Slowing 3-Pin Fans

Ryoutarou97

So I'll be building in the h440 which comes with 4 3-pin fans. I was wondering if I could get a resistor, run that from my motherboard to the built in fan splitter, then run my fans off of that? And if so, which would you recommend?

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

what motherboard do you have? some motherboards can still control the speed of 3 pin fans. It's also very likely the fans are low RPM fans already.

Just now, 3DGamerOnSteam said:

what motherboard do you have? some motherboards can still control the speed of 3 pin fans.

Wait, really? Huh, good to know. z170a krait gaming.

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

5 minutes ago, Ryoutarou97 said:

All the headers on that board are 4 pin, so probably not. But the 4 fans on the h440 are probably low RPM. Wait and see how fast they spin before you look into  in line resistors.

Some motherboards allow manipulation of the voltage supplied to 3pin fans. You could also get adapters like the ones in Noctua fan sets.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

23 minutes ago, 3DGamerOnSteam said:

All the headers on that board are 4 pin, so probably not. But the 4 fans on the h440 are probably low RPM. Wait and see how fast they spin before you look into  in line resistors.

The thing is, the rest of the system should be pretty much completely silent. A g2 PSU, low RPM SP fans on the 360 rad (for just the CPU) and a PWM D5 pump so these will probably be the loudest thing in my system and I would like to get rid of the noise. If they're too loud (which I highly expect they will be) what would you recommend to slow them. Also, which 3 pins in a 4-pin do I plug the fan in to?

4 minutes ago, Ryoutarou97 said:

The thing is, the rest of the system should be pretty much completely silent. A g2 PSU, low RPM SP fans on the 360 rad (for just the CPU) and a PWM D5 pump so these will probably be the loudest thing in my system and I would like to get rid of the noise. If they're too loud (which I highly expect they will be) what would you recommend to slow them. Also, which 3 pins in a 4-pin do I put the fan on to?

the headers have a guide, you can't screw it up. again, it depends on how fast the fans are. If you don't know how fast they are, you wont know what resistors you should get, unless you want to pick up variable ones. Variable resistors are best, but they take up for room and might look bad if you care about looks. Normal resistors are fine, and will look better.

1 hour ago, 3DGamerOnSteam said:

the headers have a guide, you can't screw it up. again, it depends on how fast the fans are. If you don't know how fast they are, you wont know what resistors you should get, unless you want to pick up variable ones. Variable resistors are best, but they take up for room and might look bad if you care about looks. Normal resistors are fine, and will look better.

The on further research, the fans are 21 DbA so they probably won't need quieting. Dunno how I missed that. Thanks for all the help. I'll let you know when I plug into the wrong 4 pins and screw it up :3.

28 minutes ago, Ryoutarou97 said:

The on further research, the fans are 21 DbA so they probably won't need quieting. Dunno how I missed that. Thanks for all the help. I'll let you know when I plug into the wrong 4 pins and screw it up :3.

There should be a plastic bit that blocks you from plugging the fan into the wrong three pins ;)

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

35 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

There should be a plastic bit that blocks you from plugging the fan into the wrong three pins ;)

Thanks, but I think you're underestimating my ability to screw things up. When you hear about that house that exploded, it was me plugging in the fan.

6 hours ago, Ryoutarou97 said:

6 hours ago, 3DGamerOnSteam said:

Not Necessarily they are 4 pin headers but most are capable to both DC voltage control or PWm or are just 3 pin DC voltage control header but physically a 4 pin header. In MSI hardware monitor on the BIOS it should allow you to control all of those fans.