aren't they normally 6/32 thumbscrews?

Any Idea where I can buy those, and where do I screw them in?

Just now, Ooxaz said:

Guide is above. What case do you have?

Ok thanks guys, So how do I buy 

6/32 thumbscrews?

1 minute ago, Ooxaz said:

It'll be easier for me to put links in one big post instead of multiple scattered ones

Where To Buy

http://www.amazon.com/8pcs-Computer-Thumb-Screws-Black/dp/B00JVK6176/ref=pd_sim_147_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=41nrNNEg8-L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0CDG7H3AKQWXYCQP6SN6

Where To / How To Install

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/slizone_howto_install_uk.html

1 minute ago, Ooxaz said:

You usually have to take those screws out to remove the PCI-E brackets blocking the GPU...

Quote me in replies so I see them.

3 minutes ago, Ooxaz said:

Home depot, ask for  6/32 thumbscrews

3 minutes ago, VikingGaming said:

You usually have to take those screws out to remove the PCI-E brackets blocking the GPU...

Unless they are those crappy one-use brackets. (usually come in cheap pc cases)

2 minutes ago, Ooxaz said:

Thanks, kinda sucks I will have to wait for delivery, I'm really worried now :(

Nearly any screws that came with you case will work too. They dont have to be thumb screws, thumb srews just makes it easier to take GPUs in/out.

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

Just now, The_Stig said:

Nearly any screws that came with you case will work too. They dont have to be thumb screws, thumb srews just makes it easier to take GPUs in/out.

Purchased my case like 3 years ago, I think I lost them all :(

1 minute ago, The_Stig said:

Yup. as long as they have a 6/32 threading I believe. But don't quote me on that.

Just now, IPickle said:

Yup. as long as they have a 6/32 threading I believe. But don't quote me on that.

Alright, I guess I will just search around my whole house for some. If I dont find any I will have to go out and buy some, my graphics card has been like this for months now, I am so stupid D:

Just now, IPickle said:

If anywhere, PC world / Currys, Maplins or B&Q should have some.

Home depot, Lowes, True Value, any other hardware store should have some too.

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

Just now, IPickle said:

If anywhere, PC world / Currys, Maplins or B&Q should have some.

Alright, worst case I will have to leave it until tomorrow as my parents are both not at home. I wonder if there are extra screws in the other PCI-E brackets?