CPU only watercool plan for Arc Midi R2 - Am I overspending? Do I have everything?

Go to solution Solved by Ghost,

1) Yes all those parts are compatible and would work together.

2) With Z87 the price of motherboards make little difference in the over clocking capability, if you want more features then you should go for a higher priced board though. This is more of a question for the NB&P section of the forum though, you would get a much more detailed response.

3) Fan grills are useful with fans outside the case to stop small things falling into the fans and smashing the blades. They are mostly used when fans are mounted outside the case but can also be used for aesthetics or if you have exposed fans at the bottom of your case where something could drop into them. They can also protecty radiator fins from being dented if something falls on them.

4) Not really a question?

5) Dyes can stain your components and many people will tell you that they can clog your blocks but thats rare and it's usually not the dye thaty causes the issue. At any rate using a clear coolant with coloured tubing is usually the easier option.

6) You are in fact spending too little. Most notably on the pump where you should be looking at a Laing DDC or D5 pump.

7) You should test if all you components are DOA or not before setting up your loop, it will save you a lot of time if they turn out to be DOA.

8) Don't bother putting the GPU in; keep it safe. You can also leave power wiring until you set-up your loop.

9) A funnel is always helpful. A scalpel is much better for cutting than scissors.

P.S.: You can buy a 240 fan grill instead of two 120 fan grills.

Hello, this is the PC I will be building:

Theme: Black and Green

Budget: £1750 including watercooling for CPU

I've made this list of watercooling parts using Ghost's "budget friendly CPU only watercooling thread"

CPU:  Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£259.99 @ Aria PC) 

Motherboard:  Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£115.04 @ Scan.co.uk) 

Memory:  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£108.96 @ Amazon UK) 

Storage:  Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  (£144.17 @ Amazon UK) 

Storage:  Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£65.95 @ Amazon UK) 

Video Card:  MSI GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card  (£500.14 @ Scan.co.uk) 

Case Fan:  NoiseBlocker NB-eLoop B12-PS 5.8 CFM 120mm  Fan  (£15.83 @ Amazon UK) 

Case Fan:  NoiseBlocker NB-eLoop B12-PS 5.8 CFM 120mm  Fan  (£15.83 @ Amazon UK) 

Operating System:  Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit)  (£67.67 @ Aria PC) 

Other: Watercooling Parts (£240.00)

Total: £1718.26

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-06 22:48 BST+0100)

Watercooling Parts:

EK Supreme LTX CSQ Intel CPU Waterblock : Nickel Acetal - http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/product.php?productid=16896

EK CSQ 1/4" Thread Compression Fitting for 3/8" ID - 1/2" OD (10-13mm) Tubing : Black Quantity: 6

EK EKoolant Premium Fluid for Watercooling 1 Litre : Green / UV Lime Green

XSPC Dual Bay Reservoir with DC 3.25 Pump

XSPC RS Series 240mm Dual Radiator

Primochill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT 3/8" ID - 1/2" OD (10-13mm) Tubing : Crystal Clear Quantity: 2

120mm Standard Fan Grill Quantity: 2

Questions:

1) Are all the watercooling parts compatible?

2) Should I be spending that little amount on the motherboard for watercooling if that makes a difference? I'm making a black and green build but this is the best quality motherboard I've seen with as little colour as possible which I'm hoping would be covered by all the components and the blue on the D3H won't be noticed. Should I spend more and go for a UD4/5? (There are no green motherboards unfortunately)

3) Do I need two 120mm fan grills?

4) This build will be in the Arc Midi R2: My plan is to put the 240mm radiator in the front and move the HDD cage to the left near the PSU and the bayres in the 2 5.25 bays.

5) Green tubing with clear liquid or clear tubing with green liquid? Opinions?

6) Am I overspending on any of these parts? I know its cheap for watercooling but if I could go cheaper that would be great, I think I may be overspending on the bayres, but not too sure.

7) When I actually have all the parts, should I build the PC with the stock CPU cooler and get everything up and running or do it all in one go with the CPU loop involved?

8) Are there any parts I should take out/leave in while putting the CPU loop in?

9) What actual tools/equipment will I need apart from scissors/isopropyl alcohol/paper towels?

Sorry for the huge amount of text and questions, if anyones got some spare time and could answer a few that would be greatly appreciated.

2) With Z87 the price of motherboards make little difference in the over clocking capability, if you want more features then you should go for a higher priced board though. This is more of a question for the NB&P section of the forum though, you would get a much more detailed response.

3) Fan grills are useful with fans outside the case to stop small things falling into the fans and smashing the blades. They are mostly used when fans are mounted outside the case but can also be used for aesthetics or if you have exposed fans at the bottom of your case where something could drop into them. They can also protecty radiator fins from being dented if something falls on them.

5) Dyes can stain your components and many people will tell you that they can clog your blocks but thats rare and it's usually not the dye thaty causes the issue. At any rate using a clear coolant with coloured tubing is usually the easier option.

6) You are in fact spending too little. Most notably on the pump where you should be looking at a Laing DDC or D5 pump.

7) You should test if all you components are DOA or not before setting up your loop, it will save you a lot of time if they turn out to be DOA.

8) Don't bother putting the GPU in; keep it safe. You can also leave power wiring until you set-up your loop.

9) A funnel is always helpful. A scalpel is much better for cutting than scissors.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

1) yes

2) there wont be any performance difference, the only difference are the features, like number of sata/usb ports, pcie lanes, etc.

3)no

4)should work out fine

5)green tubing with clear liquid (easier to handle and better looks)

6) you go pretty basic with wc parts, so no

7)do a test bootup to make sure all parts are working correctly

8)leave graphics card out and cover the psu with paper towl

9) screw drivers, a funnel, patience

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

2) should of phrased better, if a cheaper mobo would of made any difference to watercooling.

4) was just checking if that was fine

5) what looks better or is there much difference? - would like it to look a bright lime green or something that looks similar to mayhems pastel coolant. if needs to be changed would this be more appropriate then - http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/Primochill-PrimoFlex-Advanced-LRT-38-ID---12-OD-10-13mm-Tubing--UV-Atomic-Green-pid-18380.html

5a) could you recommend me a clear coolant please preferably from specialtech if thats ok?

6) this? http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/XSPC-Acrylic-Dual-525-Reservoir-and-Pump-Combination-pid-18185.html

sorry for lots of questions and thank you for your help again.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

2) should of phrased better, if a cheaper mobo would of made any difference to watercooling.

4) was just checking if that was fine

5) what looks better or is there much difference? - would like it to look a bright lime green or something that looks similar to mayhems pastel coolant. if needs to be changed would this be more appropriate then - http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/Primochill-PrimoFlex-Advanced-LRT-38-ID---12-OD-10-13mm-Tubing--UV-Atomic-Green-pid-18380.html

5a) could you recommend me a clear coolant please preferably from specialtech if thats ok?

6) this? http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/XSPC-Acrylic-Dual-525-Reservoir-and-Pump-Combination-pid-18185.html

sorry for lots of questions and thank you for your help again.

2) To the watercooling, no.

4) It fits, so if you manage to fit the HDD cage in it's fine.

5) It wouldn't look similar to mayhems coolants but it wouldn't look bad.

5a) Use clear EK or XSPC coolant.

6) That's great.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Here is the coolant, that ok? - http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/XSPC-EC6-Non-Conductive-Coolant-1-Litre--Clear--UV-Blue-pid-16388.html

Also, sorry again for the questions, would you recommend the 2 fans facing towards the right of the case (which would be push?) or being visible inside the case on the radiator?

Thanks for the help, very kind of you.

- Yes, thats fine

- Scythe Gentle Typhoons

- Yes, thats fine

- Scythe Gentle Typhoons

on the left side of the radiator (pull?) or in push?

on the left side of the radiator (pull?) or in push?

Doesn't matter. The differences will be tiny. I would use pull on the right side of the rad to hide the fans.

Doesn't matter. The differences will be tiny. I would use pull on the right side of the rad to hide the fans.

Thanks for everything, a massive help.