Changing RAM Timings [Help]

Hi, so I have my issues finding a way to change my ram timings, 

They are not in my dell bios or intel extension bios. (See model and rig in profile)

I use this pc for both work and games, so here are the timings I currently have.

cpuramramr324245345326.jpg

,Thanks

If your board allows you to change them, it will be in the RAM settings in the BIOS. 

CL9 is good, though. Changing the timings will only improve it by nano seconds, which you're not going to notice. 

3 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

If your board allows you to change them, it will be in the RAM settings in the BIOS. 

CL9 is good, though. Changing the timings will only improve it by nano seconds, which you're not going to notice. 

I was told to change the CR from 1t to 2t for a specific reason, as said there is no option in the bios(es), thats why I ask in this thread.

1 minute ago, TwinDenis said:

I was told to change the CR from 1t to 2t for a specific reason, as said there is no option in the bios(es), thats why I ask in this thread.

Odds are you won't find that option in an OEM BIOS. 

Why do you need to do that anyway, lower command rate is better as it reduces first access latency :P

3 minutes ago, TwinDenis said:

The only thing I can think to try is updating the board's BIOS if there's one available. The board may just be locked down, preventing you from changing things like that. 

1 minute ago, harrynowl said:

Odds are you won't find that option in an OEM BIOS. 

Why do you need to do that anyway, lower command rate is better as it reduces first access latency :P

Nevermind that, I just want to know how.

I get stutter in games, pretty much is related to ram. But this is different subject.

The only thing I want to know is how to change the timings.

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

The only thing I can think to try is updating the board's BIOS if there's one available. The board may just be locked down, preventing you from changing things like that. 

Its the latest OEM bios firmware.

1 minute ago, TwinDenis said:

Its the latest OEM bios firmware.

It sounds like your only option may be to get a new board. If the settings aren't there, then it's the board not letting you do it. 

Unless you can find options to change/enable XMP profiles, there may be something in there. 

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

It sounds like your only option may be to get a new board. If the settings aren't there, then it's the board not letting you do it. 

Unless you can find options to change/enable XMP profiles, there may be something in there. 

That is why I am here for, and cant really change boards, there is not a single reason I should buy a whole new rig for one config option.

It is like telling me to buy a new PC.

2 minutes ago, TwinDenis said:

That is why I am here for, and cant really change boards, there is not a single reason I should buy a whole new rig for one config option.

It is like telling me to buy a new PC.

Well, you've either got to keep the settings as they are, or buy a new board. If the board is locked down, then there's not much you can do other than that. 

You can try looking around every part of the BIOS for the settings (which it sounds like you've already done), but they likely just aren't there.

Its just that the option is not on the OEM Bios. There has to be a way, if you do not know it and recommend me to buy a new PC, then you dont have answer for this Thread subject.

43 minutes ago, TwinDenis said:

Its just that the option is not on the OEM Bios. There has to be a way, if you do not know it and recommend me to buy a new PC, then you dont have answer for this Thread subject.

Why do you assume there has to be a way? It's an OEM board with limited to no functionality in terms of modifying settings (any settings related to clock/timings for components). That is industry standard for OEM builders.

What is the "specific reason" for moving to 2T? It's slower...

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

31 minutes ago, runit3 said:

Why do you assume there has to be a way? It's an OEM board with limited to no functionality in terms of modifying settings (any settings related to clock/timings for components). That is industry standard for OEM builders.

What is the "specific reason" for moving to 2T? It's slower...

Exactly. OEM bioses wont have things you can use to break the functionality of the machine with as it'd be a waste of a support workers time when little Johny goes and sets the CL to 2 and causes it not to POST :P 

So any new ram kit I add in even if its with lower latency will run at CAS 9 instead of lets say CAS 8?

Or will it become the default of the ram itself?

21 minutes ago, TwinDenis said:

So any new ram kit I add in even if its with lower latency will run at CAS 9 instead of lets say CAS 8?

Or will it become the default of the ram itself?

It should default to the profile of the kit itself, assuming the kit speed/latency is supported by the board (slotting in a 2400MHz kit would likely cause it to run at JEDEC 1333MHz). I've outfitted numerous OEM Dell/HP boards with 1600MHz kits and they always default to their rated specs provided no other kit is installed on the system. Maximum OEM voltage support is probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.35v with speeds topping out around 1866. If you wanted to guarantee a certain kits timing/speed compatibility you would need to contact the OEM directly.

I'm really struggling to understand the purpose of what you are doing. CAS 8 or 9 is negligible in terms of performance, and 2T is slower than the already configured 1T CR. If you are trying to add an additional kit to your system the faster kit will default to the slower kit's timings and speed.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

10 minutes ago, runit3 said:

It should default to the profile of the kit itself, assuming the kit speed/latency is supported by the board (slotting in a 2400MHz kit would likely cause it to run at JEDEC 1333MHz). I've outfitted numerous OEM Dell/HP boards with 1600MHz kits and they always default to their rated specs provided no other kit is installed on the system. Maximum OEM voltage support is probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.35v with speeds topping out around 1866. If you wanted to guarantee a certain kits timing/speed compatibility you would need to contact the OEM directly.

I'm really struggling to understand the purpose of what you are doing. CAS 8 or 9 is negligible in terms of performance, and 2T is slower than the already configured 1T CR. If you are trying to add an additional kit to your system the faster kit will default to the slower kit's timings and speed.

I have ordered a new ram kit because one of my sticks is faulty.

Here is the link to the manufacturer's webpage for the product line:
http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-2400c10d-16gtx
Here is the Product:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009V50T7O/?tag=tec06d-20

Will those do?

2 minutes ago, TwinDenis said:

I have ordered a new ram kit because one of my sticks is faulty.

Here is the link to the manufacturer's webpage for the product line:
http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-2400c10d-16gtx
Here is the Product:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009V50T7O/?tag=tec06d-20

Will those do?

Yes, they should work fine, but nothing is guaranteed unless you talk to the OEM manufacturer directly about the kit. HP/Dell are terrible at providing QVL's for their products.

I slot these kits http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Ballistix-PC3-12800-BLS2KIT4G3D1609DS1S00-BLS2CP4G3D1609DS1S00/dp/B006WAGGUK/ref=sr_1_6?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1454432355&sr=1-6&keywords=crucial+2x4GB+DDR3

every week into HP/Dell builds at work. They default with no issue to XMP at 1.5v and rated latencies, although their timings are a bit looser.

OEM Board = you wont be able to change most stuff.

Thats why you never buy OEM crap ;) For the future....

As for Timings: Just let them be. honestly. Changing timings, does Literaly Nothing, you could ever possible notice in ANY kind of application.

Upgrade your Ram only, if you need more.

Timings, latency are just secondary.

57 minutes ago, runit3 said:

Yes, they should work fine, but nothing is guaranteed unless you talk to the OEM manufacturer directly about the kit. HP/Dell are terrible at providing QVL's for their products.

I slot these kits http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Ballistix-PC3-12800-BLS2KIT4G3D1609DS1S00-BLS2CP4G3D1609DS1S00/dp/B006WAGGUK/ref=sr_1_6?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1454432355&sr=1-6&keywords=crucial+2x4GB+DDR3

every week into HP/Dell builds at work. They default with no issue to XMP at 1.5v and rated latencies, although their timings are a bit looser.

Alright so it is settled, I will not cancel my order.

Yes I phoned them many times for upgrades and they said with a somewhat rude attribute, they are not in charge for upgrades, I said it was just a compatibility question and still did say they do not have a list of compatible products. So I said okay and closed the phone. It is essential for a good company to at least assist with this kind of stuff. They could not explain why I was having performance issues and just blamed the overall system not being able to do gaming and that I could only do cad (which I do not actually do) so instead I use it to do game 3D graphics and such.

Regardless, they were excuses, it should give good performance, people are gaming with xeons without real issues. Not talkibg about minor issues but unplayable cases.

I suspect it is a ram problem, seeing that and the fact that I got pagefaults in nonpaged area without system file or storage problems and faulty ram I went towards the upgrade road. Essentially they could have been avoiding me for the warranty and now that it is expired they do not care. I explained this case of ram possible failure as well, but they said since their "trusted diagnostics" did not show up any sign of problem that it was not up to them for replacing back then. Seriously Dell...

51 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

OEM Board = you wont be able to change most stuff.

Thats why you never buy OEM crap ;) For the future....

As for Timings: Just let them be. honestly. Changing timings, does Literaly Nothing, you could ever possible notice in ANY kind of application.

Upgrade your Ram only, if you need more.

Timings, latency are just secondary.

What should it be for the future as of gaming board and stuff? recommended brands? Just out of curiosity.

None ;) Self build!

Its easy to build it yourself, its like Lego.

there are TONS of tutorials on youtube, how you put which parts where together, which capes comes where.

Plus, yo'll get any help you want here ^^

And regarding which parts to take for what budget..  You can ask here too. Or any hardware forum.

Another pro that way: Later you dont need to buy a new PC, but just replace the parts that are old. And dont think about, if your PSU is too weak, or if your Case is too small.

1 hour ago, Darkseth said:

None ;) Self build!

Its easy to build it yourself, its like Lego.

there are TONS of tutorials on youtube, how you put which parts where together, which capes comes where.

Plus, yo'll get any help you want here ^^

And regarding which parts to take for what budget..  You can ask here too. Or any hardware forum.

Another pro that way: Later you dont need to buy a new PC, but just replace the parts that are old. And dont think about, if your PSU is too weak, or if your Case is too small.

Yeah I guess.

So the main issue is my ram is getting me bottlenecks in games, you can see the pick above and check what could cause bot spawns and sudden effects make the fps drop, but only internal frames, not the actual counter, I call it choppy fps.