IP camera system

RedWulf

I'm getting ready to set up an IP camera system (about 25 cameras). The main focus will be on my house with a decent router should cover(wifi). I need some budget recommendations for this router, reliable and several Ethernet ports preferably. I will also be adding some to a family house about 500 feet away; can a cat6 cable and a couple repeaters manage to link the two? Im trying to avoid fibre. However a wifi connection is possible, in which case I need recommendations for the antennas and routers.

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

You're gonna need a network switch, a proper 16 port one at least. Why not wire the cameras? For wireless, I have an asus RT-AC66U and i think there's a 68U now. Check that line out, it'll be great. 

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Just now, Flight1sim said:

Why not wire the cameras? For wireless, I have an asus RT-AC66U and i think there's a 68U now.

I may wire it to be honest, but since I'm not entirely settled in and share a home I'm trying to avoid laying a lot of hardwire. Thanks for the recommendation

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

1 minute ago, RedWulf said:

I may wire it to be honest, but since I'm not entirely settled in and share a home I'm trying to avoid laying a lot of hardwire. Thanks for the recommendation

No problem. Hopefully you won't have problems if u get a power outage or something, I know that some cameras reset when they lose power :P 

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

25 camera is a lot for a normal consumer solution. Would you be using stand alone units or some kind of system? I am not a fan of wireless camera for security purposes. It isn't hard to buy/make a Wifi jammer that a intruder could use to disable that layer of security. A little bit foil hat, but not unheard of. If nothing else, I would set recording to fall back to internal storage incase of a network failure.

Also, I would suggest getting cameras with PoE injectors. Not only does this make it easier to run the wires (no power cord) but since the power is isolated, you can set up a battery backup. 

25 cameras is excessive. And not really feasible on wireless. 25 concurrent streams is a lot to handle. You will need some decent hardware to monitor, manage, and record a system of that size.

Post a more detailed plan so that we can help you better.