Fans are too loud/speedfan help!

solarwinggx

Hey guys

i bought 6 EK Vardar pwm for my rig but they are running at max RPM so it sounds like a jet engine next to me. 

and while i enjoy the performance it provides (20*C on idle *o*) its too loud for me. ive tried using speed fan to lower the speed but for some reason it wont lower the speed despite recognising the fans. 

I did disable the bios fan control software, and no i dont want to use the bios software because i think its dumb to have to go into bios everytime you want to increase/decrease fan speed.

im welcome to hear other solutions that dont require going into bios!

Thanks!

Noctua provides resistors for their fans, you could probably get small adapter cables to lover the voltage.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

what motherboard?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Just now, unidentical said:

Noctua provides resistors for their fans, you could probably get small adapter cables to lover the voltage.

can you elaborate? :D

If speedfan isn't taking control of your fans you will need to find this in the advanced section
You want them set to manual, instead of your BIOS. BIOS in my scenario is Smart Fan

LjJ1HfR.png

3 minutes ago, solarwinggx said:

can you elaborate? :D

Like this

http://www.amazon.com/Speed-Noise-Reduce-4Wires-Resistor/dp/B00N41A2Z0

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

This may sound like a simple thing, but are your fans plugged into the header on the motherboard and not directly into your power supply?

What's the motherboard?
You should be able to set a fan curve in the bios, I've done it with my 212 EVO's fan. 

I swear nobody reads the fucking issues people are having and what they want help with.
Obviously it's plugged into his motherboard header if SpeedFan is recognizing it and he just said he doesn't want to use the BIOS for fan control...

11 minutes ago, Hunched said:

If speedfan isn't taking control of your fans you will need to find this in the advanced section
You want them set to manual, instead of your BIOS. BIOS in my scenario is Smart Fan

LjJ1HfR.png

heres what mine looks like

Capture.JPG

4 minutes ago, solarwinggx said:

and in the Fan Control tab you've got everything set up? For example this is what mine looks like controlled by GPU temps. It's "front fans" because I used a Y cable, so 2 fans are connected to 1 mobo header.

iVP4fMP.png

12 minutes ago, solarwinggx said:

Capture.JPG

try changing the PWM 1 Type to whatever else (DC i assume) and try that if you haven't?

what does your main speedfan screen look like?

Untitled.png

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

18 minutes ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

try changing the PWM 1 Type to whatever else (DC i assume) and try that if you haven't?

what does your main speedfan screen look like?

Untitled.png

i tried this, it didnt help. on the non-beta version of this doesnt even have that option

Hunched help me figure out how to change it, but from 0-100% it has a limited range (1600rpm to 1900rpm)

5 minutes ago, solarwinggx said:

i tried this, it didnt help. on the non-beta version of this doesnt even have that option

Hunched help me figure out how to change it, but from 0-100% it has a limited range (1600rpm to 1900rpm)

hmm, that is something but 1600 is still pretty noisy I bet.  What motherboard do you have?   My Asus had a dc/pwm option for each fan header and there may be something similar you could change once to get speedfan working correctly

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

2 minutes ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

hmm, that is something but 1600 is still pretty noisy I bet.  What motherboard do you have?   My Asus had a dc/pwm option for each fan header and there may be something similar you could change once to get speedfan working correctly

i have a Asus z170-pro (NOT progaming)

heres my speedfan profile

Untitled.jpg

oh i have all my fans connected to a silver stone 8 in 1 pwm fan hub. this fan hub has 1 pwm header that i pluged into the CPU header of my mobo and it is using SATA power to power the 6 fans that i have

12 minutes ago, solarwinggx said:

oh i have all my fans connected to a silver stone 8 in 1 pwm fan hub. this fan hub has 1 pwm header that i pluged into the CPU header of my mobo and it is using SATA power to power the 6 fans that i have

have you tried using any other fan header? (other than your ext_fan).  You'll also have you select it in your "fans" and "speeds" tab according to whatever header you use.   

I'd try setting your CPU fan speed to 0% in the BIOS for a second just to see if it works since it doesn't with SpeedFan.
If that doesn't work, then we know it probably isn't anything in Windows causing the issue since it's also happening in the BIOS.

I want to say somehow it's the PWM hub since it's the only thing that appears to be different from how I've got things working, my fans go directly to the motherboard headers. I can't however think of any reason why the fan hub would actually be causing this... it's just the only thing I see different so it stands out.

cpf04_edm_en.jpg

Make sure one of the fans is plugged in to the glossy port, I'm not familiar with the fan speed all you're using but if it requires communication in what speed the fan reports, that header is the only one that will give it.

While we're at it, try plugging a fan directly into the mobo header, skipping the pwm splitter to see what you can get

9 hours ago, solarwinggx said:

i have a Asus z170-pro (NOT progaming)

heres my speedfan profile

Untitled.jpg

You need to tick Automatic fan speed from main window for any of advanced settings to take place. If you don't mind, another re-check with what I made to get Speedfan working correctly Speedfan guide

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

OK GUYS, I FOUND THE REASON

im an idiot and had the fan control mode in bios set to disabled and change it to pwm allowed me to control fans in speedfan 4.52 (beta version)

the next step is to find out why speedfan wont register my water pump's RPM. i can control it's speed in speedfan (0% signal stops the pump) but i cant see how fast its spinning

***update***
changing the waterpump pwm header from the dedicated waterpump header (on the asus Z170-pro motherboard) to a chasisfan header fixed the problem

i now have full control over my waterpump and can see its rpm