Internet problems with Netgear powerline 1200

JTB77

I bought the netgear powerline 1200 because my wifi is somewhat spotty in the room I use my pc in, so I noticed my laptop with bad wifi(asus ux305fa) had speeds of about 170 mbps, while my desktop with netgear had speeds of about 40 mbps, a noticable difference while web browsing.  My house was built in the 1990's, and the room I am in was built later, so the cables should handle it.  I tried testing it it multiple rooms by moving my entire desktop and had the same speeds.

My system has a msi z170-a pro motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130892&cm_re=msi_z170-_-13-130-892-_-Product could this be doing anything to affect my speeds?  Should I return the netgear for a wifi card? 

CPU - Intel I3-6100 Motherboard - MSI Z170-A PRO RAM G.SKILL NT Series 8gb 2400MZ DDR4 GPU - Power Color R9 380X Case - NZXT Source 220 Window Storage - 1TB Western Digital Blue PSU - Corsair CX500 OS - Windows 10 Pro

6 minutes ago, Trikein said:

What is your powerline connection rate? Also what router do you have it connected to and how is it configured?

Last, check out these general tips.

It has 1200 MBPS speed, and its a powerline... not connected dirrectly to a router

CPU - Intel I3-6100 Motherboard - MSI Z170-A PRO RAM G.SKILL NT Series 8gb 2400MZ DDR4 GPU - Power Color R9 380X Case - NZXT Source 220 Window Storage - 1TB Western Digital Blue PSU - Corsair CX500 OS - Windows 10 Pro

First, I don't think you mean 1200MBps, but 1200Mbps.

Second, that is the hyerthetical limit from adapter to adapter, not adapter to PC. 

Third, how do you have the powerline set up? Do you have two connected together just for your LAN? Is the connections wired or wireless from devices to adapter? And if you don't have it connected to the router, how are you getting online to "web browse"?

'

51 minutes ago, Trikein said:

Second, that is the hyerthetical limit from adapter to adapter, not adapter to PC. 

Third, how do you have the powerline set up? Do you have two connected together just for your LAN? Is the connections wired or wireless from devices to adapter? And if you don't have it connected to the router, how are you getting online to "web browse"?

'

I meant that it is not connected directly to my router, it is through he wall power.  It goes router to wall outlet(with powerline 1200) then a DIFFERENT walloutlet(with powerline 1200) to my pc

When you say "different" do you mean separate or a different model?

Also, how does the 2nd powerline connect to your PC? Ethernet or Wifi?

Also, what is the connection rate between powerline and PC? 

Last, are the two rooms on the same circuit breaker?

1 hour ago, Trikein said:

'

From the research I have done, Power line is much like WiFi when it comes to speed promises. Its a wired connection which tends to make it more reliable. But speed wise you will NEVER get the rated speeds. Also you really only get close to your rated speed if your on the same circuit breaker. If you cross to different breakers you will get less speed, and according to what I read the newest Power line adapters can theoretically go across phases. I would guess the speed cut from that would be enormous. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

10 minutes ago, Trikein said:

Last, are the two rooms on the same circuit breaker?

That should not make much of a difference unless you are continuously breaking your circuits.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER