One machine, Two networks, is it possible?

zassou
  • My objective:
    • gaming and general traffic, Network A,
    • heavy traffic like video streaming, file transfer,  Network B.
  • Network Layout:
    • FTTB "Dickshit", 20M downlink, ~1M uplink.
      • currently feeding all devices.
    • FTTB "Asshole", 100M downlink, 50M uplink.
      • fast but somewhat unstable.
    • One desktop PC (mine, heavy use, latency sensative), 2 laptop (light use) and several other devices.
    • one router, WRT541G with openwrt.

Dickshit is the old network of mine, it's expensive and slow, however it ties with my landline,therefore I can't cancel it.
But it does have pros, it's highly stable, it never spikes. Also low latency at gaming. (WoW, D3, SCII, GTAOL)

Asshole is a new carrier, it's dirt cheap, lightning fast. But it spikes a lot at rush hour, so it's not ideal for gaming.

I'm a graphic designer who mostly working at home. Uploading big files through Dickshit is my daily nightmare. The carrier is dickshit enough to not willing to give me a boost even if I willing to pay more.
Meanwhile, my family loves watching dramas and movies online. If they streaming, my latency spikes.

I'm hoping there is a way that can let my computer use both lines. Normal and gaming traffic go through Dickshit, heavy traffic like video streaming go through Asshole.

One more thing, if it possible, while I'm gaming through Dickshit, streaming it to Twitch through Asshole?

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

''Asshole is a new carrier, it's dirt cheap, lightning fast. But it spikes a lot at rush hour'',  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Yes its possible through Vlans. You need a Cisco switch or a router thats compatible DD wrt flashed on it...

||AMD FX-8150 ||asrock 990fx extreme||16GB DDR3|| AMD Radeon R8 M350DX||Dell S2409W 24"||LG 23"D2342P||

Thanks for the quality post.

But yes you can definitely use two networks. I don't know how to set it up on windows though. I wouldn't be surprised if windows didn't support it.

On linux though each network interface gets a different process sort of thing. So eno1 is the first ethernet connection eno2 is the next and so on. You could very easily tell your browser to use eno1 while you tell whatever else to use eno2.

Also like the guy above me said the other way is to use a network switch and then tell it what traffic goes through what network.

Windows 10 likes to spy on you. Protect your Data! Run GNU/Linux!
That One Privacy Guy's VPN Comparison Chart.

Spoiler
Spoiler

|ARCH LINUX| |CPU i5 4690k @ 4.7GHz| |GPU: Asus Strix 390x| |Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mk 2| |RAM: Corsair Veangence Pro 16gb (2x8gb) @2133mhz| |CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i| |PSU: 750w EVGA Supernova 80+ Gold| |Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX(Silver)| |K/B: Pok3r w/ Cherry MX Blues|

Spoiler

|Samsung 250GB 840 EVO: Arch Linux installation.| |Seagate Barracuda 2TB: Mostly Games and stuff related to that. Music and most Media as well.| |Seagate NAS 4TB: Anime and Anime Art-Whoring.| |Seagate 1TB 2.5" SSHD: Arch install on my Thinkpad X220.| |Samsung OEM Lenovo SSD: Windows 8.1 cause I need to play JRPGs some how.|

Spoiler

|Cans: Sennheiser HD 558(Modded)| |Earbuds: Shure SE215| I'm working on expanding this.

Thanks for replying.

After I done some research, there are two methods to do it. One involving configuring IP table, it's a dirty job but definity works. The other one is buy a wired router with 2 WAN ports, there some cheap one made by TP-Link seems fine.

The problem is, if these router can combine two lines as one, then when I playing multiplayer games, how'd I know which line I'm using? Will I switch lines automatically? If so, it will D/C my game.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

21 minutes ago, zacao said:

Thanks for replying.

After I done some research, there are two methods to do it. One involving configuring IP table, it's a dirty job but definity works. The other one is buy a wired router with 2 WAN ports, there some cheap one made by TP-Link seems fine.

The problem is, if these router can combine two lines as one, then when I playing multiplayer games, how'd I know which line I'm using? Will I switch lines automatically? If so, it will D/C my game.

Each router has it's own way, but generally each new connection (TCP connection or stream of similar UDP packets) gets assigned to one of the two WANs based on how much else is already assigned to the WANs. The servers you communucate with on the internet don't know about this split setup, and just respond to whichever WAN the traffic came from. When one of the links goes down, the router will start sending all traffic out the other link, although that does tend to cause any of the connections that were moved to fail and have to restart. If this happened to your game, most games will reconnect within a second or two, but some games might kick you out of the current match.

the ability to "pin" traffic for certain things to a specific WAN is going to vary by router. If you were to do this with a Mikrotik or Ubuiqiti router, you can set manual firewall rules to make sure certain traffic only goes out a specific WAN. With the tplink routers, I don't know if you can do that.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

If you don't want to spend on hardware for load balancing and you only need specific programs to be assigned to an ISP (Dickshit for gaming, everything else on Asshole) and you're the only one using your network, I'll suggest forcebindIP. If that specific criteria doesn't fit you, I'll suggest a router that supports multi-WAN.

If you have ddrt wrt you can set up qos rules, I don't know if there is an option to fliter them through different wans ports but that's is one option seeing as you want spefic traffic to go to spefic isp's. 

If you don't want to proitize your traffic, the iptables suggestion you where making sounds like a good idea to be honest, its just a lot of synax and rules to create.

What you want is a router or firewall that supports policy based routing. This is the only clean and reliable way of doing what you need.

Ubiquiti routers support this from my understanding but I have not tried it. I know Fortigate firewalls can do it since I install them as part of my job and run one at home, expensive so I recommend finding a cheaper solution.

What you are wanting to do is a high end business type requirement so don't expect any consumer devices to be able to do this unless it explicitly states it can and you have done some googling to make sure. Pfsesne and Sophos can probably do this also.

8 hours ago, zacao said:

The other one is buy a wired router with 2 WAN ports, there some cheap one made by TP-Link seems fine.

FYI, the Asus RT-N66U comes with dual WAN support out of the box. Can usually find them for under 100$. I think what you are trying to do is a bit beyond the hardware, but might be a avenue you can explore. Also, for some background, check out this walk through.

OK, what if, I do not want to increase the bandwidth like dual WAN router, instead to make different program goes through different network cards, kinda like proxy?

There's some gaming proxy services I think it uses similar method, make a virtual network card in your system, redirect gaming traffic to that card.
So what if I buy a PCI-E card, use it for gaming/browsing, while onboard card do the heavy lifting? I think this involving IP table editing, is there anyway can simplify this? Like a firewall, it's .exe based.

If you getting a second NIC and installing it in your PC and then running software to manage traffic, you are basically turning your PC into a big router. Instead, why not just have the two NICs and connect each to a different ISP. Then just disable what ever NIC corresponds with the ISP you don't want to use at that moment. It only gets more complicated when you want to use both at the SAME TIME. If you want to go that route, I suggest going with something pre-built, with a precedence of being done before. Unless this is more DIY fun and you are looking to get your hands dirty. 

"It's simple: Overspecialize, and you breed in weakness. It's slow death." B|

17 minutes ago, zacao said:

OK, what if, I do not want to increase the bandwidth like dual WAN router, instead to make different program goes through different network cards, kinda like proxy?

There's some gaming proxy services I think it uses similar method, make a virtual network card in your system, redirect gaming traffic to that card.
So what if I buy a PCI-E card, use it for gaming/browsing, while onboard card do the heavy lifting? I think this involving IP table editing, is there anyway can simplify this? Like a firewall, it's .exe based.

I don't get why you didn't look into forcebindIP. It's basically

ForceBindIP -i 1.2.3.4 c:\full\path\to\app.exe

where 1.2.3.4 is the IP of the interface, app.exe is the program you're trying to force to that interface.

On the other interface, just set its metrics lower than the interface using 1.2.3.4 IP so all traffic goes there (unless forced by the program mentioned).

2 minutes ago, MeshFile said:

I don't get why you didn't look into forcebindIP. It's basically

ForceBindIP -i 1.2.3.4 c:\full\path\to\app.exe

where 1.2.3.4 is the IP of the interface, app.exe is the program you're trying to force to that interface.

Wow, this is exactly what I want!

Now I figured out what I need to do, all it's is wating my cheap NIC and cheap router arrives. I'll try both method.