980ti enough for ultrawide gaming?

bdog1281

Alright im currently building a computer that i plan to game on either the new asus ultrawide 3440x1440 g-sync monitor or the acer version. Now because of the cost of the monitors i only have about $2000 i can spend on the computer. i was planning on going with a single 980ti but with the intention to upgrade to dual sli later down the road. but that may be a little while. as for the type of gaming im not really hardcore but tend to play a little of everything casually.(cs:go,Witcher 3, The division, rainbow six, mmo's like elder scrolls, eve online, wow, free to plays, mobas. Pretty much anything i can find to play. some damanding some not.) Now my question is with a single 980ti, i say single because i may be up to a year before i can get another 980ti, will i be able to play these game comfortable at decent setting. example medium to high no aa. and average atleast 60 fps and not drop below 40? i have been playing games at about 60fps average for awhile now on my current build at 1080, and get headache when im playing fps and the frames drop below 50. im trying to figure out if i should try and move things around and get the second card now or not?

The 980ti is great! But not even a Titan X can play games (Or graphically intense games)  at 3440x1440 with playable framerates,  there is not any GPU that can, at this instance in time. I would recommend and 2560x1440 monitor at most, with a 980ti.

Should've been posted under Video Cards section.
Anyway, that should be fine for you, and it's super nice that you can have the 2nd 980 Ti down the line, it's gonna improve things even more.

Spoiler

I am in similar position, planning to go for 3440x1440 and I have 980 Ti. For most of games it is enough, although in most demanding ones, like Witcher 3, Assassins Creed: Unity and Syndicate, Rise of the Tomb Rider you will have very hard time to even hit average 50 FPS. Those games are barely holding stable 60 FPS on my 1440p screen right now, and those are not completely maxed out settings, you need compromises even in regular 1440p on 980 Ti. But if you want to pay double and buy one of those crazy overpriced 3440x1440 g-sync monitors, then you should be okay if with g-sync. If not, then you can play less demanding games until new GPUs comes out and then upgrade for the most powerful Pascal.

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6900K 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: X99 Sabertooth | GPU: RTX 2080 Ti SLi | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3400 CL13 | SSD: SX8200 PRO 512GB | PSU: Corsair AX1600i | Case: InWin 805C | Monitor: LG 38UC99-W 85Hz | Keyboard: Wooting One Analog | Keypad: Azeron Compact Analog | Mouse: Swiftpoint Z | Audio: Klipsch Reference 5.1