powerline in socket extender?

My wifi sucks, so I have decided to buy a powerline kit. and I was wondering, if you could use it in a socket extender?

It won't work, even more with a surge protected extension kit. It has to be directly in the wall.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

It depends on the type of "extender".  A simple extension cord or even power bar with multiple plugs should work fine as long as there is a direct wire back the source within the unit, but any more advanced devices that have a higher level of separation may cause interference or cause it to not work at all.  I remember a LTT video a long time ago where Linus was setting up power over ethernet at the NCIX office, and he made a comment about it not working in a power bar, and of course the comments were flooded with people saying that was their exact setup and it works fine :D

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

mine is on a powerbar and it works fine. I have a computer, a router and a landline plugged into the same bar too so it should work for you too :D

should work as long the socket extender is only 1 socket, otherwise you can always buy powerlan adapters with an actual outlet and plug the extender into that one.

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

I have just removed my " 1 Gbps " Powerline Adapters.

I had mine plugged in directly to a socket next to the router, then on the other end it went PL Adapter // WALL SOCKET // 3 METER EXTENSION // 4 WAY GANG(BANK) // PL Adapter.

I found that even though my "connection" was reporting 1 Gbps at all times, the actual transfer speed after testing on worst case scenario as above, only gave 6 MBsec transfer, the less the extenders the better, I went to the best case, socket to socket with no extensions and it gave me around 50MBsec transfer.

ok thank you guys, I have just one more question is it slower if you have it in a power bar than just in the outlet?

Just now, Miksnake said:

ok thank you guys, I have just one more question is it slower if you have it in a power bar than just in the outlet?

See above.  Anything that degrades the signal will slow down transfers, but how much of an impact there will be depends on your exact setup.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

See above.  Anything that degrades the signal will slow down transfers, but how much of an impact there will be depends on your exact setup.

okay. thank you :)

Are you in the UK? Want to buy a 1 Gbps Power Line kit? lol

(And as said, see my last post for the speed reductions when using gangs / banks).

9 minutes ago, RickL said:

Are you in the UK? Want to buy a 1 Gbps Power Line kit? lol

(And as said, see my last post for the speed reductions when using gangs / banks).

unfortunately, I'm from Denmark :)

is this also the case if you use a "power bar" that doesn't have a wire attached to it, like this one.

http://www.harald-nyborg.dk/p7290/stikdaase-dobbelt-med-jord

I know that "power bar" isn't the right word for it, but I just couldn't be bothered to look it up :)

Yes, think of it like this..... your driving down the road, you hit a fork or a cross roads, each one has a STOP sign. You have to STOP and think which way to do, your using fuel at the same time. The more stops you make, the less fuel you have, the less you have when you reach your destination.

(Fuel is data speed)

Example of Extension 1

Example of Extension 2

Just now, RickL said:

Yes, think of it like this..... your driving down the road, you hit a fork or a cross roads, each one has a STOP sign. You have to STOP and think which way to do, your using fuel at the same time. The more stops you make, the less fuel you have, the less you have when you reach your destination.

(Fuel is data speed)

okay, thank you, I get it now. :)

Just now, RickL said:

(Fuel is data speed)

I would think of it this way: imagine shouting a long distance and/or in a loud room.  The louder/farther the distance, the most often you have to repeat yourself, yes?  And that effectively makes the conversation slower :)